Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2004

ktum6 is on a distinguished road
report + decision: beneteau 32s5

Thanks to all who have provided opinions during our boat search (particularly, a big thanks to Jeff H.).

After seeing a whole lot of boats we''ve finally had our offer on a beneteau first 32s5 accepted. Pending a survey report, we''ll get possession in early August. To say I''m excited would be an understatement. (I''d owned a Hobie 16 a decade or so ago, but this is our first keelboat.)

The boats that were on our final list included the beneteau 35s5, c&c 33, c&c 34 and the sabre 34. we''ve also looked at a few larger boats, including the c&c 37+, express 37, beneteau 38s5 and cal 39.

In the end we decided to get the smaller boat, sail it mostly in the bay (San francisco Bay) with occasional jaunts up or down the coast. The 32s5 offered the best compromise of cost, accomodations, modern design and speed for what we were after. It may well turn out that in 3-5 years we''ll consider more serious cruises and need a 37-40 footer, but that''s a decsion that would have to be made down the line.

For now, we can''t wait to get on the water. After months of reading, searching, calling and driving around, we''re almost there. Thanks again to everyone for their helpful comments along the way.

kt.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
report + decision: beneteau 32s5

Congradulations. I think that you made a good choice.

Regards
Jeff
Old 05-20-2007
<>

sjsailor is on a distinguished road
Update?

Kt,

Assuming you get/see this post, can you provide an update on your experiences with the 32s5 on SF Bay? I have a friend who is considering purchase of one.
Old 05-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
SJS-

Considering that Ktum6 hasn't posted to the forum in three years, and that this was about their last post...it isn't all that likely that they're still reading it. You'd be better off not reviving dead threads, but starting a new one if you need/want information.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-09-2007

ktum6 is on a distinguished road
Well, I do still read this now and then. :-)

On the whole the 32s5 worked really well. It is a light boat though, and you just have to use a small jib (90%) and be ready to reef a lot in the summer.

As for accomodations, the aft cabin is a bit cramped for two, but works just fine for weekend trips.

Good luck with your search

kt.
Old 06-13-2007

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
SD / Ktum ---

This might be a first! I don't think any OP has ever reposted to an old thread like this. You never know, you know.
Old 06-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
SailinJay-

I think you're right.. better write this down...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-08-2007

Ianconboy is on a distinguished road
Hi,
I'M also thinking of buying a Beneteau First32s5, the boat that I am looking at happens to have a bulb keel. I live and sail on the mid west coast of Ireland and altough its a good sailing area to say that we are short on facilities would be an understatement ie. we have no marinas only moorings and drying harbours. And this is where my problem lies: does the 32s5 or for that matter any bulb keel boat dry against a harbour wall well? does it put too much strain on too small an area of the hull? Or should I look for the fin or wing keel version?
Thanks IC
Old 12-28-2008

starck is on a distinguished road
A little bit to late but you write that you check it sometimes.

I do not really have any experience with mooring at drying docks (even though I bought the boat in Southampton). But I do not really see the difference between the different keel configurations. You still get the same stress at the hull. I do not know how it will work if there is deep mud but that is another story :-)

BUT if we disregard the mud you should bear in mind that all yachts are built to be able to stand on the keel. Ofcourse you will need something to balance the boat so it doesn't turn over on the side.

I can only give you my experience with a First 32s5 in Sweden. Here most of us bring down the rigging and lift the boat on shore for winter storage. I experience the 32s5 as a bit back-heavy when standing on the tip of the keel. Partly because the keel tip is rounded. It makes me a bit nervous thinking about winter storms and such so I usually put a support in the aft. As you can see on the second picture here

sailstarck.com/Forum/tabid/53/forumid/1/threadid/1/scope/posts/Default.aspx

When the picture is taken it is April and it has been standing there since October (of course with a cover on top).

That would indicate that if leaving the boat at a dry out dock you should tight it up properly to the dock. She will probably not tip over backwards but you will get a uncomfortable lean backwards.
Old 04-02-2009
Alan

portfolio is on a distinguished road
Beneteau 32s5 owners or knowledgeable sailors

I've been trying to find a report on the Beneteau 32s5 series sailboat to no avail. I don't know why there's not much information on the internet. I've found a couple of references here on this forum and will pose the question ...hopefully some owner or knowledgeable sailor can help me out.

I'm very interested in buying this sailboat. I am not a terribly experienced sailor but I got my first two levels of sailing courses under my belt along with a navigation certificate. I've sailed for a total of about 10 times and one three week off shore course on a HR46

My intention is to coastal cruise and not cross any oceans. Do you think this boat can be handled easily short-handed or single handed? I understand most if not all of the lines are lead aft with the traveller set across the companionway. It looks like it may not be as forgiving when it comes to stronger winds but not sure. I have also taken note that the boat seems to be tender according to a previous poster on this thread. So what are your thoughts?

Thanks
Alan