Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013

mdidomenico is on a distinguished road
Looking for next boat

I've taken up sailing over the last couple years, my short term goal was to get a little dingy i could use on the local lake to get my feet wet. i have a mutineer which is doing great. over the next 2yrs i'd like to get into a boat which i'd feel comfortable out in barnegat bay, and few a years after that something much larger i can get out past the inlet into the ocean.

I've been trolling around craigslist and other places looking at what i might get next. I saw this pop up on craigslist a few days ago

cnj.craigslist.org/boa/3851207211.html

So given my goals and the collective wisdom of sailnet i have two questions.

1. is a hunter 23 a good next boat for me given my skill level (beginner). i'll mostly be sailing with my gf and kids. i'm mostly looking for something i can take out into the bay and relax on for the day (but not get rundown or swamped by the other boats). is there something more family cruising friendly about the same size or a little larger.

2. is the mentioned boat a good project boat? i'm not a skilled trademen, but wasnt afraid to dissemble my mutineer and fix it up. i also, oddly enough, enjoy working on boats. it'll be a year or more before i actually feel comfortable out in the bay (after my asa classes).

i'd prefer to fix up a boat (so i know exactly how shipshape it is) rather then get a fixed up one (plus it's cheaper and i can spread the cost over the next 2yrs rather then 4k all at once). given that hurricane sandy ripped through this area, the question lies in what's likely to be wrong with the hull.

given the low price it doesn't seem worth it to get a survey, the cost would probably be more then the boat. not to mention it's literally just a hull. I haven't seen it or called the guy yet.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2013

ctl411 is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for next boat

I would pass on that boat if they gave it to me. Find a boat with all the major parts. Lots of give away boats on eBay would be better.
Old 06-11-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Here is the active link to your 23' Hunter.
23ft Hunter Sailboat

No sails, no engine, no rutter(? rudder) = no deal at any price.
You should be able to do much better than that.
Visit all the marinas around Barnegat Bay and you will find something better, or at least more complete. There must be a few boats that barely survived Sandy that are in need of someone taking them on.

Unless you just want to buy a pair of oars and an anchor and paddle around Barnegat bay attracting flies.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-11-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I'm cheap, and I'm all for finding a fantastic value in a fixer-upper boat. This is not one of those boats. This screams "Hurricane Sandy Victim" to me, and I wouldn't touch it with a 100-foot pole (as opposed to the conventional 10-foot pole). The market in the NJ area right now is tough, because Sandy created artificial demand. Last year this time, boats were going for VERY cheap. This year, it's hard to find a good, inexpensive boat because they are getting snatched up by people with insurance money. Your best bet is either to wait until the fall, when prices will be lower, or look outside the NJ area. I wouldn't go north (Long Island and parts of Connecticut were hit as bad/worse than the NJ shore); that means you're looking in Philly (Delaware River) or the Baltimore/Annapolis/Eastern Shore areas of Maryland. Check out Sailboat Listings - sailboats for sale and Sailboats for sale from Sailing Texas, buy or sell your sailboat, free sailboat ads. for other boats for sale, as well as eBay.

Hunter 23-25 or Catalina 22-25 are fine first boats especially if you aren't leaving Barnegat Bay. The biggest thing to look for is one in good condition, and for that you'll have to get aboard. There are self-assessment/inspection articles all over the place (there is one here on Sailnet, and another at the Catalina 25 Owner's association at Catalina - Capri - 25s International Association, for example). Boats that size are big enough to begin to be comfortable for overnights/weekends, but light enough that you can still man-handle them when necessary. The care and feeding of a boat that size is also relatively low compared to bigger boats. As you get bigger, boats get heavier (tends to make them more stable, though not always), and they have more complex and substantial components that cost more to repair/replace, plus the slip fees go up by quite a bit.

Jumping back for a second, there's a saying here that a $10,000 boat will still cost you $10,000, even if you only pay $2,000 for it, and it is fairly accurate (I'd venture to guess it's more like $7000-$8000, not $10,000). Of course, the difference is that you don't have to put out all that money at once. I can appreciate the desire for a project boat, but I'd respectfully suggest finding one that can at least be sailed and enjoyed, and then working from there. Otherwise, it will quickly become yet another project that sits around and never gets done, and you'll regret the decision.

If I ever get my boat repaired, we'll be keeping her in Forked River. I live in PA, near Lansdale. If you find a boat and want someone to come take a look at it with you, let me know and I'll see what I can do.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jimgo; 06-11-2013 at 03:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimgo For This Useful Post:
mdidomenico (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013
Why is the rum gone?

Staredge is on a distinguished road

Bawlmer CL has a 27' Catalina. (not mine)(and that's Baltimore, for y'uns that are not from around here) DC has a couple about that size, but those are in Virginia.

(hope I'm not breaking any rules....just trying to be helpful)
Old 06-12-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

that would be a 10k+ boat when you are done and they are worth 4-5k

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.