Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2013
Advocate777

Advocate777 is on a distinguished road
Re: Buying a Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
1.) I would specifically advise that you NOT "fall in love" with any boats while you are still shopping. Fall in love with your boat AFTER you buy it, not before. Too many bad purchase decisions have been made by people who fell in love with a boat before the deal was done.

4.) There are lots of boats available on the east coast of the USA, especially in Florida. If you can't find it here then you're being way, way too picky.

5.) "Blue water" means different things to different people. And it is really all about your seamanship, not the boat. The Atlantic has been crossed a number of times by people in open boats less than 20' in length. I doubt, however, that any of them had an especially comfortable journey. Being realistic about what you intend to do, and what level of comfort you expect, is the first step to take to avoid spending a lot of money on a boat that does not fit your needs.

10.) Whether or not you will puke your guts out has less to do with the boat than it does with you. People get seasick practically every week of the year on giant cruise ships. Looking for a boat with a comfortable motion at sea is a fine thing, but don't expect that doing so guarantees that you won't get sick.

8, 9, and 11.) If you only have a total of $70k for purchase and repairs, and you can't do much work yourself, then you are going to be very limited. You are going to have to find an older boat, and a smaller boat, but one that has been reasonably well cared for. Then, if you don't do the work yourself, you are at least going to have to be very good at finding people who do good work for a fair price, and you are going to have to be very good at scrounging used parts and pieces that will serve your needs. Oh, and you might as well accept that the boat is going to look like crap--you can't afford to spend money on anything cosmetic.

You've set yourself some pretty restrictive criteria. Best of luck in finding something that will serve your needs.

Thanks- that great feedback and I appreciate it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans
Re: Buying a Cruiser---- I finally know what I need- please advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
Your plans sound like a synopsis of this book:

An Embarrassment of Mangoes: A Caribbean Interlude:Amazon:Books
I like mangoes, and I like the Caribbean too, eating mangoes while sailing would be just about perfect right now.

That is one of the great things about cruising, getting to eat stuff from other places.
Old 07-15-2013
Advocate777

Advocate777 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
You could probably find just what you "need" by spending a week looking at boats in Annapolis, just Bert Jabins alone, but then I "don't" want to tell you what to do! LOL

There's a lot of boats that would fit your list, except maybe the full keel requirement (which I think many would tell you is not an indicator for "sea kindly" motion?).

You say you're weary, maybe your trying to hard to find it and not accepting some compromise?

I am sure more will chime in with some great suggestions, but YachtWorld and the like make it pretty easy these days I think. Have you considered working with a broker, perhaps they could help you "focus"?

Good luck!
Thanks T37chef- I guess you hit the nail on the head because I must not be accepting the compromise. I think it's because what I'm looking for, and in the condition I am looking for it to be in, may be more in the 100k range.
But I'm hoping to find a good compromise- I guess I need to figure out what the priorities are and not expect to find a boat in a 40-50k price range that has everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-15-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkyle99 View Post
These are not true blue water boats but still capable of serious coastal hopping I think. They are: Allied Princess 36, Bristol 35.5, C&C Landfall 38, Endeavour 37, Freedom 36, Niagara 35, O'Day 37, S2 11, and Tartan 37.
Quite a few Tartan 37s have circumnavigated.
T37Chef likes this.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

Old 07-15-2013

jimkyle99 is on a distinguished road

I don't disagree with you. I guess when I think of a blue-water boat I think of something 50 feet long and built like a bathyscaph.
Old 07-15-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I like mangoes, and I like the Caribbean too, eating mangoes while sailing would be just about perfect right now.
---or anytime.

Quote:
That is one of the great things about cruising, getting to eat stuff from other places.
The book has recipes from the places they stopped, with substitutions if you don't have
access to a Caribbean market. It's a fun read, with some 'gotchas' to watch out for down island.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you don’t."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 07-16-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advocate777 View Post
I like the Nor'Sea for sure- one would do the trick 'Cept they seem pretty scarce here on the east coast
Good boats. I like the Nor'sea

I only know of this listing available at the moment. This ad used to have pictures but doesn't seem to be included this time.
1976 Nor'Sea Sailboat

Quote:
“When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.” — Dr. Samuel Johnson
Old 07-16-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I think the biggest problem is that your current use the Chesie, is not really conductive to full keel boats as there is the preponderance of light winds. Your description of use is really coastal with a few longer hops, so why put up with the performance hit of a full keel cruising boat in 99.9% of the time in case in the future you might want to go through the canal and across the Pacific? Why not get something that suits you needs now and in the foreseeable future, does not have to be your for ever boat. Just choose something that will sell reasonably quickly (fairly popular model) and you will not likely loose money as these older boats are all pretty much depreciated as much as they can.

Then if 10 years down the line you want a heavy cruiser you can trade to it. I can't see buying something in case you might want to do it 10 years down the line. In the meantime you can create a list of what you really want.

Certainly what you describe doing has been done by thousands of Hunter/Catalina/Beneteau/Cal/Ericson/et all in the past. You are not talking long off shore passages but island hopping for the most part. Heck we have Arron here on the site that does regular hops from Florida to Central America in a sub 30 foot Columbia (if memory serves me right) with no motor.
T37Chef likes this.
Old 07-22-2013

peterconway is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
You say you want a blue water capable boat. Are you planning on crossing oceans or are you planning on island hopping around the Carribbean?
I ask because I'm not sure I would trust a $50k boat to cross oceans with, but there are any number of $50k coastal cruisers that would be fine for island hopping when you are rarely more than 100 miles from land.
Funny to think that worry would set in at the 99 mile mark. I'm most scared from the slip to the last channel marker.
Old 07-23-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post

mango madness in the islands.......
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a Cruiser-p8170003.jpg  

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.