Not a Member? 

Like Tree56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Initial Offer Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Thanks David! Now you're challenging my ability to lie to myself and the rest of the world? I don't need a shrink. I need people who will ignore facts and encourage me to indulge myself in my fantasies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Now that's just funny.
Good luck with that.
Just like picking a man to marry is not an emotional decision.
Good bone structure, good teeth, solid career, good family.
No emotions necessary.

I do know what you mean though.
When you walk down the dock or dinghy away from the mooring there is a tendency to look back over your shoulder at your boat.

If she doesn't put a smile on your face, fill you with a little bit of pride, then she's simply not worth having.

Yeah, you have to check out all the systems. Yeah you have to make sure the numbers work on some level.

But at the end of the day EVERY boat is an emotional purchase.
davidpm and mark2gmtrans like this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White

Last edited by JimMcGee; 06-21-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I paid asking because I wanted the boat and needed time to come up with the cash. After he accepted the offer the P.O. threw in about 10k of additional stuff that he could have sold separately.
I don't consider re-sale of a boat when I buy it (i.e. will I get my money out). I buy a boat because I like it and it's sound and meets my need.

Julie, if this is YOUR boat, offer what you think will be accepted. If it's rejected ask for a counter, then counter that etc, but always stipulate final is on completion and possible rectification of survey/issues.
Old 06-21-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Thanks David! Now you're challenging my ability to lie to myself and the rest of the world? I don't need a shrink. I need people who will ignore facts and encourage me to indulge myself in my fantasies.
I've sat quietly through all of this, and I'll say that you've completely crossed the line of being a "thoughtful, and frugal shopper" into total paralysis.

You've built a list of impossible-to-satisfy criteria, along with the equally impossible criteria that this entire list must be satisfied. It seems that you're more in love with the idea of boat shopping, than boat ownership or any actual sailing.

I recommend that you sign up for a fractional sailing membership, like www.Sailtime.com, and spare yourself the agony of "should I or shouldn't I?" This way, you can enjoy sailing without worrying about surveys, re-sale values, and all the other stuff you're worried about. It's guilt-free, responsibility-free and as low-risk as possible.

I understand your desire to make a smart purchase, but your insistance that all risks be 100% eliminated, and that the boat perfectly conform to your fantasty, is unrealistic.

You have made "perfect" be the enemy of "very good" for the express purpose of sabotaging your boat purchase. That way you're safe, because you haven't made a mistake.

You'll pop up here every few months, for years, with some new boat that you're looking at on Yachtworld, asking the same advice over and over...but you'll never buy a boat. You'll always have a perfectly good reason not to pull the trigger. Something won't be perfect enough.

Once more, for the record:
I applaud your desire to make a smart purchase, not rushing headlong into a project, but you're paralyzed.
jameswilson29 likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 06-21-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I've sat quietly through all of this, and I'll say that you've completely crossed the line of being a "thoughtful, and frugal shopper" into total paralysis.

You've built a list of impossible-to-satisfy criteria, along with the equally impossible criteria that this entire list must be satisfied. It seems that you're more in love with the idea of boat shopping, than boat ownership or any actual sailing.

I recommend that you sign up for a fractional sailing membership, like www.Sailtime.com, and spare yourself the agony of "should I or shouldn't I?" This way, you can enjoy sailing without worrying about surveys, re-sale values, and all the other stuff you're worried about. It's guilt-free, responsibility-free and as low-risk as possible.

I understand your desire to make a smart purchase, but your insistance that all risks be 100% eliminated, and that the boat perfectly conform to your fantasty, is unrealistic.

You have made "perfect" be the enemy of "very good" for the express purpose of sabotaging your boat purchase. That way you're safe, because you haven't made a mistake.

You'll pop up here every few months, for years, with some new boat that you're looking at on Yachtworld, asking the same advice over and over...but you'll never buy a boat. You'll always have a perfectly good reason not to pull the trigger. Something won't be perfect enough.

Once more, for the record:
I applaud your desire to make a smart purchase, not rushing headlong into a project, but you're paralyzed.
Ouch

I respectfully disagree. ( which is a first as we usually are on the same page)

I didn't see the OP that way at all. She made it clear her priorities of buying a boat were on hold while she initially had to make repairs and finish the upgrading of her house.

I believe she has concluded that she now has the time as well as the financial ability to become a boat owner and is going through the process of whittling down the criteria.

