Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: Full Keel

Boat popularity has something to do with location too. We like them all here on the coast of Maine, but the classics, some of which are rare in other parts of the world, are like the old houses that will never go out of style on the coast of New England. Rockport Harbor Maine last evening.

Like the old Hinckley B40. It'll always be at the top of any "favorite sailboat" poll. When you get ready to sell it, sail it to Maine overnight(like this one just did), anchor it in Cabot Cove in 4'3" of water, take a picture, and add 10% to the asking price.

ctl411 likes this.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Holy cow Tom!
Whats that double ender to the left in the upper photo.
It makes my heart beat fast.
skygazer likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Holy cow Tom!
Whats that double ender to the left in the upper photo.
It makes my heart beat fast.
I think CAPUCELLO is a Rosinante', Bob. There are a few of them around but no two seem to be alike. It looks like a fun sail.

Attached Thumbnails
Full Keel-capucello-.jpg  

Old 07-16-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Rozinante's have always made me swoon. In the right conditions and with the right crew they can be surprisingly fast, especially the wooden ones, which tend to be mix of a little lighter and with more ballast and sail area than the glass ones.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 07-16-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-16-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
Boat popularity has something to do with location too. We like them all here on the coast of Maine, but the classics, some of which are rare in other parts of the world, are like the old houses that will never go out of style on the coast of New England. Rockport Harbor Maine last evening.

Like the old Hinckley B40. It'll always be at the top of any "favorite sailboat" poll. When you get ready to sell it, sail it to Maine overnight(like this one just did), anchor it in Cabot Cove in 4'3" of water, take a picture, and add 10% to the asking price.

Paint it dark blue first and add 20% to the price.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-16-2013

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Full keel, fin keel blah, blah, blah. It doesn't matter what you choose because 90% of people her in the San Juan's motor everywhere. I sail a full keel boat because I love the way she sails in all weather and yes she can back down under power. I think one of the largest benefits of my full keel cutter is that she can and does sail perfectly going backwards, I have sailed backwards all the way around every one of these islands.
To the OP I live aboard in the PNW year round and have for 5 years, I think you are crazy for wanting this lifestyle but aren't most sailors crazy?

If you want a better performing traditional boat lose the furling sails, they cost you far more than the hull design in speed performance and have absolutely ruined performance under sail for all boats.

Get a boat with an excellent heating system, diesel is best for drying out the massive condensation you will experience for over half the year.

I'm not a fan of engines on sailboats but get a good one, you can only go 6 hours in any direction before the tide starts to pull you home.

When you arrive come by for a glass of wine, I'm always eager to meets people who are as insane as i am
skygazer likes this.
Old 07-16-2013

Kenn43 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Full Keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Then everyone knows full keeled boats can't go in reverse under power. ( I don't know this)
I do know this.
Old 07-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Paint it dark blue first and add 20% to the price.
That's right(Flag Blue they call it around here)! In fact, there may be a 3% deduction for Avocado, I'll check.
SloopJonB likes this.

Old 07-16-2013

dave6330 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
Full keel, fin keel blah, blah, blah. It doesn't matter what you choose because 90% of people her in the San Juan's motor everywhere. I sail a full keel boat because I love the way she sails in all weather and yes she can back down under power. I think one of the largest benefits of my full keel cutter is that she can and does sail perfectly going backwards, I have sailed backwards all the way around every one of these islands.
To the OP I live aboard in the PNW year round and have for 5 years, I think you are crazy for wanting this lifestyle but aren't most sailors crazy?

If you want a better performing traditional boat lose the furling sails, they cost you far more than the hull design in speed performance and have absolutely ruined performance under sail for all boats.

Get a boat with an excellent heating system, diesel is best for drying out the massive condensation you will experience for over half the year.

I'm not a fan of engines on sailboats but get a good one, you can only go 6 hours in any direction before the tide starts to pull you home.

When you arrive come by for a glass of wine, I'm always eager to meets people who are as insane as i am
God willing we'll meet up sometime down there and I'll have that glass of wine with you.

"Fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked thier faith"
Old 07-16-2013
Advocate777

Advocate777 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
Yes, for sure. IPs are built for a market that exists for "classic" cruising boats built like brick sh!thouses. They conjure dreams of low pressure cruising in reliable latitudes.

The long keelers are dream makers. They may not win any races around the buoys but they will give you the confidence to get out there.
Shanedennis-- very true....and that is a good thing as whatever gets you 'out there' or as John Lennon sang 'whatever gets you through the night..is alright, is alrright'

I guess race sailors, and sailing as a true sport- speed and performance - that is a level of purity which must be wonderful to experience - so, it is no wonder that real day sailors and race sailors would not be impressed with an IP. No problem there. But for those looking to sail in mid-latitudes the IP is a great boat. I am chartering an IP27 next week for 3 days and I have sailed on a IP31/32 previously so I will tell you all about it. Obviously, for sheer sailing thrill and pleasure and performance....the IP is a dog. But, for those of us who like to feel the heavy non-tender platform as a basis--even though we are obviously outsailed in light air, will enjoy the IP for other reasons.
Still, as a eager boat buyer.....the IP's do seem to be overpriced. But, in a market economy of supply and demand...that's just the way it is.
Now, I speak only as a beginner --Certainly not someone who has been sailing on many different boats for 30 years.
In fact, I have never sailed on a fast sailboat...maybe that is a good thing as it would make me extra picky!
My only sailboats that I have sailed have been a 15-foot lake sailor/dinghy, a West Whight Potter 15 I owned in S. Florida, a 50 foot Pearson in Florida, a Island packet 32 and a Dufour Gib'Sea 50. That is the extent of my sailboats.
So....I'm sure I would be spoiled for speed and performance if I had been exposed to the sailboats that 'IP bashers' have sailed in. Maybe then I would be an 'IP basher'.
But....I am a middle aged guy looking for a relatively comfortable cruiser to sail the coastal atlantic, the keys, and the bahamas.. so, I'm sure there are many suitable boats for me...and I understand the IP bashers but I am not so knowledgeable to bash it as the boats I have sailed is negligible.
I might wind up buying an IP 29 or 31 and if I did.....I would consider myself fortunate to own such a boat!
But....I am always willing to learn which is the best affordable boat for my needs... and I respect all opinions, of course.

Tags
full keel , light winds , puget sound , sailing performance