SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Proper use of the Traveler

36K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  SHNOOL 
#1 ·
Could someone give me a brief guide to the proper use of the traveler, I tend to keep mine centered. I know it does something but I don''t really know for sure what it is
Thanks

#2 ·
I hang a beer holder from the traveler car and use the traveler to transfer beverages to the other side of the cockpit, so I don''t have to get up or reach over.

Seriously, use the search function of the message board and type in "traveler" or "weather helm" and read through the results.

Allen Flanigan

#3 ·
I use the traveler quite a bit. When I''m going to windward in light air I cheat the traveler up so as to get the boom over the center of the boat without having to sheet so hard that I lose sail shape. I also use it when falling off the wind a bit. I can keep the main sheeted in and travel down to keep the boom from rising and again help maintain sail shape. This is more important if you don''t have a boom vang.
The traveler simply allows you to keep your sail shape over a wider area than if the main sheet was in a fixed position.
Best of luck
Dirt

#18 ·
good quick explanation. one point, though: the traveler is better at controlling boom lift close hauled and the vang is better at controlling it off of the wind. so, even if you have a vang, it is wise to use the traveler, as you point.

#4 ·
I think the most common use for a traveller is to use it to dump the main during puffs while sailing close-hauled. As the puff hits and weather helm develops, you ease the traveller down to spill air and reduce weather helm and heel.

This assumes your traveller is rigged with lines and blocks to allow you to move it while the main is under load.

bw

#5 ·
The traveler can be used to spill air during puffs and that certainly is a legit purpose but its real talent is changing the angle on your main sheet and thereby alterting the shape of your mainsail. Bringing it to windward induces twist in your main and powers up the rig. Bring the traveler to leeward tends to flatten the sail and depower it. In very simple terms...

#10 ·
Jeff you are the man! I always wondered how to use the traveler to help performance. I'm going to experiment with this on my next trip out.

Also, the information about the jib sheet leads really helped clear things up... So far no one was able to explain it to me in such clarity... It will take out a lot of confusion out of my next sailing day.

So far, I have only been using the traveler to move the boom out of the way when the main sail is down and I want to have a better view and more space to eat lunch in a calm :)

Kacper

#21 ·
So far, I have only been using the traveler to move the boom out of the way when the main sail is down and I want to have a better view and more space to eat lunch in a calm :)

Kacper
Frankly that is indeed a valid use of the traveler. Especially on the anchor or at the dock. It also helps in moving the boom so I can get the sail cover on.
My traveler serves as a back rest (read - annoyance under sail) when it is centered.

Mostly I use it not for performance, but to spill air and manage heel - something that is a nice side affect and beneficial to cruisers who don't too much care about the extra .1kt but do indeed care about not waking up the off watch.

#12 ·
Dur!

Thanks Jeff for the explanation! I've started to use the traveller over the last year and to adjust the jib sheet lead to try and match wind twist. However the idea of over twisting the jib to spill wind high up and avoid over powering (assuming I understood correctly) was a useful addition for me....

I was also interested in the need to over-tighten leaches with sails that have UV strips. I've noticed this on some of the boats I rent and was wondering if perhaps I was missing some other way to tension the leach without developing that ugly "hook" in the sail. Is there a way around this problem?

Thanks again!

#16 ·
Note - traveler is typically last sail control to be manipulated. First get the rest of controls dialed in and only then mess with traveler.

Also note, many modern performance rigs require hardly any traveler use. Bang sheeting and backstay are designed to 'effectively' depower sail.

A few modern performance rigs have even done away with traveler entirely

This post has been deleted
#22 ·
With all due respect, while that is partially right, it over-simplifies how these controls work, and minimizes the impact of the other controls to the point that it is not really an accurate statement.

#23 ·
When close hauled in light winds, moving the traveler towards the wind - make the boat go faster. In heavy winds moving traveler downwind makes the boat heel less. Also, you can move the traveler using the main sail like an air rudder to balance the helm. Its a lot of fun.

