SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Help w/ Boat Search (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/10039-help-w-boat-search.html)

NDouble 07-05-2004 12:09 PM

Help w/ Boat Search

First of all hello all, I am a first time poster, but long time lurker on sailnet.

My fiance and I have finally decided not to buy an overpriced house or condo in MA and are now starting the search for a year-round liveaboard approx 50ft. The purchase does not need to take place for another 12 months, so we''re not in a rush.

I would like to keep the budget between $200k-275k, and the boat will be used over the next few years in the following manner.

Lived aboard year round, sailed transatlantic at least twice yearly along with multiple trips from MA/CT to FL & the Virgin Islands. Used quite a bit for entertaining customers and extended family and will be sailed to Sydney, AU in 2007.

Looking for opinions and recomendations, we are knowledgeable about the different brands and their limitations/advantages but I want to explore every direction as this will be a longterm investment.

thanks much,

Nate

39512 07-06-2004 02:47 AM

Help w/ Boat Search

Have you decided whether a keel boat or centerboard boat is more desirable? Aft or center cockpit? Cutter, sloop or split rig?

sonian 07-06-2004 12:28 PM

Help w/ Boat Search

NDouble,
I sail a Hunter 170 daysailer on Florida lakes mostly, and some ICW, so I''m as far from an expert in 50''ers as they come...but from drooling over the pages of Sailboat Trader and the major mags, I''ve noticed that a keelboat called an Island Packet is extremely well-made and holds value exceptionally well. You might check them out. I envy your decision, and hope to own a cruiser some day myself. Full sails,
Mike G.
Alachua, FL
s/v ''Lil Sport'' -h170

NDouble 07-07-2004 05:43 AM

Help w/ Boat Search

I have sailed on mostly keel boats, because it is what my extended family and friends have owned, but I am not opposed to a centerboard as there are advantages to them.
I would prefer an aft cockpit, only because that is what I have the most experience with. Leaning towards a sloop, but I have had some great fun in rough water in a cutter. Thanks for the questions and suggestions... and keep em comin.

Happy trails and full sails,

Nate

paulk 07-07-2004 12:31 PM

Help w/ Boat Search

Wanting to impress clients and sail to Australia will require something that is both nice and solid -- not every boat is both. Have you seen any Stevens 47''s?

NDouble 07-08-2004 08:21 AM

Help w/ Boat Search

Paul,

Yes I have seen the S&S 47, and it is near the top of the possibilities list.

Also having customers out on the boat will be a once in awhile thing. I don''t need tons of ornate wood to impress anyone, just the capacity to do some day sailing with 6+ people. The priority is a safe/fun cruiser that can complete the trips I have planned, be day sailed until these trips and lived aboard full-time. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Happy trails and full sails,

Nate