SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

TLC vs. Almost new

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
Hey Gang,

Looking at my first boat purchase, and keeping an eye out...looking at Catalina 22 or so....

Just want opinions/experiences...what is better, buying and old one and restoring/fixing it up, or buying newer and paying upfront...

Garrett

#2 ·
If you have wads ''o money why would you want to buy an old boat and work on it?

Then again, you might (like me) prefer the older boats. If you have wads ''o money you could always get a shipyard to do the work.

Then again, you might not have a wad ''o money.

Then again, you might like doing such work yourself. While some of it can be ''grunt work'' it can also be theraputic, relaxing, satisfying, etc.

Doing it yourself always means you have an intimate knowledge of the work done, level of quality, etc.. As an added bonus you learn about how your boat is built. It doesn''t hurt to know the boat ''inside out''.

However, you really need to honestly assess your skills before undertaking a project. You really don''t want to buy a boat that needs some glasswork and you''ve never worked with fiberglass before. Got the right tools? Some things are better left to the experts (standing rigging, etc.)

Also, sometimes (depending on the boat) it can take years to complete.

Bottom line, how much $$$ you have vs the shape of the boat vs your skill set vs how long you want to wait before you can sail are all factors that apply in deciding between a new vs old boat.

#3 ·
I don''t think that this is a question that has one single right answer. Ignoring the financial aspects which generally favor buying used by a long shot, there is the time issue. Fitting out a new boat can require a lot more time and effort than buying a used boat that was well set up and is in good condition. To some extent, you need to pick every single of non-standard gear and manage getting it installed properly. Replacing my boat''s electronics after the lightning strike has proven to be an extremely time consuming seven week process even with a boat yard doing most of the work. That is but one small piece of fitting out a new boat. Back in the 1970''s I had a job commissioning boats for a company that sold new boats. The boats were very simple back then but commissioning even these simplier boats was a huge job, perhaps a larger job than bringing back a boat that was in moderately good condition.

The other issue that comes into play is one of taste. For some there just is not a boat that is in production that is as right for them as some older model. For others there is no older model that suits them as perfectly as some specific newer design.

I typically feel that only very experienced, very wealthy sailors, with lots of time on their hands and very specific needs that cannot be met in the used boat market should buy a new boat. For the rest of us, buying used is a pretty compelling case.

Jeff

#4 ·
If you''re buying a boat that you will keep for a long time, then a new boat will provide trouble-free service for many years, and you can amortize the depreciation over a long period, making a new boat, by far, the better way to go.

If you are more likely to sell within a shorter period of time, then buy a used boat, on which the original owner has taken the big depreciation that occurs in the first few years. If the boat isn''t too old, it will still provide several years of relatively trouble-free service, and still be in reasonably good condition when you sell it after a few years.

#5 ·
I prefer a fairly new boat (4 to 10-12 years or so) unless an older boat is in really good shape or just a really good boat. And I spend first 6 months to a year going thru all the systems etc. Replacing any hoses, clamps, hardware, pumps, impellors etc. that I don''t feel good about, doing the routine maintenance (when did PO really change oils, belts & filters?) lubing all the hardware above deck and checking for bent, broken, corroded stuff. Obviously I just don''t feel comfortable till I''m real familiar with everything on board.

#6 ·
Capttb, Don''t you end up doing almost every bit of that on a comparatively new boat. When you talk about the list of tasks that you go through on an older boat,(hoses, clamps, hardware, pumps, impellors etc. doing the routine maintenance such as changing oils, belts & filters, lubing all the hardware above deck and checking for bent, broken, corroded stuff) that is pretty much annual maintenance. Wouldn''t you do this on a boat that was as new as a year old? And having commissioned a number of boats, haven''t you found missing hose clamps and winches that were not lubed at the factory, etc on the new boats that you have purchased?

It seems to me, when you buy a new boat you have all of the usual things to go through that you would when buying a used boat, plus you have the massive exercise of commissioning a new boat. At least with a 4 or 5 year old boat, you have a chance to see if there are manufacturing issues that showed up during the first owner''s tenure and to duck the commissioning and new boat depreciation. After 4 or 5 years the prices of most decent quality boats seem to level off.

Respectfully,

Jeff

#7 ·
Guess I was unclear because I think we are in agreement, let me rephrase: I like a boat somewhere between 4 & 10-12 years old for all the reasons you mention, including the PO having to deal with any problems found on commissioning. And you are correct that I would do just as much maintenance etc. on a new boat (maybe more) as one 5 years old. I''m thinking your more common production boats here. Now for a really well made boat I could see getting something older if it was in appropriate condition. I think we also agree that depreciation for the first couple years and commissioning costs of a new boat are best avoided unless you just have too much money.TB

#8 ·
Garret,

Saturday @ 12 usable hours + Sunday @ 12 usable hours = (+/-) 24 weekend hours.

How many of those hours do you want to spend working on a boat, and how many do you want to spend sailing?

Know yourself. I''m not much of a "putterer." I understand there is constant maintenance to do and improvements to make, which can be satisfying in themselves, but if the work/sail ratio tips in the wrong direction to far or for too long, I begin to see the boat as a burden instead of a vehicle of recreation and self-discovery.

Other considerations being equal, at purchase time, I''d rather spend what I can actually afford (try not to be unnecessarily stingy) than a project. My motto would be "penny wise, recreation foolish."

But that''s just my personality, and me knowing my own limitations. Each sailor derives his satisfaction his own way, and you might be completely different. Some guys are happy spending weekend after weeekend sanding, varnishing, replacing, tinkering, rebuilding, etc. I see them as I motor in and out of my slip. I never see them out on the water.

