Not a Member? 

Like Tree64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2013

GBurton is on a distinguished road
Re: Full Keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Somehow I think that is a critical statement re: full keelers performance.

How many of them have Sa/D ratios over 15 or so? I would venture "not many" and that short sail is the real cause of their rep for being slow in light air, or at least as much to blame as the wetted surface.

I met a guy once who had a hot rodded '65 Chevy Impala that would run the 1/4 mile in the 10 second range. That aircraft carrier was the automotive equivalent of a full keel but it had the "sail area" to make up for it.

Yes, and many people who sail these boats don't have the sails to make the boat move like it can. I prefer the heavier boat even if it means greater sail area than a lighter boat of similar length, because I like the way the heavier boat sails. Its a personal preference as others have stated in this thread.

Some make the assumption that, because they once sailed past a heavy full keeled boat "with all working sails flying" etc ad nauseum, that these boats are pigs.
Not true.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2013

b40Ibis is on a distinguished road

Dave 6330- We have had a bermuda40 three years now. She has a long flat keel w/centerboard. The most annoying thing about this boat is she don't back! I mean back strait. You kind of have to swurl her around while backing using prop walk. I am not sure how other full keelers back. I assume not well.
The Following User Says Thank You to b40Ibis For This Useful Post:
dave6330 (07-16-2013)
Old 07-13-2013

ctl411 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Full Keel

Bob I'm sure you had nothing to do with the race results . You are correct in that a "slow" boat sailed well makes others take notice. Everyone expects a J boat to be fast.
The Following User Says Thank You to ctl411 For This Useful Post:
Stumble (11-02-2013)
Old 07-14-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

I think for many of us our boat choice reflects the painting we want to paint out on the water. It's a very subjective thing, very personal. Not sure, if you fall into this category and I suspect a lot of you do, that differences in performance really matter at all. You learn to compensate and plan trips around your boat's performace capabilities.
joebeach, shanedennis and CatMan22 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-14-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBurton View Post
Yes, and many people who sail these boats don't have the sails to make the boat move like it can. I prefer the heavier boat even if it means greater sail area than a lighter boat of similar length, because I like the way the heavier boat sails. Its a personal preference as others have stated in this thread.

Some make the assumption that, because they once sailed past a heavy full keeled boat "with all working sails flying" etc ad nauseum, that these boats are pigs.
Not true.
exactly. My little 23 foot Sea Sprite has a 30 foot tall rig. Not exactly small for a boat it's size. It's PHRF rating is not that great (in the 200s) but on a day the winds are blowing, she will bury the rail and keep right on going.

Bob is also right. Looks are the main reason any of us buy what we go. I will admit I am a traditionalist. I love traditional looking boats. If I wanted a speed demon, I would own a multihull

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 07-15-2013

dave6330 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I think for many of us our boat choice reflects the painting we want to paint out on the water. It's a very subjective thing, very personal. Not sure, if you fall into this category and I suspect a lot of you do, that differences in performance really matter at all. You learn to compensate and plan trips around your boat's performace capabilities.
Very perceptive, Sir. I guess it's just like the houses we live in (or lived in) and the cars we drive - our choices is going to be driven by a mixture of what we can afford, what serves our needs best, what looks best and what we feel best reflects the image we want to project. No "right" answer here and one size absolutely does not fit all.

As one who is about to re-enter the market, I value all opinions.

Thanks all.

V/R

Dave

"Fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked thier faith"
Old 07-15-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

"what we feel best reflects the image we want to project."

I'll think about that the next time I drive my Subaru Outback to town.
How the hell did I go from being a Mercedes guy to being an Outback guy?

Bob's Blog ....

Old 07-15-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I've never been too concerned about the image I project with my choice of cars. I drive cars that I like and that are nice to drive - period.

If you need a certain type of car to bolster your sense of self by projecting a certain image, well.... Time you grew up or grew a pair.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-16-2013

Eder is on a distinguished road

Its pretty easy to back up my IP 460 I use the bow thruster to steer.
I enjoyed crossing Georgia Strait today from Pender Harbour to Nanaimo...waves and wind were hard on the beam once we cleared Texada...we baked bread,drank coffee, took pictures but saw no other sailboats crossing...maybe they were waiting for better forecast on Wednesday(no wind).
Old 07-16-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

"...I finally understood that the whole point of boats, is, FUN!. That means that whatever you want to do is OK! The problem appears when people start thinking that there is one type of boat that will do all things. There isn't, you see."

George Buehler
George Buehler Yacht Design Home Page
JomsViking likes this.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,

Tags
full keel , light winds , puget sound , sailing performance