Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2013

dan8152 is on a distinguished road
Help me find my next boat 24-29 foot

Hello all, new here, but long time lurker. The wife and I have a catalina 22 that we keep at the marina. (I have my brother or a friend trailer it twice a year as I hate trailering). We love the boat but We have a slip and like staying on the boat for relaxing weekends. We don't much care for the "camping" on it and want to move up to an enclosed head, standing headroom, fixed keel, and I would love an inboard. We sail out of winthrop harbor on Lake michigan. We are both pretty short as I'm 5'8" and she is 5'2" though I always have small cuts on my head from the low cabin on the catalina 22 We both enjoy relaxing cruising.

Today we looked an a very nice Westerly Tiger 25 and I thought it was perfect! But the wife thought the v berth cabin was dark and too Enclosed. She did not like the enclosed non brightness of it. the enclosed head did not have a mirror or sink. She said it did not wow her. I showed her a photo of a hunter 26.5 and she said that cabin looked bright and inviting.

I have been searching local listing nonstop for days with not much. I thought maybe a Catalina 25 with an inboard but they are far and few. Locally there are some Catalina 27's and 30's.

We thought of the idea of a larger boat and storing it at the Marina as we hate the whole trailering thing and relying on someone to trailer it (boat went in almost a month late this year waiting for my bro to trailer it. We have a 30' slip and I don't want go larger.

What are some good boats in that size range I should be looking for? Also we are trying to keep the cost well below $10k

Last edited by dan8152; 07-13-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Re: Help me find my next boat 24-29 foot

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Cat 27 or 30. Our first boat was a C-30. After looking at many brands, my wife and I decided a C-27 would be our best bet. We looked at quite a few and just happened on a C-30 one day and fell in love with it the minute we stepped inside the cabin. We had it for 4 years and sold it for $500 less than we paid for it. We are both taller than you guys and we had 2 teenage boys so we really liked the extra room of the 30'. After having a C-22, the 27 will feel huge to you guys. Actually even the C-25 would be a big step up for you but you are right, finding one with an inboard will be next to impossible. Very few were made.

We now have a C-34.
jameswilson29 likes this.

Last edited by chuck53; 07-13-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-13-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

The C27 and C30 are both nice boats, and the 30 will REALLY get you past the "camping" feel. Also check out the Hunter 28.5 (but NOT the 28). The O'Day 272's are nice, but the wing keel can make them less of a performer than the others. The 272's V-berth was a little small for me (I'm 5'10+). The Pearson 27 and 30 are also nice.

Actually, there are a lot of good choices for you.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jimgo; 07-13-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2013

As a fan of Catalina's, they are my first choice, but I agree with Jimco, both O'Days and Pearson's are excellent boats and when we were looking for our current boat, both brands were high on our list.
Old 07-14-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

It sounds like you may be looking for something larger than a Catalina 25, but despite that I'll direct you to this boat that appears to be right across the lake from you:

Catalina 25, Fin Keel/Standard Rig

It looks nice in the pics, but I have no personal knowledge and not personal stake in this. He's asking $5100, but sounds like he's in a big hurry to sell and getting no calls on it at all:

Association Forum - C25 Fin Keel, Standard Rig $5100 obo

To me, that sounds like it would translate into a very soft price. So if you want to stay well under your budget, it might be an option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 07-14-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan8152 View Post

What are some good boats in that size range I should be looking for? Also we are trying to keep the cost well below $10k
Welcome to sailnut.

If you want to keep the cost down you should also look at Cape dory, Bristol & Tartan boats in that size range. Keep in mind that some of these are older boats that may need some overdue maintenance.
TJC45 likes this.

Everybody has one:

Old 07-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
It sounds like you may be looking for something larger than a Catalina 25, but despite that I'll direct you to this boat that appears to be right across the lake from you:

Catalina 25, Fin Keel/Standard Rig

It looks nice in the pics, but I have no personal knowledge and not personal stake in this. He's asking $5100, but sounds like he's in a big hurry to sell and getting no calls on it at all:

To me, that sounds like it would translate into a very soft price. So if you want to stay well under your budget, it might be an option.
nice affordable boat but the OP really wants an inboard diesel. He should be able to find a C-27 within his price range, maybe even a 30.
Old 07-14-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

A Cal 27 (2-27 or 3-27, not the pop-top 27), Ericson 27, or an Islander 28 would all be good candidates. There are lots of boats around that size for less than $10k. Although, finding one in good shape with a diesel for less than $10k might not be easy.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 07-14-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
nice affordable boat but the OP really wants an inboard diesel...
Good luck finding one in his price range. He might find a project boat for under $10,000, but "pay me now or pay me later." Most likely anything he finds will have lot of refit expenses.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 07-14-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan8152 View Post
We don't much care for the "camping" on it and want to move up to an enclosed head, standing headroom, fixed keel, and I would love an inboard... Locally there are some Catalina 27's and 30's. ...
You will still be "camping" on a boat in that size range, although it will be more comfortable camping. A Catalina 27 would be an excellent choice, as would a Catalina 30, although you will be hard pressed to find a C30 under $10K.

Rather than deciding on a particular make and model, I suggest you find the best deal available that meets your criteria. There are plenty of choices in the Mid-Atlantic; I suspect the same situation exists in the Great Lakes area. It is still very much a buyer's market in this area.
chuck53, SchockT and TJC45 like this.