SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Buying a Cruiser

9K views 45 replies 26 participants last post by  randyrhines 
#1 ·
Buying a Cruiser---- I finally know what I need- please advise

Based on all of your accumulative knowledge; I have the following criteria so I welcome feedback especially since this thread is about the 'best' boats:

1.) Don't tell me to 'keep looking and when you fall in love with a boat you will know. Unfortunately there are too many boats to 'date' while waiting to 'fall in love'
2.) Don't tell me to 'sail every boat you can to learn what you really want' because I have already been sailing on alot of boats and I have certain restrictive parameters.
3.) Don't tell me to 'buy a dinghy now and learn how to sail best and then buy a bigger boat' because I already know how to sail and I am an old man and may die soon. I can buy 'one boat' for my life, at my age.
4.) I need to find a boat that can be found on the east coast of the USA. I cannot afford to travel to Mexico, the BVI's, Asia, or Panama to find a 'great deal'.
5.) I need a boat that is 'blue water capable or blue water modifiable'. I am not interested in a day sailor no matter how fast it sails or how neat it is.
6.) I need a smaller-ish sailboat that can be single-handed or 'mom and pop' crewed by a 55 year old skipper and a 45 year old first mate.
7.) I need a used sailboat for about 50K.
8.) I need that 50K sailboat to have a good diesel engine as part of the 50K.
9.) I can put about 20K more into the boat to prepare it over a 3-5 year period.
10.) The boat should be mid to heavy displacement and with a full keel with a seakindly motion that does not cause us to puke our guts out in a seaway or 24-hour passage.
11.) Although I can learn 'diesel mechanics', I am not a talented 'Do it yourself- lets build a new bulkhead' kind of guy. I am not great at manual mechanic skills- I am more of the intellectual brain power doctor/lawyer type skills; ie., no 'do it youself' ability whatsoever.........but not such a rich lawyer or doctor that I can pay someone else to do everything. In other words; I cannot do a 'fix-me-up' boat because I suck at changing a light bulb (although if you have been arrested or in need of an appendectomy our crew can save you- ha-ha..)
Based on the above criterion.....does anybody have a 'top 10 blue water sailboats readily accessible for review on America's east coast that do not require major deck work or tens of thousands of dollars in refit costs for blue water work for a crew of 2?)

Is that asking too much?
Help me to focus.....I am getting weary of my sailboat search...
HELP! Any ideas on what boats to focus in on?
(And dont tell me to buy what my heart falls in love with...

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Buying a Cruiser---- I finally know what I need- please advise

Cape Dory 30 or 31, Westsail 32, Baba 30, Island Packet 29 or 31, Bristol 32 to 35, Pearson 365, and probably a lot more.
You have a realistic budget and realistic expectations. It should not be hard to find a good boat you are going to be happy with.

#26 ·

Cape Dory 30 or 31, Westsail 32, Baba 30, Island Packet 29 or 31, Bristol 32 to 35, Pearson 365, and probably a lot more.
You have a realistic budget and realistic expectations. It should not be hard to find a good boat you are going to be happy with.
Thanks- some of those boats are on my list. The Bristol especially I like but they would all it the bill. Thanks

#3 ·
You say you want a blue water capable boat. Are you planning on crossing oceans or are you planning on island hopping around the Carribbean?
I ask because I'm not sure I would trust a $50k boat to cross oceans with, but there are any number of $50k coastal cruisers that would be fine for island hopping when you are rarely more than 100 miles from land.

#4 ·

Might be an Alberg 30 for sale near me. It has a brand new Yanmar in it, 3GM I think. It is nothing fancy but you could have a lot of extra money to make it how you like. PM if interested, I will inquire. It is not listed that I know of.

It is a proven design, one just finished a circumnavigation recently but I'm sure there have been others.

#7 ·
I've been looking with much the same criteria for nine months, until I'm getting cross eyed. The April 09 issue of practical Sailor has a comparison of "Affordable Cruising Sailboats over 35 feet and under $75k". These are not true blue water boats but still capable of serious coastal hopping I think. They are: Allied Princess 36, Bristol 35.5, C&C Landfall 38, Endeavour 37, Freedom 36, Niagara 35, O'Day 37, S2 11, and Tartan 37. There is a lot of the Allied, C&C and Endeavour listed for sale in the SE, the rest not so much but one or two usually. There are lots of other not so common boats on the market that I think would be just as suitable in theory. I'm at the point that I'll consider any boat that meets the general criteria and looks like it's priced right. Happy hunting

#8 ·
#9 ·

There is a nice Endeavour 37 ketch forsale here in Annapolis for 25k and if its anything like my Endeavour 32 with just more room I think it would fit your needs. And If you want to go with the 32 foot range I will sell you my 32 so I can buy the 37. my boat is in great shape, most systems new and Its been the perfect liveaboard boat. I really don't need a bigger boat, i just have a thing for ketch rigs.

Reactions: kegggggggg
#10 ·

A Nor'Sea 27 is a bit smaller than the boats already mentioned, but otherwise it would easily meet you requirements. Being only 27' it would also be easier to manage short handed.

