SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Transport of boat over land (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/100738-transport-boat-over-land.html)

catadmire 06-24-2013 04:29 AM

Transport of boat over land
 
Hello: Can anyone recommend a reliable shipper to transport a Catalina 30 from Los Angeles to Seattle, WA?? Should I consider rail transport?? thanks:)

bobmcgov 06-25-2013 10:52 AM

Re: Transport of boat over land
 
Errrr... there's an ocean there, isn't there? Unless the boat is already decommissioned for shipping, and possibly on its own trailer, it's nearly ALWAYS going to cost more to truck a boat than to deliver it on water. At a guess, I'd say $5k from LA to Seattle by truck, if you aren't in a big hurry. Might use that as a reference & go looking for experienced delivery skippers. The haul up the coast is not a doddle, by any means, but if the boat has a decent motor, you should be able to get it there cheaper than five grand. And it will be comissioned and ready to go.

mark2gmtrans 06-25-2013 12:32 PM

Re: Transport of boat over land
 
I think maybe Flagship Specialized might be good, they appear to have the equipment to do the job right.

I was going to recommend System Transport, they had a yacht hauling division when I was with them back a few years ago, but it looks like they may not be doing it anymore.

You can check out the site for Flagship here : Boat Transport | Yacht Transport | Sailboat Transport | Boat Transportation Company

System here: TSI click on the System logo and get the number for the terminal there in southern California or the one in Spokane and they will help you.

overbored 06-25-2013 01:17 PM

Re: Transport of boat over land
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobmcgov (Post 1049350)
Errrr... there's an ocean there, isn't there? Unless the boat is already decommissioned for shipping, and possibly on its own trailer, it's nearly ALWAYS going to cost more to truck a boat than to deliver it on water. At a guess, I'd say $5k from LA to Seattle by truck, if you aren't in a big hurry. Might use that as a reference & go looking for experienced delivery skippers. The haul up the coast is not a doddle, by any means, but if the boat has a decent motor, you should be able to get it there cheaper than five grand. And it will be comissioned and ready to go.

that would be a delivery crew for a least ten days and 1400 miles. if it cost $5000 then the crew would be getting about $ 10 per hr. I think trucking will be cheaper.

catadmire 06-25-2013 04:28 PM

Re: Transport of boat over land
 
Hey you must be psychic - that's the first quote I got. What does "commissioned" refer to??

catadmire 06-25-2013 04:29 PM

Re: Transport of boat over land
 
Thanks - can't afford $5k to ship it, so will likely sell !

bobmcgov 06-25-2013 05:01 PM

Re: Transport of boat over land
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by catadmire (Post 1049528)
Hey you must be psychic - that's the first quote I got. What does "commissioned" refer to??

Taken off transporter's trailer. Mast stood back up, rigging tuned, mast boot in place, etc. Some truckers won't move a boat with diesel in the tank, so engine will need bleeding. Maybe bottom paint, which usually takes a beating in transit. Then dry storage, or putting it back in the water. It cost us $2k to have our boat decommissioned in Chicago -- hauled, powerwashed, put on stands; mast dropped and rigging removed ($600 right there); placed on transporter's trailer. Bit over two grand for probably four man-hour's work. Just something to consider: if de-comming at one end and commissioning at the other, you might easily double the cost of actual road transport with marina fees.

I ain't psychic, exactly -- just went thru overlanding a very similar 30' boat 1000 miles last December.;) The VISA card is still recovering.

mark2gmtrans 06-25-2013 06:04 PM

Re: Transport of boat over land
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobmcgov (Post 1049546)
Taken off transporter's trailer. Mast stood back up, rigging tuned, mast boot in place, etc. Some truckers won't move a boat with diesel in the tank, so engine will need bleeding. Maybe bottom paint, which usually takes a beating in transit. Then dry storage, or putting it back in the water. It cost us $2k to have our boat decommissioned in Chicago -- hauled, powerwashed, put on stands; mast dropped and rigging removed ($600 right there); placed on transporter's trailer. Bit over two grand for probably four man-hour's work. Just something to consider: if de-comming at one end and commissioning at the other, you might easily double the cost of actual road transport with marina fees.

I ain't psychic, exactly -- just went thru overlanding a very similar 30' boat 1000 miles last December.;) The VISA card is still recovering.

WOW! I have transported several yachts on specialized trailers made specifically for transporting boats, and if you got bottom damage in transport you need to take it up with the carrier's insurance. I will not haul a vessel with fuel, water, or waste in the tanks as the motion will possibly cause it to leak or spill on board, but that is not something that is hard to plan for, you either siphon it out or run it dry.

The decommissioning is not part of what the transportation company is usually responsible for, though I know we would have quoted a turnkey price on the move if asked to, we would have subcontracted the marina or a crane to load and unload and hired outside boat mechanics to step the mast and de-rig and re-rig it on either end.

I personally would have charged you a lot more than $5,000.00 for the 1200 mile move, probably about $7,500.00 but when we were doing it all of our drivers hauled yachts daily. We were the in house carrier for Brunswick Marine, and several other manufacturers and hauled both new and used boats on those trucks all the time. We had the right equipment to keep from beating up the boats and the insurance to cover any damage. Any reputable transporter with the proper equipment can quote you a price, get on the internet and google "yacht transportation" and start getting quotes. Get at least ten, maybe more, it costs nothing to get a quote, and if someone wants to charge you for a quote tell them you will look elsewhere.

Be sure that the company you hire actually owns the equipment, and will not broker out the load to someone else. Make sure that they have plenty of insurance and check them out thoroughly. That is the best way to find out the real costs involved in moving the boat.

hellosailor 06-25-2013 07:53 PM

Re: Transport of boat over land
 
The hardest part of rail transport these days is finding a couple of hundred chinamen to build the railroad spur into your boatyard, and out to the one you want the boat delivered to.

If you don't build those two rail spurs, you have to have the boat hauled, blocked, unblocked, all that stuff twice for each end, and trucking becomes cheaper.

Ever try to find a couple hundred chinamen who'll work for less than full teamster rates these days? It ain't easy. And the marinas are going to charge you for every foot of ground space their camp tents occupy, too.

bobmcgov 06-25-2013 11:09 PM

Re: Transport of boat over land
 
Not bottom damage -- just rubbing off the ablative bottom paint where the supports ride. Even the best trailers are gonna wear the pad areas thin, if a soft paint was used. So you'll need to plan at least a touch-up bottom job before relaunching. It ain't an insurance claim, but the accepted wear and tear of road transport -- which is acknowledged in the standard contract as the owner's problem.

I clearly placed commissioning and decommissioning costs with the marinas, not the transporter. They will still need to be paid. My point was the trucking might be the cheap part. We paid more for the marina work at one end, plus renting a 20,000# forklift for unloading the boat at our end, than we paid for the actual 1000 mile truck delivery. Involve a second marina, you are gonna pay a round thousand for mast work alone. $13.50 a foot at Crowley's Yacht Yard.

That's why I suggested the OP should at least price on-the-water delivery service against the total cost of overland transport -- not just a freight quote, but all up. Does Dockwise make that run? *checks* Doesn't look like it.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012