Not a Member? 

Like Tree64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Full Keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
But how can we use results from a race where you can run your engine? Not that I don't like the idea, I've wanted to run my engine in a lot of races, but it sort of throws performance comparisons out the window. Or am I wrong?
Well, this is not a "serious" race but what they do is seeing how many hours the engine was run and give a penalty for it according with the hours the engine worked. The ones that take it more seriously don't use the engine because the penalization does not compensate. The fastest boats don't use the engine.

Last year I was absolutely perplexed with the incredible performance of a Island Packard 485 on the beginning of the Transat. The IP was "racing" in the middle of the performance cruisers and then at less than the middle of the transat they become really slow. I guess that the fuel was becoming low, even if the boat carries about 1200L

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Arc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post

Sure, I guess everyone knows it's a race whenever 2 yachts are in sight of each other and going in the same direction, so, statistically, picking the boats in the lead you should be right. Looking at the routes of some of them I'm just not sure your sample size is large enough or that the results of one "race" is enough to make a definite conclusion. Are there any past results available?
Yes, here you have the results of other editions.

World Cruising Club - ARC Results

If you go back on the interesting boat thread to November last year you will find there the coverage of that edition and the one the year before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
What about the Laurin 32?
That was on another rally one much smaller (a bit more than 30 boats ARC+). I have already explained that but it seems that the confusing.

Talking about the Laurin I love those guys and their spirit. They certainly very good sailors, even if not young...and that is even nicer. The boat photo shows them going across the finish line with style.

They have that boat for many years and cruised extensively. They made on that boat the first edition of this rally, back in 1986 with the Laurin.

"Even after this long and arduous trip across an ocean, the taste of a cold rum punch and a warm smiley welcome is enough to turn any tiring sailor into a giddy child.

Owner of the Laurin 32’ Corona AQ, Pekka Karlsson steered his boat into Rodney Bay Marina for the third time flying the ARC flag. He and his wife Barbro participated in the very first ARC back in 1986, and again in 2001.

Pekka thought his ARC days were up but when the news came that a new ARC rally had been launched taking the fleet via the Cape Verdes, he and his wife signed up and began preparing their ever trusty Corona AQ for another Atlantic crossing.

On arrival into Rodney Bay Marina Pekka Karlsson explained how ‘the Marina may have changed a lot but the atmosphere and feeling on arrival is just as good as I remember’.

Regards

Paulo
Classic30 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Tags
full keel , light winds , puget sound , sailing performance

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.