#25 ·

A Nor'Sea 27 is a bit smaller than the boats already mentioned, but otherwise it would easily meet you requirements. Being only 27' it would also be easier to manage short handed.
I like the Nor'Sea for sure- one would do the trick 'Cept they seem pretty scarce here on the east coast

#11 ·

Perhaps you've discussed it in another thread, but, what are your realistic plans, once you have a boat? A good passage-maker is not necessarily a good coastal cruiser (and vice-a-versa), so knowing what you'll actually do (as best you can) is an important part of the equation.

#12 ·

I agree with John that your planned use really matters in your choice.

Don't sell yourself short on your ability to learn how to fix things on your boat. It takes time but is a critical way to save money. Also if you cruise to remote places there may be no one else available.

Reactions: jameswilson29
#13 ·

Have you had a look at the Tayana 37? I think you might like it, if you can find one that fits in your budget plan, and you should be able to the way things are in the market right now. Seem to be very solid boats and not too tough to sail either, handle rough weather well and they appear to be well built.

The designer is lurking about here somewhere, Bob is really good people.

Tayana 37: Used Boat Review - Features, Boat Reviews and Boat Tests - Boats.com

#24 ·

Have you had a look at the Tayana 37? I think you might like it, if you can find one that fits in your budget plan, and you should be able to the way things are in the market right now. Seem to be very solid boats and not too tough to sail either, handle rough weather well and they appear to be well built.

The designer is lurking about here somewhere, Bob is really good people.

Tayana 37: Used Boat Review - Features, Boat Reviews and Boat Tests - Boats.com
Read the review- that Tayana 37 looks perfect. I'll have to find one that I can see in person.

#14 ·
Why don't you do a filtered search on Yachtworld with the price, length, keel, region etc. parameters and see what comes up? There must be a thousand boats on the east coast that would serve your purpose. Narrow the list down and start visiting boats with someone who can help you discard the lemons. When you have a shortlist, come back here with the links to the boats on Yachtworld and ask specific questions. The good news is that you live in a country awash in great inexpensive used boats. You might want to be more specific in your criteria as well if you want to get better advice (for example, what is "smaller-ish" to you?). Enjoy the boat search- it's usually a lot of fun!

#15 ·
1.) I would specifically advise that you NOT "fall in love" with any boats while you are still shopping. Fall in love with your boat AFTER you buy it, not before. Too many bad purchase decisions have been made by people who fell in love with a boat before the deal was done.

4.) There are lots of boats available on the east coast of the USA, especially in Florida. If you can't find it here then you're being way, way too picky.

5.) "Blue water" means different things to different people. And it is really all about your seamanship, not the boat. The Atlantic has been crossed a number of times by people in open boats less than 20' in length. I doubt, however, that any of them had an especially comfortable journey. Being realistic about what you intend to do, and what level of comfort you expect, is the first step to take to avoid spending a lot of money on a boat that does not fit your needs.

10.) Whether or not you will puke your guts out has less to do with the boat than it does with you. People get seasick practically every week of the year on giant cruise ships. Looking for a boat with a comfortable motion at sea is a fine thing, but don't expect that doing so guarantees that you won't get sick.

8, 9, and 11.) If you only have a total of $70k for purchase and repairs, and you can't do much work yourself, then you are going to be very limited. You are going to have to find an older boat, and a smaller boat, but one that has been reasonably well cared for. Then, if you don't do the work yourself, you are at least going to have to be very good at finding people who do good work for a fair price, and you are going to have to be very good at scrounging used parts and pieces that will serve your needs. Oh, and you might as well accept that the boat is going to look like crap--you can't afford to spend money on anything cosmetic.

You've set yourself some pretty restrictive criteria. Best of luck in finding something that will serve your needs.

#17 ·
I think it just means that they circumnavigated. At the boat shows Catalina has a display board of where in the world the various Catalinas have sailed. A lot of them have crossed many oceans. At least two that I remember did a circumnavigation. I still don't consider Catalinas "blue water" boats.

#20 ·
As I said in your other similar thread, knowing what you'll actually do with the boat should be part of your equation.

#21 ·
You could probably find just what you "need" by spending a week looking at boats in Annapolis, just Bert Jabins alone, but then I "don't" want to tell you what to do! LOL

There's a lot of boats that would fit your list, except maybe the full keel requirement (which I think many would tell you is not an indicator for "sea kindly" motion?).

You say you're weary, maybe your trying to hard to find it and not accepting some compromise?

I am sure more will chime in with some great suggestions, but YachtWorld and the like make it pretty easy these days I think. Have you considered working with a broker, perhaps they could help you "focus"?

Good luck!

#33 ·
You could probably find just what you "need" by spending a week looking at boats in Annapolis, just Bert Jabins alone, but then I "don't" want to tell you what to do! LOL

There's a lot of boats that would fit your list, except maybe the full keel requirement (which I think many would tell you is not an indicator for "sea kindly" motion?).

