Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2004

KenD is on a distinguished road
seafarers 30

other than being slow(what is fast on a sailboat)what''s the opinion of all out there I went through their website and found jeff couldn''t get the dingy but other than that a couple reviews that were at best uninformative. what are the problems with this boat it.s not a huntabenalina but neither is it a oyster or swan,what do the experts say. there does not seem to be a lot on the market,they do have nice lines but then I thought that formosas and choylee have nice lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2004

DirtManly is on a distinguished road
seafarers 30

Hello Ken,
I am going to assume that you are looking at one of the later McCurdy and Rhodes designed Seafarer 30''s. Although it wasn''t popular there was a Bill Tripp 30 as well. For what it''s worth you can still call and get Ian McCurdy on the phone and plans are still available on this particular model. In my opinion Seafarer made a pretty good boat. While not blue water by any stretch of the imagination they were pretty solidly built. Some of them were sold as hull only, you can usually spot these quickly as they are typically not a very well finished boat. The factory finished boat that I have seen are much better. There are no inherent problems that I have heard of on this particular model. I was on the Seafarer email list for about five years and I have yet to hear any owner say anything bad about the thirty. Most of the Seafarer owners I know are head over heels in love with there boats. I would suggest that you join the Seafarer email list available here through Sailnet and ask the owners your self. There are a lot of honest and knowledgable owners that will give you straight answers.
Best of luck to you.
Dirt
Old 07-13-2004

DirtManly is on a distinguished road
seafarers 30

Ken,
I''m sorry, after I posted I remembered that there was one problem that seemed to be common on the thirty footers. The attachment on the bottom of the rudder was not he best design and almost invariably get''s loose. Not terribly hard to fix but expensive if you have a yard do it.
Dirt
Old 08-08-2004

cosmictrav is on a distinguished road
seafarers 30

A friend and I are purchasing a 30 foot cruiser IN HAWAII hopfully. That is where we want to sail around first. We are looking for a boat around 25 g''s and must have a hot shower. My question is is there anyone out there that can take us to Hawaii and sail us to a couple of marinas to search for a boat. We can pay a grand or so. Air fare and hotels and car rental seems like a waiste while there are sailors out there that need to pick up some extra cash anyways. I just had this idea dawn on me yesterday.
Keith

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.