Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013
SV. Syrena, Morgan 462

mzw is on a distinguished road
Re: Transport of boat over land

Arrigoni Marine Movers... moved my Morgan 462 ketch from FLA to MA... I would recommend them. Located in CT, i believe they cover the whole US... Google them and get a quote... my boat arrived without any bottom damage...
they were great to deal with...

Good Luck
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcgov View Post
Not bottom damage -- just rubbing off the ablative bottom paint where the supports ride. Even the best trailers are gonna wear the pad areas thin, if a soft paint was used. So you'll need to plan at least a touch-up bottom job before relaunching. It ain't an insurance claim, but the accepted wear and tear of road transport -- which is acknowledged in the standard contract as the owner's problem.

I clearly placed commissioning and decommissioning costs with the marinas, not the transporter. They will still need to be paid. My point was the trucking might be the cheap part. We paid more for the marina work at one end, plus renting a 20,000# forklift for unloading the boat at our end, than we paid for the actual 1000 mile truck delivery. Involve a second marina, you are gonna pay a round thousand for mast work alone. $13.50 a foot at Crowley's Yacht Yard.

That's why I suggested the OP should at least price on-the-water delivery service against the total cost of overland transport -- not just a freight quote, but all up. Does Dockwise make that run? *checks* Doesn't look like it.
I see now what you are talking about. I personally had several layers of padding, and the tie downs to make it fast to the trailer and air ride suspension on the trailer and the truck. I never had a claim against me, and we had extremely low claims against the entire company. I would go out in a truck and actually move boats at times just as part of the perks of being high enough up the food chain to get away with a trip like that haha. I have seen damage done to ablative paint, and the softer it is the easier it is to rough it up, I guess that would not be a claim issue.

The cost of a Captain and crew may be less than the ground move, I know I would consider it, probably do it myself if I could swing the time on it and it was my boat. I would say he may be able to get it done for a reasonable rate. The other option is to sell it in LA and buy something in Seattle...might work out, who knows.
Old 06-26-2013

Unkle Toad is on a distinguished road

Try Uship .. its the company that the quotes on yachtworld come from I have no of the specifics needed but I found a cat 30 in long beach and the estimate from the auto tool was about 2700 ..
Old 06-26-2013
sailing soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkle Toad View Post
Try Uship .. its the company that the quotes on yachtworld come from I have no of the specifics needed but I found a cat 30 in long beach and the estimate from the auto tool was about 2700 ..
BZZZZT...very wrong answer. USHIP is a lowest bidder brokerage site. This means that USHIP does not transport your vessel, the quotes will be very low and you will not get a reputable company to move your vessel. I cannot stress to you enough that unless you want your boat beat to pieces you need to make sure that the name on the door of the truck is the same as the name of the carrier you contract with for the move.

USHIP and the one that is on that stupid TV show where the idiots are always having so much trouble moving stuff, are the same type of deal, as is freightquote.com and several others. Brokerage is a great tool when moving pipe or frozen chickens, and there are some spectacular brokers out there. I know, I was one of them for many years, but for a single move yacht haul you need to go direct to the carrier, the ICC MC number on the door needs to match the insurance certificate you require on the move from the carrier.

Now you can listen to a guy who had one boat quoted, or the guy who literally has been the responsible party for millions of tons of freight...you pick.
c. breeze likes this.
Old 06-26-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road

If the boat in question is the 1978 Catalina 30 listed in the OP's profile, sell it, time for your "next" boat anyway.
Old 06-26-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
BZZZZT...very wrong answer. USHIP is a lowest bidder brokerage site. This means that USHIP does not transport your vessel, the quotes will be very low and you will not get a reputable company to move your vessel. I cannot stress to you enough that unless you want your boat beat to pieces you need to make sure that the name on the door of the truck is the same as the name of the carrier you contract with for the move.

USHIP and the one that is on that stupid TV show where the idiots are always having so much trouble moving stuff, are the same type of deal, as is freightquote.com and several others. Brokerage is a great tool when moving pipe or frozen chickens, and there are some spectacular brokers out there. I know, I was one of them for many years, but for a single move yacht haul you need to go direct to the carrier, the ICC MC number on the door needs to match the insurance certificate you require on the move from the carrier.

Now you can listen to a guy who had one boat quoted, or the guy who literally has been the responsible party for millions of tons of freight...you pick.
Uship actually advertises that it's shippers are on shipping wars. I found that humorous. But apparently they have some good shippers on there. So I wouldn't count them out. Especially sine the shipping on this boat is approaching the value of the boat.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 06-26-2013
sailing soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Uship actually advertises that it's shippers are on shipping wars. I found that humorous. But apparently they have some good shippers on there. So I wouldn't count them out. Especially sine the shipping on this boat is approaching the value of the boat.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Having been in the shipping business, on ships, and the transportation by truck, rail, and air for over 25 years I feel I may know a wee bit about USHIP, which is the very absolute bottom of the barrel. I have had customers who tried them, and they inevitably came back to us. The number one complaint was that the idiots, not unlike the morons on shipping wars, who showed up either had the wrong type of equipment altogether, or had no idea how to handle the cargo.

Now I will admit that I am prejudiced against USHIP because their setup is designed to provide service without regard to actual cost to the carrier, but I also know a lot more about transporting heavy haul and specialized cargo than most people, and it requires very special personnel, equipment, and handling to do it right. While his boat may not be worth as much as someone else's I bet he does not want it to look like this on arrival.

c. breeze likes this.
Old 07-11-2013
Dinkin' Around

Grunthrie is on a distinguished road

Having seen just a few episodes of "Shipping Wars" there is no way I would ever hire just anybody to move a boat... Seems like licensed, insured and bonded professionals would be worth the extra cost. Were I in your position I would be excitedly planning a sea voyage, spending that money on provisions and maybe hiring 1-2 competent crew from the local yacht club if you can't talk a couple friends into doing it for food and booze.
Old 07-11-2013
sailing soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunthrie View Post
Having seen just a few episodes of "Shipping Wars" there is no way I would ever hire just anybody to move a boat... Seems like licensed, insured and bonded professionals would be worth the extra cost. Were I in your position I would be excitedly planning a sea voyage, spending that money on provisions and maybe hiring 1-2 competent crew from the local yacht club if you can't talk a couple friends into doing it for food and booze.
While it is true that every carrier in the USA must have both license from the ICC and be insured for both liability and cargo damage, having the license and insurance is not all that is needed. In order to transport a sailboat properly the trailer and truck must be properly equipped. There are several very good carriers who specialize in transporting yachts and a Google search will show you a good list of those in your area.

If a quote is given it must be all inclusive unless the owner is willing to pay the loading and unloading as well as any commissioning and decommissioning fees separately. I would not hire just anyone to transport a cargo for me, I would want to know that the company was one with a good reputation and had a good safety record. You can check out a company's safety record here, by entering in the ICC MC number or the name.

SAFER Web - Company Snapshot

To view the company's information you select the name or the ICC MC number or USDOT number and enter the information into the blank, then select the carrier from a list. Once you have identified the proper carrier you can see records of all the crashes, inspections and their insurance data, as well as number of power units owned and the number of drivers employed. I hope this will help anyone who is looking for transportation.
c. breeze (01-21-2014)
Old 11-21-2013

stuart11 is on a distinguished road

any of you ever looked into Uship.com to transport boats?

Tags
boat transportation