Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By JulieMor
  • 1 Post By jameswilson29

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
So Much Lookin' I Got Sunburned!

Finally! It only took about 40 years from the first time that I stepped on a sailboat to that time when I could actually buy one. Today was the day the search began. And I have sunburns and blisters. It was a long day.

Learned a lot. Saw the boats we wanted and then let the broker help us to better choices. Wise man.

This is like a "getting warmer" hunt. The crystal ball is becoming less foggy.
SloopJonB and jimgo like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: So Much Lookin' I Got Sunburned!

Good going.
doing a lot of looking gives you a better idea of what is out there and available.
You'll bring along sunblock when you finally sail the boat you do get.
I predict more sunny skies in your immediate future.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to CalebD For This Useful Post:
JulieMor (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Go The Julie!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
The Following User Says Thank You to smackdaddy For This Useful Post:
JulieMor (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Good. I predict a few more sun sessions followed by years of sun.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
JulieMor (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Yay! Congratulations! So, what did you see? What did you learn? My first time around, I was aboard easily 10-15 boats. I learned, for example, that my definitions of "well maintained" and "family friendly" vary significantly from those of others. I also learned what a chainplate actually was, and what it looks like when a chainplate has a bad leak.

Good luck with the search!
1975 Albacore 15

The Following User Says Thank You to jimgo For This Useful Post:
JulieMor (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
... let the broker help us to better choices. Wise man...
You might be suffering from heat stroke. Drink plenty of cold fluids and put cold compresses on your forehead and neck!
bljones likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to jameswilson29 For This Useful Post:
JulieMor (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I knew that "let the broker help us" statement would get some laughs. But I was surprised how quickly he picked out the things we were looking for in a boat even though I never told him. I was fairly quiet but crawling around the boats like a rat. My SO did most of the talking.

We started out looking at an '89 C&C 37+. The boat was in their yard and before we got to it he said it wasn't the right boat for us. And they owned the boat (took it in trade). When I saw it I imagined my son and his muscle bound friends working their butts off trying to tame this thing. And a wealthy owner paying tens of thousands to fix it up. NEXT!

Then he showed us a 1999 Catalina 36. Very roomy and comfortable both in the cockpit and below. It was a new listing, a bit above our price range and no desire to negotiate much right now.

The next one was an '84 Sabre 34. Even though the broker and dock neighbors talked the boat up, I couldn't find the love. Maintenance was fair, there was evidence of leaks, and some other red flags. We both agreed this wasn't our boat.

Then we were shown an '80 C&C 34. If I was ten years younger and wanted to refit a boat, it would be worth considering. But I want to sail before I die.

The final was a '91 Ericson 34/35 (it's 34' 10"). It's built by Pacific Seacraft and the quality showed. The boat was just sold but the broker said he felt this boat would fit us pretty well. After going through the boat, we both agreed. I guess Pacific Seacraft took over Ericson in 1990 and '91 was the first PS-built Ericson. We threw Ericson into the hat.

One lesson learned was in relation to the pictures posted on the web. When assessing the condition of the boat, drop it down a couple or more notches. When determining the spaciousness, imagine it 70% or less spacious. With three of us in the saloon of the Sabre 34 there wasn't even enough room to change my mind.

The search continues...
Old 06-24-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Hopefully in all this you start to see the good boats behind the mold, dirt, and neglect. Pretty and nice boats that show well do get higher prices. In my my mind, the most important issues are keel and structure, engine and drive train, sails and rigging.

my current "project"!
Old 06-24-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

The pre-Pacific Seacraft Ericsons are also very nice boats.

It sounds like you are looking for a well cared for mid-level or nicer cruising sailboat. There are a lot of options out there, I hope you find the one that you want soon. That is what I was looking for in my current boat, and I really like the choice that I ultimately made. We were looking at smaller boats than you (due to moorage costs).

Well maintained boats that also had the systems well maintained (good engine maint, good sails, good electrical, etc) are worth a bit more and will let you get on the water sooner. When I bought my Pearson I was intentionally looking for well loved boats because even though the purchase price was higher I think it's cheaper than buying a boat that needs major work and doing a decade or more of catch up. I've still done a lot of work on the Pearson, but it's been stuff that I love doing (new rigging, some electrical and electronics upgrades, upgrading sails).