Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2011

VetMike is on a distinguished road
I too am looking at a Coronado 41 as a live aboard as well as cruising the Caribbean. My interior tastes are simple; space to live in comfortably and enough amenities that I don't need to go ashore for every little thing. I am concerned, however, as several posts have mentioned leaks in the bilge with some sounding as if they were rather serious as well as keel to hull leaks. Are these common problems with this boat? I absolutely will have it surveyed prior to any consideration of purchasing it and I am handy enough to do a lot of repairs/maintenance myself.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I happen to be the owner of an older fiberglass "tank" of the early seventies. Mine happens to be a Morgan, but still an often maligned production. There was a time in 1971 that I would have had a Coronado if I had the credit and borrowing power at 23. Image and status, as well as real world performance, has the result of some vessels costing far less than others. The best buy in real estate is the cheapest house on the block. The best boat is the one that does what you want it to do! Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 03-08-2011
skipper

svthefilthywhore is on a distinguished road
Vetmike,

there is a possibility of rot in the deck and keel to hull joints in any boat with wood in the deck and a bolt on keel. the real question is that the case with a boat you are looking at.

our coronado 41 was neglected for more than ten years before I bought it. the keel was painted with rustolium spray paint and there was standing water in what should have been a dry part of the bilge. the top nuts on the keel bolts were not installed correctly and were in standing water causing corrosion at the threads under the top nuts... luckily the previous owner never put a wrench to the bottom nuts and the threads were fine. I smacked the keel bolts with a hammer and every one sang me a tune. you should do this too.
if the boat you are looking at has any leaks in the deck, you may have rot. the extent of the rot can be discovered by using a hard tappy kind of device (handle of a wood hammer) and start where you know the core is good and move into suspect areas (around deck hardware) if the sound goes from a sharp sound to a dull sound, you have bad core..... I found bad core on my boat around a few stanchions, but it was minor and was easily removed and filled with thickened epoxy. this method is ok for a few square inches, but if it is a few square feet the deck should be opened up and the core replaced.

I know of no other places there would be leaks, the shaft log is solid, the rudder bearing is a huge mound of fiberglass and prop shaft strut should be ok as long as it hasn't had a line wrapped around it and yanked off (pretty easy to discover).

the down points to a coronado 41 is the size of the tanks, 40gal water, 35 gal fuel, and not built with a holding tank. these things are something to overcome. for water, I have installed a dock water fitting in the bow that supplies us with unending water as long as we are connected and we carry a couple of jerry jugs while cruising puget sound. 50 gallons last the two of us about 5-6 days. the fuel we haven't found to inconvenient since we have stayed inside puget sound... with a fuel burn of less than 1gal/hr and time to transit puget sound from end to end being less than 24 hrs we are usually in range of a fuel dock.

good luck
Old 07-17-2011

skylol is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetMike View Post
I too am looking at a Coronado 41 as a live aboard as well as cruising the Caribbean. My interior tastes are simple; space to live in comfortably and enough amenities that I don't need to go ashore for every little thing. I am concerned, however, as several posts have mentioned leaks in the bilge with some sounding as if they were rather serious as well as keel to hull leaks. Are these common problems with this boat? I absolutely will have it surveyed prior to any consideration of purchasing it and I am handy enough to do a lot of repairs/maintenance myself.
Hi Mike, I have this boat but any problems about leaks in the bilge the only problem is about a bad core but I think that every boat hav his history. If you want I have found one coronado on sale in italy vendo Coronado 41 - Coronado Yachts :: SailingTheWeb

Lorenzo
Old 07-17-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Those 80,000 euros for the 1975 Coronado 41 are $113,000+. You find old 41 Coronados in the best expected shape here in the US for about half this price! Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 05-07-2013

jefjan is on a distinguished road
Re: Coronado 41

I have had my Coronado 41 for 5 years now, I stole her for $16,500.
I really do love this boat, been sailing the Lake of the Ozark the whole time, while upgrading her systems. I live on board every weekend and sometimes the whole summer. There is a lot of space on board and the queen size bed in the aft berth is just fantastic.
I have replaced the wiring, fuse panel and water system completely, currently updating the sailing hardware on deck.
There are some soft spots on the deck where previous owners neglected her, keel bolts are good, check them annually and I keep the bilge nice and dry.
The perkins 4.108 Diesel engine keeps clanking along, no issues so far, I replace the impeller every 2 years, change the oil annually and other minor maintenance.
Personally I think the Coronado's have gotten a bad rap. They are great boats for the price and how old they are.
No matter what boat you buy, get a good survey done and expect to do some repairs and refits
Old 08-05-2013

Seth Farwell is on a distinguished road

Having had a Columbia or two (same company)I have fpound them to be solid boats that take a fair amount of abuse, and are pretty much bullet proof, and sail well, although they all had a little more weather helm than I like but can be trimmed out. As far as cosmetics and finish, they are simple and somewhat utilitarian, with a lot of fiberglass inserts and lost space, but again solid. Asfor other comments about maintenance issues, all boats will need attention to things like keel bolts, stuffing boxes, maybe iron tanks, rusty chainplates that literally break off in your hand ( had a Hunter do this a week after a trip up the mast). So in short do your research, find a boat you like, GET A SURVEY prior to purchase and understand that all used items require maintenance. Sometimes previous owners keep records of repairs, or if they are long time owners and the marina has done the work on the boat they have records. Lastly having been on a Coronado 41 center cockpit, it seems to me that having the cockpit sit up as high as it is -and higher yet on the Columbia 41 center cockpit, it would be a somewhat rough ride when the weather got rough from being so high and constant rocking/pitching. Might be a worthwhile trade off for the extra room though.
Old 08-06-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I restored a Columbia 43 - exactly the same build quality, parts etc. The two biggies I found were the keel bolts - steel into iron. They were toast along with the backing floors (also steel) Pics attached. You can replace them in pairs in the water. Not a huge job or all that expensive. My new hardware cost well under a boat buck, drilling and electropolishing included

The other thing was the wiring. While the electrical hardware was good - Danforth and others of the same grade - the actual wiring was insane. The wire for the cabin lights had been moulded into the deck between the top skin and the core. No chase, no nuthin'. It caused voids, resin pooling etc. - a really, really, really stupid idea.

Most of the rest of the wiring was strung through the bilge - another great idea.

If it hasn't been done, assume a total replacement of the electrical system is required.
Attached Thumbnails
Coronado 41-8-these-actually-held-keel-.jpg   Coronado 41-8e-new-keel-hardware.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.