Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Help me find my next boat 24-29 foot

Most importantly, you have to decide which is more important: sailing now, or your budget. If, like most of us, budget is more important, be patient. Believe me, I know it's hard. But be patient.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2013

dan8152 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
I don't think you can go wrong with either the Cat 27 or 30. Our first boat was a C-30. After looking at many brands, my wife and I decided a C-27 would be our best bet. We looked at quite a few and just happened on a C-30 one day and fell in love with it the minute we stepped inside the cabin. We had it for 4 years and sold it for $500 less than we paid for it. We are both taller than you guys and we had 2 teenage boys so we really liked the extra room of the 30'. After having a C-22, the 27 will feel huge to you guys. Actually even the C-25 would be a big step up for you but you are right, finding one with an inboard will be next to impossible. Very few were made.

We now have a C-34.
So this C30 that is on our pier that we both love looking at just put a for sale sign on it. We contacted the owners and looked at it and that was a mistake My wife LOVES it and that does not happen too often. We are crunching numbers now trying to figure out how to make it happen. It's a big jump up, but just perfect for Lake michigan cruising, but we figure we won't need another boat. I guess that fact that the owners take really good care of her and it was perfect looking made my wife love the idea. it's about double or first budget though at around $20K and we can't trailer it, but we both said "this is the boat" after we looked at her...
Old 08-04-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan8152 View Post
So this C30 that is on our pier that we both love looking at just put a for sale sign on it. We contacted the owners and looked at it and that was a mistake My wife LOVES it and that does not happen too often. We are crunching numbers now trying to figure out how to make it happen. It's a big jump up, but just perfect for Lake michigan cruising, but we figure we won't need another boat. I guess that fact that the owners take really good care of her and it was perfect looking made my wife love the idea. it's about double or first budget though at around $20K and we can't trailer it, but we both said "this is the boat" after we looked at her...
I'm not surprised. You guys will love the boat. Let me know if you have any questions and check out the C-30 owners website as well.
Old 08-04-2013

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Lower fuel costs, greater durability, higher torque, no cavitation, no blower required, a real alternator, no carburetor to varnish up, spark plugs to foul, coils to die, or ethanol eaten fuel lines to worry about, and if one keeps up on the minimal maintenance required, you never have to worry about how easy it is to swap out.

Lots of sailboats out there with reliable 30 year old diesels still chugging away- not many with reliable 30 year old 2 stroke outboards.
Some of what you say is germane, some not. Lower fuel costs? Diesel costs more than Regular. Durability? I'll give that to diesels. Cavitatiion... I'm speaking of purpose-build outboard wells... no cavitation on my boat. No blower, OK, diesels have a $100 advantage. Real alternator... any boat in the outboard-sized realm probably does not care much about an alternator. A 30 watt solar panel costs $60 on EBay.

Carb to varnish up? Ethonol-free gas is available if one searches. If one must, carb cleaning is a 2-hour job. Plugs to foul... $10 spares and 5 minutes handle that. Ethanol eaten lines... one can find ethanol-free gas in many places... do a search. I have not run gas with ethanol in years.

I am not saying one is better than another, both have their merits. But when an outboard fails, it is a 30 minute change-out. With a diesel, it is 15 days... and counting.

I think it is more instructive to discuss pros and cons rather that categorically state one is better than another.
Old 08-06-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan8152 View Post
Same thing happened to me. My boat wasn't quite twice my budget, but it was my entire budget - nothing left over for slip, taxes, survey, etc.

I took out a small 401K loan, something I swore I'd never do. I consider it my student loan payment for the life lesson 'save more for the damn boat'.

Still not sorry. When you find the boat, you find the boat.

I look forward to pictures.
Old 08-07-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hriehl1 View Post
Some of what you say is germane, some not. Lower fuel costs? Diesel costs more than Regular. .
but a diesel uses half as much fuel as an outboard. and, in this area, diesel is cheaper than gas per litre as well.

Try a diesel on a boat larger than 3500 lbs displacement and you'll never go back to outboards.

I've done both- i know which i prefer on a cruising boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-21-2013

dan8152 is on a distinguished road

well we got a boat today! A catalina 30 and I'm super excited yet overwhelmed at the same time. Survey came out good though I was white knuckled mooring her today in some wind (she is HUGE going from a C22). The previous owners are great people and really helped make this happen.

wanted to add we did go over budget but got a really nice boat that needs little.
It has older electronics though most work, it's very clean, passed survey, quite a bit of cruising extras (full canvas dodger/bimini). perkins diesel, and the wife loves it.

Last edited by dan8152; 08-21-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-22-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Congratulations! Best wishes for many happy years together!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 08-22-2013

daledog is on a distinguished road

Nice boats. Nothing wrong with Cats. Want my docking advice? SLOOOOW. I creep in if I can. Coast to a stop. Finger piers? It's easy to pull alongside, stop and pull her in. I single handed a 30 Cal 3000 miles. There have been VERY few times I've relied on reverse to stop in a tight spot. SLOOOW! I don't know that I've ever backed into a finger pier...I always pull her back.
Old 08-22-2013

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

Congrats! PLENTY of room on that boat.