Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat Buying By The Numbers

It's NOT crazy to buy a boat by numbers...
Those of us who race, look at Portsmouth and PHRF numbers to figure out what to buy... leading to the SA mantra of "What's it rate?"

People like me look at the PHRF numbers and PRICE! ha! There you go, buying by numbers!

Seriously though... wanna find out what boat is right for you? Sail a few! Bum a ride on a few peoples boats... Owners always appreciate a deck ape to do the hard work for them. Bring your own food/beer, and maybe some to share and you'll get LOTS of offers to go sailing you'll quickly figure out what you like and don't like!
Old 07-10-2013

ctl411 is on a distinguished road

Another fun one to use is prismatic coefficient. And +1 on phrf.
I love the numbers also I had a bunch of lists like yours looking for our new boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

If buying a boat was like buying a car, where all you had to do was visit local dealers and test drive whatever car you think suits your needs, most aspects of the boat search wouldn't be necessary. But when you're looking at driving or flying hundreds or thousands of miles to walk through and test sail one or two boats, you need to be able to filter out what boats might not be right for you. The more ways you have of doing that filtering, the less boats you'll actually have to make the trip to see. This may mean missing the perfect boat, but if that's your goal, you could be looking for years and visiting all parts of the globe.

The way we've been doing this is:
  1. Check online inventory
  2. View the photos
  3. Survey the equipment list
  4. Look for upgrades and when they were made
  5. Do some research on that model boat
  6. Find out what we can about that particular boat
  7. Add it to the list that will be sent to our broker, if we like it

We also read reviews, get feedback from the broker on the boat, find owners online and see what they have to say (this has to be filtered, a lot!)

And then comes the abstract - the numbers derived from formulas. While a heavy displacement, low sail area boat might get dropped from the list, a lower comfort rating might not have any effect. It's not because we don't care about comfort, it's because the formula, while widely accepted, was just dreamed up. Ted Brewer openly admits that. Therefore, it may or may not be relevant. Only a sea trial in heavy weather or honest assessments from owners can answer that.

In the end, most buyers make their buying decision based on things like a sea trial and survey. But before you get to that boat, there has to be filters in place or it could end up costing you more to see all the boats than to buy just one.
Old 07-10-2013

You will notice a difference in motion. Yes Ted did say it was a tongue in cheek formula but he as so said it is valide if used to compare similar size boats. Two 37 foot boats, a 37c vs. a 37.5 legend my wife noticed the difference at the dock. You could really tell the different motion out sailing. Don't discount comfort for a cruiser. I all you are going to do is day sail or race beer cans races then hop off for the night by all means buy a light quick motion boat. But if you plan to be on it for longer, a comfortable boat becomes higher priority. I'm not saying a full keel tank but really think about how YOU will use YOUR boat.
Old 07-10-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
You will notice a difference in motion. Yes Ted did say it was a tongue in cheek formula but he as so said it is valide if used to compare similar size boats. Two 37 foot boats, a 37c vs. a 37.5 legend my wife noticed the difference at the dock. You could really tell the different motion out sailing. Don't discount comfort for a cruiser. I all you are going to do is day sail or race beer cans races then hop off for the night by all means buy a light quick motion boat. But if you plan to be on it for longer, a comfortable boat becomes higher priority. I'm not saying a full keel tank but really think about how YOU will use YOUR boat.
Speaking from one who has a full keel tank with a motion comfort rating of 45, I can assure you the numbers do mean something. Our previous boat was rated a very comfortable 30, and our current boat's motion is noticeably more "comfortable" when the seas get choppy and the winds pipe up.
Old 07-10-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

ctl:
How are you going to use Cp to buy a boat?
Or, was that a joke that flew over my flat head?
I think you would be very hard pressed to even find accurate Cp's for used boats.
Not sure the typical boat buyer understand Cp enough to get much information from it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 07-10-2013

Bob kind of a joke but she did say she likes numbers. I would also place her above typical. The typical owner doesn't even adjust jib leads lol. But from our Mule discussion I know the rules.
Stupid Stupid Stupid Cp.
Terry.
Old 07-10-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

ctl:
Can't say I can recall the "mule discussion".

I'm not saying Cp's are "stupid". I'm just saying a clear understanding of their merits and limitations is necessary if you are going to use it as a referance number. And it is a very hard number to find on many designs. Then, for most cruisers it may not even be relevant.

I'll talk Cp's all night long if you like. I'm easily entertained.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 07-10-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
...This may mean missing the perfect boat, but if that's your goal, you could be looking for years and visiting all parts of the globe...
I thought you were doing that already...
Old 07-10-2013

Bob,Mule sail and we tend to forget the discussions we lose lol. Or give up on when you get bored (more likely the case).

James + 1. I've sold and bought a boat in less time.
But I've owned a few and know how bad it sucks to be without a boat.