Not everyone plunges into decisions as quickly as others and those of us who are further along in our lives with the prospects of limited future funds are as quick to pull the trigger. A financial mistake in your sixties is harder to recover from one in your 40s. In addition some take more time to make a decision and analyze every detail where others push forward and deal with the details as they face you. neither is the CORRECT way to do it as there really is no CORRECT way. To the person who makes quick decisions the person who is meticulous seems paralyzed. To the meticulous person the quick decision maker acts without enough thought.

I believe the OP has her head on straight and has no misguided illusions of finding the all perfect boat. Being the first time purchaser as she is she is overly cautious, which IMHO is better than being impulsive.

I don't think Sailtime is not the solution for her ultimately and that her sorte into boat ownership will come at the rate she feels most comfortable with.

From first hand experience I know that my wife and I process things differently. She will often want to think about and ponder something , where I am more likely to come to a conclusion faster with the knowledge that if its wrong I will adapt and change course. I have learned she isn't "paralyzed", its just that her though process on something which doesn't REQUIRE immediate decision is different than mine. She is a neonatal nurse so she makes many quick decisions easily, but when it comes to something like a boat, my wife would mull things over a lot.

With PATIENCE I have learned to give her the time so she is ultimately comfortable with her decision or ours.

Continue on Julie.

dave
JimMcGee, davidpm and TakeFive like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-21-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Bubblehead, you take a tongue-in-cheek comment and rant on that? But if you're so sure I won't buy a boat, put your money where your mouth is. I'm game. Are you?
chef2sail and TakeFive like this.
Old 06-21-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

It wasn't a single, tounge-in-cheek comment, it's the entire thought process that drew me to this conclusion.

No, I won't put my money where my mouth is. I'm not at all invested in how your boat purchase or non-purchase turns out. It's not a competition. I was merely opining on your endless hand-wringing and vacillating during the boat purchase process.

It's just my opinion, probably not worth the cost of the electrons to display it on this forum. Carry on.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 06-21-2013

ctl411 is on a distinguished road

Offer what (you) think the boat is worth. Look at the total market to judge this, not just a certain model. We have offered 30 to over 50% off asking, most said yes. Our current under contract is also a over 50% off boat. Bad location is the major reason. Should have it final next week if survey goes well.
Oh if the boat you are looking at is listed by "captain Ed" good luck. I worked on a boat he has for a couple years. Finally got reasonable and down to the price range we first offered but we are now in a higher range of boat. That boat is still for sale last I looked. Still a buyers market lots of boats. Don't fall in love until after you own it. But do buy a boat you can love otherwise what's the point. In the end only YOU need to be happy with the deal.
Old 06-21-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
It's just my opinion, probably not worth the cost of the electrons to display it on this forum.
At least we agree on something. Next time, save the electrons. Just my opinion.
chef2sail and TakeFive like this.
Old 06-21-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

" I once bought a new Nissan Titan 4x4 four door pickup for $27,000.00 less than what the dealer was asking."
Considering that even today the Titan LISTS for $30-40,000 and the dealers don't get anything near a 200% markup...maybe you'd like to rephrase that statement? You didn't buy a truck for 75% off the sticker price, unless you were holding a gun to someone's head, or some equally unusual circumstance.
Old 06-21-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
" I once bought a new Nissan Titan 4x4 four door pickup for $27,000.00 less than what the dealer was asking."
Considering that even today the Titan LISTS for $30-40,000 and the dealers don't get anything near a 200% markup...maybe you'd like to rephrase that statement? You didn't buy a truck for 75% off the sticker price, unless you were holding a gun to someone's head, or some equally unusual circumstance.
2005 Nissan Titan four door 4x4 listed with all options at Family Nissan in Laredo, TX stickered new at the time at $53,000.00 it was loaded with a lot of options, including a custom bedliner, installed roll bars in the bed, a sliding bed extender, leather interior, navigation, and a lot more. If you think I would bother inflating the price, or lying about it that is just silly. I spent the time to negotiate with them, and I got it for just a little over what it cost them. I was in the business of buying and selling semi-trucks and heavy equipment and transporting them and had bought some other vehicles from them as well. You are quoting the lowest possible price on a two door, two wheel drive, with a short bed and no options. Price one out at your local Nissan dealer loaded like that, you will find it to be more expensive than your $40,000.00 price tag.

Anyways, you really need to look at the margins on new vehicles, they are usually stickered at something about 200 to 225% of what the vehicle costs the dealer when you throw in the manufacturer to dealer volume discounts, some dealers sticker low, some do not. The sticker is not the price anyone pays if they have 25% of a brain.