Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013

mr_f is on a distinguished road
Re: Island Packet and Cape Dory 33- 40 range.

I have chartered a few IPs over the years. (Well to be totally accurate, I was just along for the ride on someone else's charters.) A 45', a 35' and a Packet Cat. All were nicely equipped with very comfortable accommodations.

The two monohulls sailed well with enough wind. We handled some rough weather in both and were comfortable. I don't think I would like either with the light winds I experience here in the Chesapeake. And both were somewhat difficult to maneuver in tight quarters, and fairly difficult to control in reverse. I am sure that would be less of an issue if we had more than a week to get used to the boat.

I have very little positive to say about the Packet Cat. Since that is not the subject, and I don't mean to boat bash, I will leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Seaduct, I don't seen any "Bailey's" on the shelf! Lovely boat... dunno bout your choice in crystal
Baileys in the fridge. It is Galliano and Grand Marnier tucked away in the cabinet. I like the cheap plastic wine glasses, but wait... I have equally cheap or cheaper plastic martini glasses as well. I cant figure out why I took that photo without prepping a little, you know.... fresh flowers, and a terry robe hanging nicely on the bulkhead.
deniseO30 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaduction For This Useful Post:
deniseO30 (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
But I love Caba Rico too.
Denise - you should buy this one. It's in the slip behind us and no one has been on it in at least 4 years. It's just sitting there, slowly decaying. The price is unrealistically high and I bet they'd take almost anything. It's a really nice Cabo that just needs love and time (and someone to rip the teak deck off it - just me talkin').

Olversons Lodge Creek Marina, Inc. (Lottsburg, VA)
Old 07-03-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Sabreman, Shame that Cabo is sitting. That's one boat I would not think would be loved continuously! I'm not in a position to buy anything just now sadly.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-03-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
Denise - you should buy this one. It's in the slip behind us and no one has been on it in at least 4 years. It's just sitting there, slowly decaying. The price is unrealistically high and I bet they'd take almost anything. It's a really nice Cabo that just needs love and time (and someone to rip the teak deck off it - just me talkin').

Olversons Lodge Creek Marina, Inc. (Lottsburg, VA)
STEP AWAY FROM THE TEAK AND PUT DOWN THAT CROW BAR!!!

Seriously, you would rip up the teak deck? Just love it and oil it and it will be beautiful and love you back...
Old 07-03-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
STEP AWAY FROM THE TEAK AND PUT DOWN THAT CROW BAR!!!

Seriously, you would rip up the teak deck? Just love it and oil it and it will be beautiful and love you back...
Yea, and drip all over your head down below even when it is not raining. Unless it is a modern teak that was just glued down. It is not if old teak decks will leak, but when. You end up with a nice wet core and it leaks all the time.

They do look awesome though. There is a 38 foot boat that is near me (not sure of the make) that just looks so good, but I see the signs of the leaking in the photos.
Old 07-03-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yea, and drip all over your head down below even when it is not raining. Unless it is a modern teak that was just glued down. It is not if old teak decks will leak, but when. You end up with a nice wet core and it leaks all the time.
Exactly. Those old teak decks look nice enough, but if screwed down (which they nearly always were in the 80's) are a disaster. Most boats with a deck of that vintage have been scrubbed or sanded down so much that most of the plugs are gone and there isn't enough material to reseat the screws and install new plugs. If not properly secured, the deck will squeak as you walk on it, which to me is disconcerting. There is a nice Baba 40 in our marina whose owner removed the teak deck, filled the holes, and painted the deck with non-skid. Very nice job, the boat is far better for it.

Quote:
Just love it and oil it
Not exactly. A teak deck shouldn't have any finish on it. Gray weathering is safest. Any finish is prone to making the surface slippery.

Last edited by Sabreman; 07-03-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-03-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Teak decking is strips too.. pretty thin and useless for much else But... back in the day, they used boards and no glass under it. just carlins.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-03-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

I have seen a few that had teak decks that did not leak, but I believe they were layered in alternating patterns of straight over diagonal over straight. I will have to ask the person who owns the boat. I have not been on many with a full teak deck, and none that I noticed were leaking, but I will certainly take your word on it. The oiled parts should be the railings and the vertical pieces, not the deck itself, which I should have specified, because slippery is not good. I have been at work since 03:00 and will not be able to leave for several more hours, perhaps sometime tonight, I hope. Once this day is done I think I will sleep a day LOL.
Old 07-05-2013

CBinRI is on a distinguished road

Hope I don't get anyone too annoyed by saying that I am not an IP guy. They are well built, but I don't like the looks and they are slow. I do not believe that blue water boats need to be slow or boxy and IMHO IPs are both. Just my two cents.