Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2004

spinnakercc is on a distinguished road
Building a FRG Boat.

Sorry, guys, I just thought that I would put it out there in case someone was interested. I agree with you all...the boat was to be finshed by a contractor, except he went bankrupt and this is all I got out of my $25,0000 deal. Sell it, well yes, I plan on it...even if I have to sell it piecemeal. Throw in $500.00...I don''t think so.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2004

walt123 is on a distinguished road
Building a FRG Boat.

I built a Cascade 29 between 74 and 76. Next to my house. At the time there were numerous boats being built in the Portland [Or] area and we shared information and ideas. The building was not difficult if you have the skills you stated. Having the time was the difficult part..making a living and having the income to purchase materials was the hardest. However it is a great feeling to launch and sail a boat you built. This is added to the benefit of your intimate knowledge of all "your" boat systems. That knowledge stood me well when I sailed around the world in the late 70s and Early 80s. Building a boat is an expensive undertaking but by using your labour to lower cost not prohitive considering the cost of purchasing a boat today. Good luck on what ever you decide and fair winds
Old 12-31-2004

spinnakercc is on a distinguished road
Building a FRG Boat.

Just talking about selling my boat, I decided to go out to the garage and look at her again. I have decided that i am going to keep her and finish her. I have finally gotten over the hurt of losing so much money in the original deal that it clears my mind to start working on her and realize my original dream. The inspiration of others on this board has also lifted the feeling that I don''t have time. I realize that I do not have time to do anything else either, but I make the time for some things. Besides looking at the price of new boats, used boats and those that have been wrecked...it clearly demonstrates that I have much more to start with right in my garage. At least I know how it will be built like you said. I am sure that I can finish it for much less than the price of most sailboats, new, used or wrecked, for the same size. Now, if there is anyone on this board who has a Roberts Adventurer 25, I would be interested in sharing ideas.
Old 01-01-2005

dman is on a distinguished road
Building a FRG Boat.

You are going through some real changes here,just yesterday it was being sold even if you had to piece it out.I suspect after this little pep talk and some time to cool down it will be back for sale because that is what your brain is telling you to do.Remember any ambitiuos person has bitten off more than they can chew at some time.I really do know what you are going through.Before you spend anymore money give it some time.Losing some money and learning a lesson is good,acceptable.Falling in love with a boat is not good and trying to spend your way out of a hole is worse.Try and find some inner peace before you continue ,it is your project,money and time not members here that will be working away.Hope to hear from you again and good luck with whatever road you choose.
Old 01-02-2005

PCP will become famous soon enough
Building a FRG Boat.

Lots of links regarding amateur boat building, materials, tools and boat plans:

http://www.boat-links.com/linklists/boatlink-02.html#projects

http://www.boat-links.com/linklists/boatlink-17.html#plans

http://www.boat-links.com/linklists/boatlink-43.html#tools

http://www.boat-links.com/linklists/boatlink-16.html#plans

http://www.boat-links.com/linklists/boatlink-06.html#supplies

I like the boat plans of these designers:

http://home.austarnet.com.au/eddierooms/study2.htm?agree=on

http://www.dickkoopmans.nl/uk/index.htm

Paulo

Old 01-02-2005
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Building a FRG Boat.

spinnakercc

I apologize in advance for the cold shower -

Before you get too far along with your construction, sit down and calculate the cost of a set of new sails (say four), a set of full instruments, and say just the interior cushions - add these numbers up and you have a reasonable budget for purchasing a nice 25'', built by professionals, in the water, ready to go.

You can go ahead with your dream, but do so understanding that you will pour a lot of $$$ into a hole not even in the water, unlikely to ever be finished, that will end up worth probably a third or a half of the cost of the parts you have yet to buy...

My advice, drive the trailer to the dump, buy a sailboat, and go sailing.

Good luck.

Old 01-03-2005

dman is on a distinguished road
Building a FRG Boat.

WOW sailingfool,you really let it fly with that one.I just thought about it,decided not to post it.He really should keep the trailer!
Old 01-04-2005

PCP will become famous soon enough
Building a FRG Boat.

Perhaps it is not a rational thing to do, but
If you take pride and pleasure in building a boat...go ahead and make YOUR boat.... pleasure is not a rational thing.

I would stay out of fiberglass and would prefer Marine Plywood and Epoxy. It fells and smells a lot better and you don''t need a mold.
Epoxy can give very low care and good durability to plywood.

Paulo