Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Full Keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenn43 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Then everyone knows full keeled boats can't go in reverse under power. ( I don't know this)
I do know this.
Well, FWIW, my old full-keeler goes in reverse under power just fine.. In fact, given the old girl's tendency to be blown sideways whilst coming into the marina at crawling speed, I find reverse allows me far more control than going forward.

Maybe you're doing something wrong?
Old 07-16-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

777:
Well said. There are many different ways to enjoy sailing . There are no wrong ways.

Tom: I see now that it is a Rosinante. But in that first photo it looks twice as long and half as beamy. Must be the lens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
777:
Well said. There are many different ways to enjoy sailing . There are no wrong ways.

Tom: I see now that it is a Rosinante. But in that first photo it looks twice as long and half as beamy. Must be the lens.
Good eye. Wide angle 10mm. It's a handy lens at the docks, especially for boats like this 22Square meter. For those that hate long overhangs, here's a teeth grinder.

Jeff_H, JomsViking and ctl411 like this.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 07-17-2013
grumpy old man

Tom:
How could anyone hate those overhangs? That is beautiful and simply a product of it's rule. That rule produced some stunning boats.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 07-17-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Exactly! There is little that will make a boat as beautiful as long overhangs - performance be damned.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-17-2013
grumpy old man

That cabin trunk is exquisite.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 07-25-2013

dave6330 is on a distinguished road

I know it comes dangerously close to highjacking my own thread, but does anyone have any real-world (as opposed to anacdotal) experience they would be willing to share regarding the durability (over time as well as under stress) of the various rudder designs?

What I want to hear are comments like, "we crossed the Atlantic with a spade rudder and never had a lick of trouble" or "ours broke off the stern in a mild five foot following swell".

"Fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked thier faith"
Old 07-26-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Every boat I've owned has had a spade, on shafts or on pintles & gudgeons - I've never had a lick of trouble with any of them.

The boats I've sailed with attached rudders were all much harder to steer than the spades. I've never sailed a boat with a skeg hung rudder.

I do know that I prefer a tiller and I absolutely HATE hydraulic steering - lifeless & insensitive as well as prone to leaks. I can't imagine why anyone would install it if they had ANY other option.

A spade with a tiller is stone axe technology - just what you want for steering a boat IMHO.
JomsViking likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-26-2013

tidewaterv is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Full Keel

any cruising boat that has hull that is laid up glass WITHOUT a core material like balsa core or similar is a real safe start in a search .many early hulls before 1973 were made of different glass than those later.early were polyester &much harder & stronger ....also most polyester hulls do not get the pox...better known as blisters...almost any hull by c&c,hughes_canada..hinterholler,belleville marine made before 1973 should be considered.manufacturers changed because of cost but mostly because of molds catching fire..very flamable materiels before they harden...most people are not aware of these changes...but smart buyer s in the know will take this into consideration..
Old 07-26-2013
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road

Boats, Yachts: The Wonderful World of Hull Blistering

Read this for a more accurate description of blisters and how they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidewaterv View Post
any cruising boat that has hull that is laid up glass WITHOUT a core material like balsa core or similar is a real safe start in a search .many early hulls before 1973 were made of different glass than those later.early were polyester &much harder & stronger ....also most polyester hulls do not get the pox...better known as blisters...almost any hull by c&c,hughes_canada..hinterholler,belleville marine made before 1973 should be considered.manufacturers changed because of cost but mostly because of molds catching fire..very flamable materiels before they harden...most people are not aware of these changes...but smart buyer s in the know will take this into consideration..

Tags
full keel , light winds , puget sound , sailing performance