Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Re: Buying a Cruiser

You could probably find just what you "need" by spending a week looking at boats in Annapolis, just Bert Jabins alone, but then I "don't" want to tell you what to do! LOL

There's a lot of boats that would fit your list, except maybe the full keel requirement (which I think many would tell you is not an indicator for "sea kindly" motion?).

You say you're weary, maybe your trying to hard to find it and not accepting some compromise?

I am sure more will chime in with some great suggestions, but YachtWorld and the like make it pretty easy these days I think. Have you considered working with a broker, perhaps they could help you "focus"?

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

I would worry a lot less about brand than your other requirements. Just look at all full-keel boats on the east coast in your price range on yacht world. Toss out any that do not meet your other requirements. Then of those boats look for ones that have a recent re-power. This should give you a pretty short list of boats to go look at. Often the best deals are in the boats no one has ever heard of.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Kemah, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-15-2013
Advocate777

Advocate777 is on a distinguished road
Re: Buying a Cruiser---- I finally know what I need- please advise

Thank you for your replies--- it really helps to get feedback-- I am going to make a list of the boats mentioned and go check them out. I am chartering an IP27 next week or 3 days out if rock hall maryland with my two sons.
I am also going to pm several of you regarding specific boats you mentioned-
One of you asked what I will use the boat for once I have it.
This is my plan: keep it on the eastern shore of the chesapeake and prepare it and explore and work on my Nav skills and learning the boat real good.
Then I want to take it out of the bay and into the ocean in moderate conditions to be exposed to some larger waves than the usual chop in the bay. I will then take it down the intracoastal and then offshore parallel south off Florida coast. It will be kept at a marina in central east florida- and taken to Biscayne bay and the keys- I plan to cross the Gulf Stream in her and explore the Bahamas and back. I will also want to keep going to make the longer passage from the Caicos to the Dominican Republic and on to cross the Moa Passage to the Carribean.
If I can accomplish that and my confidence and experience grows--- Cuba to the Yucatan to explore and then south to belize and panama.
Although I may never transit the Canal and into the Pacfic for a circumnavigation- maybe I will and either way I want a boat that could do it if I want it to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-15-2013
Advocate777

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
Have you had a look at the Tayana 37? I think you might like it, if you can find one that fits in your budget plan, and you should be able to the way things are in the market right now. Seem to be very solid boats and not too tough to sail either, handle rough weather well and they appear to be well built.

The designer is lurking about here somewhere, Bob is really good people.

Tayana 37: Used Boat Review - Features, Boat Reviews and Boat Tests - Boats.com
Read the review- that Tayana 37 looks perfect. I'll have to find one that I can see in person.

Old 07-15-2013
Advocate777

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
A Nor'Sea 27 is a bit smaller than the boats already mentioned, but otherwise it would easily meet you requirements. Being only 27' it would also be easier to manage short handed.
I like the Nor'Sea for sure- one would do the trick 'Cept they seem pretty scarce here on the east coast

Old 07-15-2013
Advocate777

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Cape Dory 30 or 31, Westsail 32, Baba 30, Island Packet 29 or 31, Bristol 32 to 35, Pearson 365, and probably a lot more.
You have a realistic budget and realistic expectations. It should not be hard to find a good boat you are going to be happy with.
Thanks- some of those boats are on my list. The Bristol especially I like but they would all it the bill. Thanks

Old 07-15-2013
Advocate777

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRu View Post
if you are
1.more of the intellectual brain power.
2.I have already been sailing on alot of boats
you should already know the boat or you are lying about either 1. or 2. or both.
I'm not smart enough to know what the hell you are saying but I'm sure you think you're clever. So...what exactly ARE you saying to me?

Old 07-15-2013
Advocate777

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkyle99 View Post
I've been looking with much the same criteria for nine months, until I'm getting cross eyed. The April 09 issue of practical Sailor has a comparison of "Affordable Cruising Sailboats over 35 feet and under $75k". These are not true blue water boats but still capable of serious coastal hopping I think. They are: Allied Princess 36, Bristol 35.5, C&C Landfall 38, Endeavour 37, Freedom 36, Niagara 35, O'Day 37, S2 11, and Tartan 37. There is a lot of the Allied, C&C and Endeavour listed for sale in the SE, the rest not so much but one or two usually. There are lots of other not so common boats on the market that I think would be just as suitable in theory. I'm at the point that I'll consider any boat that meets the general criteria and looks like it's priced right. Happy hunting
Thanks- that was a good article- I'm chartering an IP27 next week for 3 days so I'll post what I think of it- thanks

Old 07-15-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Your plans sound like a synopsis of this book:

An Embarrassment of Mangoes: A Caribbean Interlude:Amazon:Books An Embarrassment of Mangoes: A Caribbean Interlude:Amazon:Books

===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 07-15-2013
Advocate777

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
Why don't you do a filtered search on Yachtworld with the price, length, keel, region etc. parameters and see what comes up? There must be a thousand boats on the east coast that would serve your purpose. Narrow the list down and start visiting boats with someone who can help you discard the lemons. When you have a shortlist, come back here with the links to the boats on Yachtworld and ask specific questions. The good news is that you live in a country awash in great inexpensive used boats. You might want to be more specific in your criteria as well if you want to get better advice (for example, what is "smaller-ish" to you?). Enjoy the boat search- it's usually a lot of fun!
Thanks- will do