Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Re: Buying a Cruiser---- I finally know what I need- please advise

Perhaps you've discussed it in another thread, but, what are your realistic plans, once you have a boat? A good passage-maker is not necessarily a good coastal cruiser (and vice-a-versa), so knowing what you'll actually do (as best you can) is an important part of the equation.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

I agree with John that your planned use really matters in your choice.

Don't sell yourself short on your ability to learn how to fix things on your boat. It takes time but is a critical way to save money. Also if you cruise to remote places there may be no one else available.
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 07-14-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Have you had a look at the Tayana 37? I think you might like it, if you can find one that fits in your budget plan, and you should be able to the way things are in the market right now. Seem to be very solid boats and not too tough to sail either, handle rough weather well and they appear to be well built.

The designer is lurking about here somewhere, Bob is really good people.

Tayana 37: Used Boat Review - Features, Boat Reviews and Boat Tests - Boats.com
Old 07-14-2013

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Re: Buying a Cruiser

Why don't you do a filtered search on Yachtworld with the price, length, keel, region etc. parameters and see what comes up? There must be a thousand boats on the east coast that would serve your purpose. Narrow the list down and start visiting boats with someone who can help you discard the lemons. When you have a shortlist, come back here with the links to the boats on Yachtworld and ask specific questions. The good news is that you live in a country awash in great inexpensive used boats. You might want to be more specific in your criteria as well if you want to get better advice (for example, what is "smaller-ish" to you?). Enjoy the boat search- it's usually a lot of fun!
Old 07-15-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

1.) I would specifically advise that you NOT "fall in love" with any boats while you are still shopping. Fall in love with your boat AFTER you buy it, not before. Too many bad purchase decisions have been made by people who fell in love with a boat before the deal was done.

4.) There are lots of boats available on the east coast of the USA, especially in Florida. If you can't find it here then you're being way, way too picky.

5.) "Blue water" means different things to different people. And it is really all about your seamanship, not the boat. The Atlantic has been crossed a number of times by people in open boats less than 20' in length. I doubt, however, that any of them had an especially comfortable journey. Being realistic about what you intend to do, and what level of comfort you expect, is the first step to take to avoid spending a lot of money on a boat that does not fit your needs.

10.) Whether or not you will puke your guts out has less to do with the boat than it does with you. People get seasick practically every week of the year on giant cruise ships. Looking for a boat with a comfortable motion at sea is a fine thing, but don't expect that doing so guarantees that you won't get sick.

8, 9, and 11.) If you only have a total of $70k for purchase and repairs, and you can't do much work yourself, then you are going to be very limited. You are going to have to find an older boat, and a smaller boat, but one that has been reasonably well cared for. Then, if you don't do the work yourself, you are at least going to have to be very good at finding people who do good work for a fair price, and you are going to have to be very good at scrounging used parts and pieces that will serve your needs. Oh, and you might as well accept that the boat is going to look like crap--you can't afford to spend money on anything cosmetic.

You've set yourself some pretty restrictive criteria. Best of luck in finding something that will serve your needs.
Old 07-15-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Irwin 38 CC or Irwin 37 CC - your 50k doesn't get you a well maintained 38, but it will get you a good 37.
And yes, they've been circumnavigated on - which I think qualifies them as 'blue water'.
Old 07-15-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Irwin 38 CC or Irwin 37 CC - your 50k doesn't get you a well maintained 38, but it will get you a good 37.
And yes, they've been circumnavigated on - which I think qualifies them as 'blue water'.
I think it just means that they circumnavigated. At the boat shows Catalina has a display board of where in the world the various Catalinas have sailed. A lot of them have crossed many oceans. At least two that I remember did a circumnavigation. I still don't consider Catalinas "blue water" boats.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-15-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I think it just means that they circumnavigated. At the boat shows Catalina has a display board of where in the world the various Catalinas have sailed. A lot of them have crossed many oceans. At least two that I remember did a circumnavigation. I still don't consider Catalinas "blue water" boats.
tomato - tomatoe

Call them blue water capable then, that's what matters.
Old 07-15-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Call them blue water capable then, that's what matters.
I think that what matters is what the OP means by "blue water capable." If he just wants a boat that is able to make it, a 15' rowboat will do the trick. After all, it has been done. If he wants a boat that will keep him and his crew comfortable on an ocean passage, that's a whole different matter. Then the question becomes, what exactly does he consider "comfortable"?

Only the OP can really determine what he means by the question. As it is, it is much too vague.
Old 07-15-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

As I said in your other similar thread, knowing what you'll actually do with the boat should be part of your equation.
T37Chef and chef2sail like this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog