Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Island Packet and Cape Dory 33- 40 range.

Please tell me about them? I've kind of taken a shine to IPs. Not that a purchase of such a boat is even possible for me. thanks!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Island Packet and Cape Dory 33- 40 range.

One of the Rock Hall charter companies has a bunch of IPs in our marina if you want to try one out. I think they rival Catalinas in speed but they're a lot heavier. I've only been at the helm of one, an IP35, and I hated having to straddle the worm gear (I'm told that's what it's called) at the helm. The owner loved the simplicity of not having any cables but to me it was just annoying. Not all of them are designed like this.

That's the extent of it for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
The Following User Says Thank You to DRFerron For This Useful Post:
deniseO30 (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Cool Donna! I was viewing some IPs and CDs on you tube last night. Yeah they are heavy blue water boats. Which is a big conundrum for coastal wannabees like me I guess. But I think how cool it would be to just sail all the way from the south like the or Georgia Mobile AL, and to Maine and back I know it's the sailors ability & planning more then the boats on which dreams do float.

my current "project"!
Old 07-02-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

funny IP and CD aren't on the Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org list.

my current "project"!
Old 07-02-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

They will not make the list as they have some issue that that person deems them not worth! Might be 25 gals of fuel vs 26, 7/16 thick hull vs 8/16! could be really minor or major why.

Marty
Old 07-02-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

Another interesting unique feature of IP's is that they use proprietary resin "Polycore" filler for deck core instead of balsa or other wood. Not sure if this is better or worse than anything else, but I like the idea of not worry about rotten core.

Here's a few more IP construction details from BW Sailing:

"Unlike many fiberglass boats, the Island Packet hull is made in one piece, including the keel. Cast lead sections are lowered into the matching cavities and laminated over using more triaxial fabric. The hull is roughly an inch and a half thick at the turn of the bilge, tapering to half an inch at the hull flange.

With the hull sitting outside the mold, a grid is dropped into place, serving the purpose of a hull liner and doubling in brass as floors. This liner/grid is a structural element, and is cored with what IP calls Polycore. If you think of it as microballoons contained within a polyester foam you won’t be too far off. It has the quality of being resistant to water intrusion and is blessed with a very high strength-to-weight ratio.

The floors are an engineered structural grid, referred to as an Internal Glass Unit. This IGU, part of the liner, contributes to the hull’s strength.

The deck is also made of triaxial fiberglass, changing to biaxial in places where a pronounced curvature would make the triaxial unsuitable. The flat parts, in addition to being made of triaxial, are also cored, with the same material as used in the hull liner.
The important thing is that the core is structurally identical to the fiberglass, so the fiberglass and the core stretch and contract due to stress at the same rate, minimizing delamination. Island Packet has been using this method of lamination since 1984, and in 1992 they began to provide a 10-year warranty against deck delamination. It seems to have been a safe bet: so far, there hasn’t been a single claim.

The keel is unashamedly full. In a world of bulb-fin keels, canting torpedoes of lead and keels with trim tabs, the IP full keel has the simplicity of a hockey puck. It’s there, it’s the full length of the boat, and it even has the rudder fastened to it. Island Packet’s explanation is that this is a FullFoil keel, i.e., its shape develops lift to windward, and that the advantages of a full keel, especially when shaped as a “full foil,” more than offset the drag caused by the wetted area."

The Following User Says Thank You to kwaltersmi For This Useful Post:
krisscross (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

I crewed on my friends CD30. Awesome boat IMO. We sailed mostly on Pamlico Sound and sometimes out to open ocean through Ocracoke Inlet. Not the fastest boat but felt very comfortable even in heavy weather and short, nasty chop on the Sound. IP boats look awesome to me as well. If I could afford one I would be seriously thinking about buying an IP27. I like it more than CD30 for coastal cruising (draws only 3.7 feet and has wider beam and more room than CD30).
Old 07-02-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

great information everyone! thanks!

my current "project"!
Old 07-02-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Full keel so slower than a Bene/Bav/Jun esp in light winds.

Keel is slightly less efficient to windward than a fin despite the marketing hype.

But when you go aground the keel protects the rudder.

Benefits from a bow thruster if berthing in a tight marina.

Comfortable rocking chair of a boat. I like the 485 interior. But my 44 ft old girl eats it for breakfast esp in light winds or to windward.
Old 07-02-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Go to THIS thread and you will probably get more than an eye and ear full as to how good a given boat is and why!

Reality is, there is more to just a few items as to IF a boat is truly bluewater usable vs not!

Marty