Re: Challenger 15

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to georgewolf1947 For This Useful Post:
SchwarckT (08-21-2013)
Old 08-13-2013

SchwarckT is on a distinguished road

Its 3 inches wide with a bevel on both edges and just under 5/16 of an inch thick (.3075).
The Following User Says Thank You to SchwarckT For This Useful Post:
georgewolf1947 (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013

georgewolf1947 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Tom, you are a great help!
Old 08-18-2013

terrynauck is on a distinguished road

Another possible use of the boom block and cleat that you show is for an adjustable outhaul on the main. I have a Challenger 15, #295 and I installed a turning block and cleat similar to what your picture shows. The Challenger 15 was originally configured for roller reefing of the main. If the gooseneck on your boom is spring loaded and will allow the boom to turn while connected to the mast, you have this type of reefing arrangement. My mainsail doesn't have any reefing points, so I question whether or not that's the purpose of the block and cleat on your boom. That being said, I haven't figured out how to roller reef the main with the mainsheet led to a block on the centerboard trunk.
Old 08-26-2013

SchwarckT is on a distinguished road

Hey Chad: Just wondering how it was going with your "new" boat? I got out yesterday in my Challenger, the first time in a while. The TV forecast was for winds from 20-30 mph, which was a bit of an exaggeration though it got rough at times. I mostly sailed with a reefed main and small jib, but at times it was only the reefed main. Later conditions moderated and I had the full main up with a small jib. Around here it seems the only time the wind blows is when a weather front is coming through. All in all, a pretty good day to sail.
Old 09-01-2013

papeanut9 is on a distinguished road

Responding to "Spray"

I have a Challenger 15 in the water out-front. If a photo would help you I can send one to I-pad

Jim Northern Michigan
Old 01-01-2014

Spray is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwarckT View Post
Hey Chad: Just wondering how it was going with your "new" boat? I got out yesterday in my Challenger, the first time in a while. The TV forecast was for winds from 20-30 mph, which was a bit of an exaggeration though it got rough at times. I mostly sailed with a reefed main and small jib, but at times it was only the reefed main. Later conditions moderated and I had the full main up with a small jib. Around here it seems the only time the wind blows is when a weather front is coming through. All in all, a pretty good day to sail.
Hi Tom,
Sorry for the extended delay. I was out sailing a fair amount and then hunting season came on. Then, I thought I had set up an email notification for any responses to any of my posts, but I never received any. Then had some computer problems and lost the name of this forum! Whew, with all of the alibi's out of the way....

The boat has been great to me. I waxed and stored it away a few months ago, but am already thinking about the Spring. The roughest wind I've had it out in was about 20 with gusts to 25. After puttering around on the mountain lakes like I had been, with winds barely 5-10, it was awesome! I had a full main and jib. However, I did notice the housing for my keel was spreading apart a little more than I'd like to see, when tacking. But otherwise, the performance has assuaged any regrets I had about purchasing.

I'm curious, for reefing your main, did you use the tell-tales to just tie around the boom at the desired level? Also, how did you take in some of your jib? If I may also ask about your setup based on your uploaded photographs;...
What is the secondary line coming off of the bracket you hook in the jib? It looks like it's going to the mast?

What is the line that comes out of your "cabin" area and goes through the same jib bracket mentioned above?

What is the line running down off of that same bracket, down around the starboard side?

Again, I'm terribly sorry for the ridiculous delay. I promise I'll be more responsive! Also, just wanted to again say what an awesome resource this is. I would have never found any other Challenger owners without this!

Chad
Old 01-01-2014

Also, I wanted to thank you for uploading the awesome photos! Granted, it's my first sailboat, but the Challenger just looks sweet and yours is no exception.
Old 01-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by papeanut9 View Post
Responding to "Spray"

I have a Challenger 15 in the water out-front. If a photo would help you I can send one to I-pad

Jim Northern Michigan
Hi Jim,
Thank you so much for the offer and the first warm-weather day you have, I'd love to see a bunch of photos of your Challenger. I am still very new and am very curious to see other people's setup. However, I don't want you to now venture out into that icy/snowy abyss that Northern Michigan must be right now

Chad
Old 01-01-2014

papeanut9 is on a distinguished road

Hi Chad,

I will be happy to send some photos of my Chalenger 15 when I get it back in the water in May. In the meantime I'm cutting holes in the ice to get some yelow perch for dinner.

I bought my Chalenger over 35 years ago. It was sitting neglected in a barnyard and was sun bleached but still very solid.

I was told that this particular one was raced by the Leon Irish family, and that it had extra features. I have never seen another one, so I have no details.

Jim