#24 ·
Jeff's description of what a traveler does for you is spot on.

I totally get cruisers "poo-pooing" in that .1 knot of speed (but I'd argue we are talking as much as 1.0 knot of speed, but OK).

Perhaps it's just my ignorance, but do cruisers NEVER go to windward? If that being the case there must be MANY cruising spinnakers then.... or even as well go to windward in current? Or is the iron genny really the only thing used while going to windward in those situations?

I'd think a necessary grasp of coarse adjustments of trim being essential for all sailors, you know, JUST IN CASE?... After all I've seen many a cruising sailboat have travelers, surely they can't ALL be using them for beer movement. As well, backstay adjusters, vangs (or was it bangs?), and moveable jib cars. Surely a minor adjustment in all of the above only gaining .1-.2 knot a piece could easily garner a full knot when taken in total, and frankly overcome much lost headway upstream at the very least, again, likely unnecessary if fossil fuels are being burned I am sure (but what if motor sailing)?

Perhaps I lost the sarcasm in the posts.

#27 ·
.... but do cruisers NEVER go to windward?
Totally with you, SHNOOL... We raced for quite a long time, don't any more but I honestly don't think we sail any differently when sailing than we did if we were racing (other than being more cautions setting the kite in a breeze, with only two on board)

That extra .2, .5, 1.0 knot attainable by good sail trim and smart 'tactics' wrt the course being sailed can mean the difference between getting that last marina spot, favoured mooring buoy at your favourite park, or simply getting to your destination before the bay 'fills up'.. it can get you on the right side of a tide shift, catching a tidal narrows at a better time, etc etc...

To my wife's chagrin I'm a constant tweaker.. sheets, traveller, vang and she's not allowed to sit anywhere that blocks my view of the knotmeter (not the GPS!) We'll tack several times to avoid adverse current...

We DO see so many 'cruisers' motoring upwind in stellar conditions with plenty of daylight left.. hell we even see boats motoring across the strait in a 12 knot beam breeze and can only just shake our heads.

There are many, many skilled and dedicated sailors out there, no mistake... but there are also the others...

#25 ·
Jeff- I'm curious as to the order in which you use your controls. I find after just a few day sails you kind of know how much backstay tension to put on for various wind speeds. So generally set it and forget it. Of course think about decreasing it when going down wind. I find the first control for me is halyard tension and outhaul, then backstay, then vang and traveler. Do you think this varies by boat ( e.g. more effect from backstay on a fractional rig then masthead) or do you have a favorite order?

#26 ·
Jeff,
So many thanks!!!! I've picked up a sailboat six months ago, on a huge learning curve, really want to ride the wind!!!!!! The owner passed away 17 years ago, the boat was rough, but no one to direct me with what was there. Again, thanks, this was a question I needed to ask, but didn't know what to ask! Still on that learning cure, but nuggets of info are so enjoyable!!!! Merry Christmas & a Very Happy New Year
blparrot PS, my 1st sailboat!!

#28 ·
this cal 27 will be my first boat to actually have a traveler. the dinghy has a bridle and the holiday runs the sheet from the end of the boom to a block at the starboard corner then to a block to the port corner and then to a block on the boom and on up til it drops to hand, about mid boom.

#29 ·
I'll admit I do tend to poo-poo the .1kt extra that good trim provides..but I'm doing it (currently) as a day sailor.
As a cruiser that .1 kt, and admittedly sometimes even 1kt, can mean several more miles per day - and that matters greatly on arrival time and perhaps even arrival day.

That said - even for cruising - I'd prefer to spend those extra hours/day under way at 5 degrees as opposed to 10.

I can fill the Rum mug fuller at 5 degrees, that makes for less trips to the below decks barrels.

#30 ·
Chuckles... have you not heard of gimbaled drink holders? Geesh. Heel away!

5? not 10?
How about 15 to 20, or you just aren't going to windward. Now if we're racing? Ok, so we'll throw some crew at the rail to get us to 10 or less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.