SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Island Packet and Cape Dory 33- 40 range.

18K views 52 replies 17 participants last post by  RainDog 
#1 ·
Please tell me about them? I've kind of taken a shine to IPs. Not that a purchase of such a boat is even possible for me. thanks!

#38 ·
Teak decking is strips too.. pretty thin and useless for much else But... back in the day, they used boards and no glass under it. just carlins.

#39 ·
I have seen a few that had teak decks that did not leak, but I believe they were layered in alternating patterns of straight over diagonal over straight. I will have to ask the person who owns the boat. I have not been on many with a full teak deck, and none that I noticed were leaking, but I will certainly take your word on it. The oiled parts should be the railings and the vertical pieces, not the deck itself, which I should have specified, because slippery is not good. I have been at work since 03:00 and will not be able to leave for several more hours, perhaps sometime tonight, I hope. Once this day is done I think I will sleep a day LOL.

#41 ·
that's fine CDinRI, I think most of us make comparisons of full keel boats against those that are fin keeled. For the longevity and or durability on oceans I think I'd sleep better knowing a full keel where under me; but that's just me saying things on no real basis of experience.

Reactions: Seaduction
#43 ·
I understand and respect your point and recognize that it may generally be true but I also would respectfully suggest that the right fin keel can be just as stable, point higher and be faster. Speed isn't everything but faster passages can mean less time in poor weather. I have a fin keel that weighs five tons that I like to think gives a nice combination of performance and safety.

#44 ·
As I have been shopping to buy this past year I will throw in my two cents:
As it has been said, ad nauseum, "every boat is a compromise"
In my ideal world....I would have a big catamaran and a crew to assist me and the money I need to buy one...
In the next level down ideal world....I would have a big mono hull blue-water tough Gozzard or Bristol (just two of my favorites) with some strong crew--
In the next level downward of idealism... I would have enough money to buy the most blue water ready 33-40 range well-found boat with money for upkeep...now, that would bring me into the 'maybe an Island Packet' range.
For example, The Island Packet 38 has excellent reviews and represents the 'best' of their line. I have sailed an IP32 and it was great. We took it out in a 'small craft advisory' on the Chesapeake one Autumn and it sailed great with a strong wind - 25 knots with gusts to 30. But, the next day when the wind was down to 10 knots.....turn on the engine.
Still, it is hard to criticize a boat such as an IP38 unless one is a real dinghy race-fast sailor. I guess for those types the IP is a big dud. It is a Cruiser and not a Racer.
I read that folks who never experienced real race-sailing in fast boats and who start sailing in mid-life like the Island packets....because they dont have anything to compare it to but that sailors who start young in dinghy sailing or laser sailing or J-boats and get into racing and fast sailboats would never like a "Island Piglet" because they are so slow and heavy..... Is that true?
Well, I am one of those older guys... and I think that if anyone was able to buy and upkeep one an Island Packet 35 or 38.....they would be very lucky and have a blast sailing beautiful waters in comfort and relative safety. Just my opinion; although it is obvious that they are not fast day-sailors and you have to motor (oh gosh!) in winds under 8 knots. So, some like racing speed and others like cruising speed....I guess to have both one would have to spend alot of money to buy a racer-cruiser that does both well.
Now....down to reality for me, personally; money-wise and crew-availability wise:
I am looking at affordable, for me, boats in the 28-35 range; safe and blue-water capable. For me, that means; under 50K with not a ton of things to fix (initially) as I am not the handiest dude although I can learn. Ideally....something about 35K max would be "ideal".
So....I am chartering for three days at the end of the month an IP27 out of Rock hall and will be taking my two sons (age 18 and 15) with me for my first -time alone 'skippering' (is that a word?)
Based on my experience at the end of the month (which i am certain to post on) I will be looking at an IP27 or an Alberg 30 or a Pearson Triton 28 or a IP 31 because I want to wind up in the blue water and it will just be for two (2) - my wife and myself.
For the OP; I agee there is alot to like about an Island Packet....for instance...the bowsprit/anchor is attached to the hull in one piece--is part of the hull form.... The mast is stepped to the keel....that is nice, also---
The cockpit is big and if you are concerned about getting pooped...you could drill a few more holes...hell; what do I know!-- I am a newbie and wont hide it. Although technically I guess I must be at 'newbie level 2' :laugher

In fact, maybe that is why i am drawn to the Island Packet......as one poster said on 'Sailing Anarchy' "Island packets are for sailors who never want to be afraid on their boat..." Well, that describes me-:D

Anyone have a better idea, a correction, intelligent input or any feedback whatsoever?

#45 ·
As I have been shopping to buy this past year I will throw in my two cents:.....................
I am a newbie and wont hide it. Although technically I guess I must be at 'newbie level 2' :laugher .........................................

In fact, maybe that is why i am drawn to the Island Packet......as one poster said on 'Sailing Anarchy' "Island packets are for sailors who never want to be afraid on their boat..." Well, that describes me-:D

Anyone have a better idea, a correction, intelligent input or any feedback whatsoever?
I would give you a promotion to Able Bodied Newbie First Class for being smart enough to not want to be scared to death on your boat. If I want to be terrified I will get married

#46 ·
My boat should be scared of me!

Oh BTW, I should say I'm also looking at modified keel boats with skeg hung rudders.

and I keep going back and looking at the Cabo...

#47 ·
My boat should be scared of me!

Oh BTW, I should say I'm also looking at modified keel boats with skeg hung rudders.

and I keep going back and looking at the Cabo...
I like the Cabo's they seem to be very nice, if you find one that has been well maintained. I keep getting photos of boats I am looking at (when I request more in order to see the interior) from people who must be part pig. I just cannot get over receiving photos from someone who is trying to sell me something for a considerable amount of money, and yet they cannot clean their boat up so I can actually see the interior instead of their garbage.

I hope you find, and buy, one that you love soon.

#48 ·
that is so much the norm with boat sellers Mark! most photos are when the boat was new or new to them. Most are just terrible, awful states of neglect. There is a plus to looking at such boats if one can see past it all. There may be a diamond under all that "rough"
it may be years for me to do the "dream" sell the house, sell the boat. sell it all. get that one boat that will carry me over the horizon :)

#51 ·
Denise,

We chartered a 445 with Island Yachts in St Thomas for a week. Wow, roomy boat. Not fast, but 2 couples can live large on that boat with great fore and aft staterooms. If you want to try one out, a charter in the VI's is a pretty painless way to do it. They have a selection (no affiliation).

Boat 2 for us (now on 5) was a CD28. We won a race once in it when the race committee set the course so that it was reaching both ways and the wind was blowing a stink:) Again, not fast, great looking (in my opinion), but looks came at the cost of a traditional narrow beam which translated to tight living below.

I like the looks of the Cabo Rico. Haven't sailed one.

Life is too short to own a boat that you don't look longingly back at when you dingy back from the mooring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.