Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: Help me find my next boat 24-29 foot

Pretty good looking Cat 30 here with a Yanmar which was fitted 94. CLICKY

Offer them 10 k and they will snap your arm off. Might get it for 9.

Catalina 30s are nice bright boats down below and sail well. Also they have a very active owners association.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Pretty good looking Cat 30 here with a Yanmar which was fitted 94. CLICKY

Offer them 10 k and they will snap your arm off. Might get it for 9.
Uhh, that's my old boat but I doubt that the OP wants to go to VA to get a boat. I sold it about 15 years ago.
Hate to say it, but it is one rough looking boat, at least on the outside. It's going take a lot of elbow grease to make it look even halfway presentable. Those pictures were taken 2-3 years ago after the boat was cleaned up some. Looks 5 times worse now. I don't even like walking down the dock it is on because I hate to look at it. In the condition it is in, no one would offer anything close to the asking price. Maybe half.

Last edited by chuck53; 07-14-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-14-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Good luck finding one in his price range. He might find a project boat for under $10,000, but "pay me now or pay me later." Most likely anything he finds will have lot of refit expenses.
I bought my Cal 2-27 for a bit more than $6k. It has a diesel, and was in pretty good shape -- not perfect, but far from a "project boat". The only major faults were that she had some pretty tired sails (I got some not-so-tired sails at Minney's for a few hundred bucks), had a corroded fuel tank (I installed a new Vetus tank and replaced the fuel lines for about $400), and needed a real holding tank for the toilet (it had a badly installed 3-gal tank, just to satisfy the USCG; I installed a 13-gal tank).

$10k is a pretty realistic limit, IMHO. One might have to look around a bit, and have realistic expectations. But with a little patience the OP could find his boat without too much trouble.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 07-14-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-14-2013

dan8152 is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for such great replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
You will still be "camping" on a boat in that size range, although it will be more comfortable camping. A Catalina 27 would be an excellent choice, as would a Catalina 30, although you will be hard pressed to find a C30 under $10K.

Rather than deciding on a particular make and model, I suggest you find the best deal available that meets your criteria. There are plenty of choices in the Mid-Atlantic; I suspect the same situation exists in the Great Lakes area. It is still very much a buyer's market in this area.
Yes I think we are going to find the best deal available that meets are needs.
We looked at a nice 1991 O'day 290 with inboard diesel today that needed little other than a good cleaning, upgrading non working electronics, and a new genoa. Told we could get it for $10k

also looked at a nice 1987 Ericson 26 with inboard diesel for around $8k that needed some cleaning but otherwise sound.

We tossed the numbers for cradle storage and winter storage and reality hit that we need a smaller trailerable boat even if we only trailer twice a year. We have a nice large heated building that we keep our boat in now for winter for free. Having to pay $1000+ a year to store plus launching fees is not a possibility now (the wife want's a new house more than a large boat I guess)

So looking at catalina 25's and trying to find out more about Luguna 26's as there are a lot of them in my marina. Called on a Hunter 26.5 with trailer. I guess I will learn to tow a boat if I have to and not rely on others. The skipper (wife) cut our budget to 6K or less so a boat with an outboard it will be.

We did some relaxing sailing today after looking at some boats and said when we see the next boat we want we will know.
Old 07-16-2013
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough

Just to toss out a wacky outlier.... keep an eye peeled for a Hughes/Northstar in your size range. Many were Tanzer spinoffs or new S&S designs, including the Northstar 1000. There's a fair number of them still kicking around the Great Lakes, generally at bargain prices. Some had Atomic 4 (gasoline) inboards, but that's not necessarily a deal-killer. Can be easier to start than an old diesel on cool weather!

Many boats of this vintage were dark and stuffy inside. Adding hatches, Dorades, and opening ports can make a world of difference & is within the ability of most owners.

Edit: just saw your last post. Urps. Yeah, the cost of ownership quickly outstrips the value of the boat -- esp. in the Great Lakes! The PO of our Albin was dropping ~6000 a year to keep the boat in Chicago. Might look into the S2 lineup, then.
Jimmy E likes this.

Last edited by bobmcgov; 07-16-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old 07-16-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Might be worth looking at C&C27 as well, almost as big inside as many 30' and plenty around the lakes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan8152 View Post
...So looking at catalina 25's and trying to find out more about Luguna 26's as there are a lot of them in my marina. Called on a Hunter 26.5 with trailer. I guess I will learn to tow a boat if I have to and not rely on others. The skipper (wife) cut our budget to 6K or less so a boat with an outboard it will be...
The guy I mentioned before just cut his asking price for his Catalina 25 to $4500. He said "just make offer, don't worry about advertised price."

I have not seen the boat, and have no personal interest. But if his posted pics are recent, it looks like a pretty nice boat. And he's got his new boat and seems really desperate, er, I mean motivated, to sell. If your budget is tight, this could be a real bargain. If you look at this boat, let us know how it shows, because I'm curious whether it's as nice as he says it is, or if he's just hyping it:

Catalina 25, Fin Keel/Standard Rig
Catalina 25, 1980, Muskegon, Michigan, sailboat for sale from Sailing Texas, yacht for sale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 07-17-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Pearson 28-2 has a very different interior layout (head aft, cabin pushed forward) that makes for a very bright vee berth. It also has a large aft berth that we prefer to sleep in, though it has less headroom.

Worth checking out if you come across one. They are uncommon over here on the west coast, but seem common on the east coast, I'm not sure about on the great lakes. I don't think you'll find one for under $10k, but you might get lucky.

Some European boats (various models of the Benetuau Firsts under 30') have a similar interior and so does the modern J/97 and Pacific Seacraft Dana.

I don't think a Catalina 25 has 5'8" standing room. I'm 5'10" and it seemed like it needed more than a couple of inches to fit me.

I've sailed the 25 a ton, my 28-2 a ton, and a 22 a little bit. The 25 sails better than the 22, and the 28-2 sails very nicely too.
Old 07-17-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Pearson 28-2 has a very different interior layout (head aft, cabin pushed forward) that makes for a very bright vee berth. It also has a large aft berth that we prefer to sleep in, though it has less headroom.

Worth checking out if you come across one. They are uncommon over here on the west coast, but seem common on the east coast, I'm not sure about on the great lakes. I don't think you'll find one for under $10k, but you might get lucky.

Some European boats (various models of the Benetuau Firsts under 30') have a similar interior and so does the modern J/97 and Pacific Seacraft Dana.

I don't think a Catalina 25 has 5'8" standing room. I'm 5'10" and it seemed like it needed more than a couple of inches to fit me.

I've sailed the 25 a ton, my 28-2 a ton, and a 22 a little bit. The 25 sails better than the 22, and the 28-2 sails very nicely too.
FYI, I saw a couple of the Pearson 28-2 boats when shopping a few years ago. They're great boats! As I reread the OP's changing budget situation, I doubt a fixed keel C25 or a P28 would fit his trailering requirement.

By the way, we're flying out to Seattle tomorrow to visit my son for a long weekend. We're renting a C25 from Island Sailing Club in Kirkland on Sunday. It will be my first time ever sailing a C25 (as opposed to the C250 that I own). I think you used ot own a C25, right?
jimgo likes this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 07-17-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Enjoy, Rick. I will be curious to hear what you think of the 25 compared to the 250.
1975 Albacore 15