Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: This stuff drives me nuts....

I hate to see old warhorses die like this.

That boat is just waiting for someone to love it again... If, if it's still solid enough.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

We really do not know the story on this. I am not trying to point fingers here. Afterall something terrible may have happened to the owner that made maintenance impossible. In fairness the broker had the decency and honesty to show both the as is and was picture. I have been aware of this boat being for sale for at least a year. This is a very nice boat. Most of these were cold molded wood, this one was glass. She has a nice layout for a boat of that era in terms of the aft head. To the best of my recollection, the current price is roughly half what they had been asking so its probably a good deal for someone with a strong stomach, a power washer and rubber gloves. It still makes me sad to see this....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 06-25-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I'm leaning towards the 'she's been submerged' idea.. hard to imagine the entire boat so uniformly covered like that, and the degredation below any other way...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-25-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I'm leaning towards the 'she's been submerged' idea.. hard to imagine the entire boat so uniformly covered like that, and the degredation below any other way...
Finally someone else looked at the photos of the interior. I see terrible stains on the inside of the boat, now where I am from when we have nice boats that we want to sell, we tend to not let the birds live in them during the period of time we are actually trying to sell the boat. So all of that interior damage has the earmarks of a boat that has been sunk and refloated, at least to me that makes more sense than just having left the hatchcover open for about a decade while it was anchored.

Heck, I cannot imagine a marina allowing that thing to deteriorate like that tied to a dock. I mean obviously if a boat is looking that bad the owner probably has not paid his bill lately if it was only due to neglect. Where I live you neglect to pay the bill and the marina will file a lean against the vessel and then put it up for sale. I understand that in some states here in the US that does not happen, but in most I think it does.
Old 06-25-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

looks like it not only sank but became part of a reef.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 06-25-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I seriously doubt that this boat actually sank. All of the exterior non-sailing pictures that I have seen of the boat show her on a mooring rather than in a slip at a marina. The leak patterns show water entering through around portlights and fittings. I don't see the kind of horizontal 'waterlines' that I would expect if the boat had sunk. The mold appears to be the kind of thing you would expect if you took a boat and closed it up in a warm climate, allowed water to stand in the bilge and then don't touch the boat for a long time.

Down below, this boat looks roughly the way that my former Northstar Quarter tonner looked when I bought her. She had sat for nearly a year in Charleston without anyone being aboard. She had minimal deck leaks but in her case water had gone down her keel stepped mast and there was water in the bilge up to the bottom of the floorboards. There was teletale horizontal waterline about an inch above the floorboards, which suggested that the water had been higher but had evaporated. It took us weeks to simply clean out the mold, clean the upholstery, and put her into an acceptable condition to bring her back to Savannah. Once back in Savannah we worked on her in earnest and by the time we owned her a while, you could not tell she had ever been neglected.

I am not saying that would be the case here. She may truly have become so mold infested that clean up is not possible. Her upholstery and electronics may be shot. Her sails may be so gross that they will want replacement at some point. In the worst case, there is rot in the structural members. But then again, it may simply be a matter of cleaning her up, shampooing or replacing upholstery, caulking the leaks and having a really nice boat at below market value. Its really hard to say from half way around the world.

Jeff
bljones likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 06-25-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

I'm with jeff. that's standing water damage, not standing underwater damage. There is a waterline visible- just below the settee cushion in pic 16.

Old 06-25-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Not to get all Horatio Caine here,
*sunglasses off*
But, lookin closely at the "Before" pics, the car in the background of pics 10 and 11 is from the late 80s and is still in good shape. Pics are obviously film, not digital. the radio is mid 90s and the mic is not yellowed, the cockpit display covers in pic 2 are in very good shape, but mid 90s vintage.
The "before" pics could be more than 15 years old.
Whihc may be why the broker had to update the photos- surprised prospects showing up for a viewing who couldn't "picture" the potential.
*sunglasses on*
YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Old 06-25-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Whether it was standing or sinking water damage, it is in very bad shape, and I just cannot imagine a market that would bear the price in that condition. Now if the market will accept boats in that condition at that price I am going to get rich buying boats and actually cleaning them up and repairing them then sailing them down and selling them.

Seriously, I could buy the boats here, ship them as deck cargo to a location in a South American country where I can get good help at a rate that would be great for the guys working and for me too, then sail them down and sell them.

Anybody down in New Zealand know if the import duties on boats for sale being brought in from out of country would be super stupid? PM if you have information.
Old 06-25-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Having seen more than my fair share of seagull droppings on the rocks along Lake Michigan, the first thing I thought seeing that deck was bird poop. That deck is a stopping ground for birds. The inside may not have been opened for a very long time.

What I don't get is why post the updated pictures as is? Why not take it over to a seawall, power wash the deck, clean the mold & mildew from the interior, then take the new pics. You can still be honest about the condition and keep the price down (just add the cost of cleaning).

With the new pictures they posted, the boat becomes more of a Ripley's candidate than a boat seriously for sale.