Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Initial Offer Question

There's another factor I'm looking at - resale. There's a never ending list of production boats for sale so when it comes time to sell, to either go up or out, if you have a production boat, that you want to sell quickly, you will most likely have to sell it at a much lower than value price. I've seen production boats priced in the $30-50K range that have been for sale over a year. I wouldn't want to get stuck there though I know there's no guarantee I won't by buying up. It's always a roll of the dice.

I'm an avid woodworker and being surrounded by beautiful woodwork and joinery can be soothing to me. The boat is my escape. When I see interiors filled with white fiberglass, it hurts my eyes. I'm just finishing up a cabinet refacing in the kitchen, my first time working with sapele. It's absolutely gorgeous! Salepe has such beautiful chatoyance. I think I like it better than figured maple.

And I need that. Yes, NEED. My friends joke, telling me my house looks like a boat. Gee, I wonder why... So I'm willing to pay extra for that. It's worth it to me.

I got this from BoatUS today:
Resale value is estimated to be $35,796.00, although, noting the age, the specific vessel could easily be properly priced significantly higher (or lower).

We would, therefore, encourage at least an informal "sense of things" inspection and consultation with a marine surveyor prior to making an offer, to be followed up by a thorough pre-purchase survey upon acceptance of the offer.

In any case, it is recommended that you avail yourself of a sea-trial, to include flying all sails in the inventory, a complete rigging and hull survey, and a separate engine and engineering survey of the mechanical propulsion components, preferably by an experienced technician certified for that brand of machinery, and including a spectrographic analysis of the engine oil.

The owners are asking $49,900. If lenders start at the BoatUS number, it seems a stretch to get to almost $50K, especially with the original motor. At least it's not an Atomic!

We'll take a look at it this weekend. We'll be looking at other boats too.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Julie - I just went through this purchasing my Hunter 40.

Smack, The Boys & Their Yacht

Offered 22% below asking. Purchase price ended-up about 25% below asking after settling on some work that needed to be done. Everyone's pretty happy.
TakeFive and JulieMor like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 06-20-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Initial Offer Question

Offer $30k and see what happens?
Old 06-20-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
This will not become an emotional decision.
Now that's just funny.
Good luck with that.
Just like picking a man to marry is not an emotional decision.
Good bone structure, good teeth, solid career, good family.
No emotions necessary.

I do know what you mean though.
jameswilson29 likes this.

Last edited by davidpm; 06-20-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-20-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There's another factor I'm looking at - resale. There's a never ending list of production boats for sale so when it comes time to sell, to either go up or out, if you have a production boat, that you want to sell quickly, you will most likely have to sell it at a much lower than value price. I've seen production boats priced in the $30-50K range that have been for sale over a year. I wouldn't want to get stuck there though I know there's no guarantee I won't by buying up. It's always a roll of the dice.

I'm an avid woodworker and being surrounded by beautiful woodwork and joinery can be soothing to me. The boat is my escape. When I see interiors filled with white fiberglass, it hurts my eyes. I'm just finishing up a cabinet refacing in the kitchen, my first time working with sapele. It's absolutely gorgeous! Salepe has such beautiful chatoyance. I think I like it better than figured maple.

And I need that. Yes, NEED. My friends joke, telling me my house looks like a boat. Gee, I wonder why... So I'm willing to pay extra for that. It's worth it to me.

I got this from BoatUS today:
Resale value is estimated to be $35,796.00, although, noting the age, the specific vessel could easily be properly priced significantly higher (or lower).

We would, therefore, encourage at least an informal "sense of things" inspection and consultation with a marine surveyor prior to making an offer, to be followed up by a thorough pre-purchase survey upon acceptance of the offer.

In any case, it is recommended that you avail yourself of a sea-trial, to include flying all sails in the inventory, a complete rigging and hull survey, and a separate engine and engineering survey of the mechanical propulsion components, preferably by an experienced technician certified for that brand of machinery, and including a spectrographic analysis of the engine oil.

The owners are asking $49,900. If lenders start at the BoatUS number, it seems a stretch to get to almost $50K, especially with the original motor. At least it's not an Atomic!

We'll take a look at it this weekend. We'll be looking at other boats too.
Julie as a wood geek I'm just thrilled that you used chatoyance in your post

Seriously as I read through this thread I kept coming back to something a wise broker once told me - A well loved boat, in good condition will always sell quickly regardless of the market.

From what I've seen over the past few years he was right. If this is the boat on YachtWorld that others have mentioned it certainly looks well loved, and in a boat this age a well maintained boat really stands out from the crowd. It won't last long on the market.