Thinking about how you approach maintenance on your car may be helpful: I''ll turn a wrench now and then, and changing oil and plugs, or even installing a stereo, is enjoyable. But I''m way past the point in my life where I think dropping an engine is anything close to "fun."
Now I write checks to my mechanic, and I''m happy to do it.

A boat requires much more and much more constant attention than any car you''ve owned.

#9 ·
Im not going to get this exactly right but, hopefully, you will get the gist; you can buy a boat for $10,000, put another $10,000 into it and have a boat worth $15,000 at the end of the process. If I had to guess I would say that the depreciation on a new boat is even worse than that of a car. With a used boat you neither want a boat that was never used nor one that was used extensively and in trying conditions. I think the best bet is to buy a used boat that has recently gone thru a mechanical/sails/rigging upgrade cycle.

#10 ·
Older!!

Hello,

Last year, when I was shopping for a C22, I saw boats that were made in 1980, and boats made in 1990. Believe it or not, the boat I ended up buying, a 1981, was in better shape than many of the late 80''s boats. Once a boat is 5+ years old, the maintenance it receives will be the difference in the condition.

My advice is to only look at boats that are in ''excellent'' condition. IMHO, you are better off with a 20 year old boat in sail away condition than a 10 year old fixer upper. I paid $4500 for my 1981 with a 1994 trailer, engine and sails. I had to NOTHING to do except sail it. In the spring I tuned up the engine, sanded and painted the keel and launched it. When bigger-boat-itis set in, I sold the C22 for $4000, and the new owner absolutely loves the boat.

Take your time, look at lots of boats, and when you find ''the one'' you will know.

Barry

#11 ·
Garrett,

I have just spent the past few years on the trail of a boat too, and here is a very short summary of what I found:
1. Boats that are cheap: fixer-uppers--take the price and double it to get a serviceable boat that is safe and you''re proud of it. Good to do if you enjoy tinkering and live somewhere with long off-seasons, you really get to know the boat
2. Boats that are market-priced: likely maintained but things are getting old. Take the price of the boat and add 20% for new stuff and a few electronics and go sailing.
3. Premium priced boats: the owner has "evergreened" the boat, ie things that got old were replaced with modern updates of that part, eg. radios, engines, thru-hulls and heaters. Yes you paid for it-- but nowhere near what he did. You can sail away.

My philosophy is that life is too short to spend it on an ugly boat. The result of my quest:a Catalina 22 demo boat that was 2 years old and loaded, for a good price, plus half ownership in a 20 yr old Beneteau 345 that had been (and still is) evergreened.
It''s a personal choice based on money and time.

#12 ·
Thx Guys and Gals,

Great insights, thoughts and ideas....

I am a novice, just learning, so am looking for a low $$ boat to learn and practice on. Thus the quest for least $$, but a good practice/learning boat....so if I crunch into the dock or hit some rocks near a shore I won''t panick as bad.. =)

I am looking, and all thoughts are always welcome...thx again!

Garrett

#13 ·
First of all...go with what''s in your heart..there is a lot of good advice from everyone here! It''s been my lifelong dream to own a sailboat and learn to sail. I grew up on motorboats. I just bought a 30 yr old 26'' sailboat. She needs some work, but her spirit is there! I just need to be able to restore her glory! After talking with several people...I think I have been blessed with the right company that will do the structural work and I, you heard it, I am going to learn to do the so called "grunt work" myself!!! The job may be a whole lot bigger than me, but nothing in this world has ever stopped me before...so like I said in the beginning...follow your heart!

#14 ·
Reading the previous messages about the used vs.new boat dilemma has been very informative and timely for me! I''ve just begun the process of looking for a 30''-33'' cruiser and have narrowed my choices down to the Beneteau 321, Jeanneau Sunlight 30, and possibly a Catalina 310. Based on above discussions I''ll further narrow my search for boats in the 4-6 year old range. I''m a solo woman and don''t want to spend all my weekends repairing and "tinkering"--not my idea of fun. Tempted to buy new, but will focus now on used and further narrow to a 4-6 year old boat. Would welcome opinions about any of the above choices, especially from owners.

#16 ·
In my experance with my boat, 1973 Coronado 23 that was very well maintained by the original owner, I paid $4000, including the trailer and lot of extra parts, safty gear, and a decent motor. I think I get as much enjoyment or more than would from a $20,000 or more for a new boat of the same size. If I forget to put a fender when I dock I am not going to cry if I get a scratch like I would with a new boat. And my boat is old enough that it is not going to loose much more value if any at all like a new boat would. I did replace the rigging, and added some new blocks and a bow roller over the winter after sailing for a couple months last year and do plan to put in a teak and holly floor this winter and buy some new sails. But it would take a lot of spending to equal the cost of a new boat. But the key is finding a good used boat that you can sail right away and do upgrades along and long and not major work because something is broken when you bought it and if you are a casual sailer, once a week or less, then an older boat would be a better bet. I do drool over the nice new big 35-42 foot Hunters that are for sale at the marina where my boat is and if I was planning on sailing away and never coming back then a new boat would be my bet but if you are like me, small boat, sheltered area, then go good used boat.

#17 ·
From a cost factor you don''t want to buy an old boat that needs major equipment. Buying new sails, furling gear, rigging, motors, cushions, etc will push way past the price a nice used rig with all gear in good condition. Look for a boat that just needs cosmetics. Then it costs only your sweat equity.

C22s are plentiful and very easy to find at A1 prices. If there is one boat out there you can find deals on it is the C22. Find an older one that has good basic equipment, a motor that has the long shaft "sailor" leg and trailer with tongue extension. Here in Floida that would be around $3k everyday. The difference between an old excellent C22 and an old dog C22 is $1000-$1500. How much is your time worth?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.