Is the price too high? Well you said it yourself, you'll know when you step aboard if this is the boat for you. Make what you think is a fair offer contingent upon a survey and test sail. Tell the broker why you think it's worth X so they have something to go back with besides a number. That can make a difference. No need to beat the seller over the head.

And as for the brand/boat, well you keep coming back to Sabre. Even if you can't exactly put your finger on it there's a reason those boats appeal to you. That's all the reason you need. Best of luck and hopefully she's the one.
TakeFive and JulieMor like this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
The Following User Says Thank You to JimMcGee For This Useful Post:
JulieMor (06-21-2013)
Old 06-20-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Julie - I just went through this purchasing my Hunter 40.

Smack, The Boys & Their Yacht

Offered 22% below asking. Purchase price ended-up about 25% below asking after settling on some work that needed to be done. Everyone's pretty happy.
Smack Congrats!

Best of luck with her.
smackdaddy and TakeFive like this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 06-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Now that's just funny.
Good luck with that.
Just like picking a man to marry is not an emotional decision.
Good bone structure, good teeth, solid career, good family.
No emotions necessary.

I do know what you mean though.
Thanks David! Now you're challenging my ability to lie to myself and the rest of the world? I don't need a shrink. I need people who will ignore facts and encourage me to indulge myself in my fantasies.
Old 06-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Julie as a wood geek I'm just thrilled that you used chatoyance in your post
Chatoyance

JimMcGee likes this.
Old 06-20-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks David! Now you're challenging my ability to lie to myself and the rest of the world? I don't need a shrink. I need people who will ignore facts and encourage me to indulge myself in my fantasies.
At least we are in the same (pun alert) boat.
Old 06-20-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Hi Julie, I own an '85 Sabre 34, and while I think my boat is worth every bit of $60,000.
;-) I'd never get it. Nor would I expect to get $50,000. If I could. I'd probably sell it today and help you sail it home. ;-) Then I'd buy that Kelly Peterson that's been offered here.
Or look for a Sabre 362. In the meantime, as the song goes, "I'll love the one I'm with"
and I do.

I believe Boat US has probably given you good information as have others here. I thought Chef was also right on the mark with his $ estimates of the market.

I may not be the fastest boat out there, but I am very pleased with her sailing performance.
I put new sails on her shortly after taking possession and new sails make a huge difference in performance. No need for a 150.

Maintenence is everything and a poorly maintained Sabre like any other boat could reveal expensive repairs.
Things I'd look for would be: any evidence of leaks around chainplates that have gone unattended, Check the mast step for any corrosion. ( I got to mine in time) I'd check the cockpit sole around the emergency tiller location for soft spots, to mention a few. If you get that far a good surveyor will pick up those items. The engine looks like it is pretty clean and maintained. I'd check the heat exchanger for corrosion. That's a $400 part. ( I know) Hopefully he's changed the zincs regularly.
He's got 4 batteries on that boat? I'm not sure what he's running since it doesn't seem like there's a lot of electronics, but that Electrical Panel didn't have alot of room for all the modern conveniences. I wonder. See if he's running stuff directly from the batts.

The woodwork is pretty decent, but I wouldn't call it a Mercedes. Having dug into it a little, there are a few things that Sabre could have done better. There was alot of bare wood under the vinyl liners that wasn't treated in any way. The handrails are not bolted through but screwed into the core. Check for any leaks. The opening ports could have been a better quality and I may decide one day to replace mine.

It's a pretty Traditional Layout. Not really spacious by today's standards but quite comfortable for a couple. You might find that the most comfortable berth is the salon pullout.

I'd prefer a head that was aft rather than forward as mine is. With the table unfolded and open the head is not easily accessed. That said, I spend more time in the cockpit. So it's rarely an issue.
I do like an aft head..to get out of wet gear and so that you don't go through the salon if people are sleeping off watch. ..but that too hasn't been a major issue lately.

The Seacocks are as good as you can get imo. Don't let anyone replace them..just keep em cleaned and lubricated.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the heck out of my Sabre. I've owned it for 8 years and sailed her 18, buying from a friend. She's been up and down the east coast of the US from Maine to Jacksonville and to Bermuda. I'm trying to be realistic. Given your sailing plans, there are any number of vessels that would fit the bill. You probably don't need to spend that much money on a 30 year old vessel. I'd negotiate a better price or keep looking.
JulieMor likes this.

Last edited by Tempest; 06-20-2013 at 09:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tempest For This Useful Post:
JulieMor (06-21-2013)