You say you're weary, maybe your trying to hard to find it and not accepting some compromise?

I am sure more will chime in with some great suggestions, but YachtWorld and the like make it pretty easy these days I think. Have you considered working with a broker, perhaps they could help you "focus"?

Good luck!
Thanks T37chef- I guess you hit the nail on the head because I must not be accepting the compromise. I think it's because what I'm looking for, and in the condition I am looking for it to be in, may be more in the 100k range.
But I'm hoping to find a good compromise- I guess I need to figure out what the priorities are and not expect to find a boat in a 40-50k price range that has everything.

#22 ·
I would worry a lot less about brand than your other requirements. Just look at all full-keel boats on the east coast in your price range on yacht world. Toss out any that do not meet your other requirements. Then of those boats look for ones that have a recent re-power. This should give you a pretty short list of boats to go look at. Often the best deals are in the boats no one has ever heard of.

#23 ·

Thank you for your replies--- it really helps to get feedback-- I am going to make a list of the boats mentioned and go check them out. I am chartering an IP27 next week or 3 days out if rock hall maryland with my two sons.
I am also going to pm several of you regarding specific boats you mentioned-
One of you asked what I will use the boat for once I have it.
This is my plan: keep it on the eastern shore of the chesapeake and prepare it and explore and work on my Nav skills and learning the boat real good.
Then I want to take it out of the bay and into the ocean in moderate conditions to be exposed to some larger waves than the usual chop in the bay. I will then take it down the intracoastal and then offshore parallel south off Florida coast. It will be kept at a marina in central east florida- and taken to Biscayne bay and the keys- I plan to cross the Gulf Stream in her and explore the Bahamas and back. I will also want to keep going to make the longer passage from the Caicos to the Dominican Republic and on to cross the Moa Passage to the Carribean.
If I can accomplish that and my confidence and experience grows--- Cuba to the Yucatan to explore and then south to belize and panama.
Although I may never transit the Canal and into the Pacfic for a circumnavigation- maybe I will and either way I want a boat that could do it if I want it to.

#29 ·

Your plans sound like a synopsis of this book:

#32 ·
#36 ·

I like mangoes, and I like the Caribbean too, eating mangoes while sailing would be just about perfect right now.
---or anytime.

That is one of the great things about cruising, getting to eat stuff from other places.
The book has recipes from the places they stopped, with substitutions if you don't have
access to a Caribbean market. It's a fun read, with some 'gotchas' to watch out for down island.

#38 ·
I think the biggest problem is that your current use the Chesie, is not really conductive to full keel boats as there is the preponderance of light winds. Your description of use is really coastal with a few longer hops, so why put up with the performance hit of a full keel cruising boat in 99.9% of the time in case in the future you might want to go through the canal and across the Pacific? Why not get something that suits you needs now and in the foreseeable future, does not have to be your for ever boat. Just choose something that will sell reasonably quickly (fairly popular model) and you will not likely loose money as these older boats are all pretty much depreciated as much as they can.

Then if 10 years down the line you want a heavy cruiser you can trade to it. I can't see buying something in case you might want to do it 10 years down the line. In the meantime you can create a list of what you really want.

Certainly what you describe doing has been done by thousands of Hunter/Catalina/Beneteau/Cal/Ericson/et all in the past. You are not talking long off shore passages but island hopping for the most part. Heck we have Arron here on the site that does regular hops from Florida to Central America in a sub 30 foot Columbia (if memory serves me right) with no motor.

#43 ·

Based on all of your accumulative knowledge; I have the following criteria so I welcome feedback especially since this thread is about the 'best' boats:

1.) Don't tell me to 'keep looking and when you fall in love with a boat you will know. Unfortunately there are too many boats to 'date' while waiting to 'fall in love'
2.) Don't tell me to 'sail every boat you can to learn what you really want' because I have already been sailing on alot of boats and I have certain restrictive parameters.
3.) Don't tell me to 'buy a dinghy now and learn how to sail best and then buy a bigger boat' because I already know how to sail and I am an old man and may die soon. I can buy 'one boat' for my life, at my age.
4.) I need to find a boat that can be found on the east coast of the USA. I cannot afford to travel to Mexico, the BVI's, Asia, or Panama to find a 'great deal'.
5.) I need a boat that is 'blue water capable or blue water modifiable'. I am not interested in a day sailor no matter how fast it sails or how neat it is.
6.) I need a smaller-ish sailboat that can be single-handed or 'mom and pop' crewed by a 55 year old skipper and a 45 year old first mate.
7.) I need a used sailboat for about 50K.
8.) I need that 50K sailboat to have a good diesel engine as part of the 50K.
9.) I can put about 20K more into the boat to prepare it over a 3-5 year period.
10.) The boat should be mid to heavy displacement and with a full keel with a seakindly motion that does not cause us to puke our guts out in a seaway or 24-hour passage.
11.) Although I can learn 'diesel mechanics', I am not a talented 'Do it yourself- lets build a new bulkhead' kind of guy. I am not great at manual mechanic skills- I am more of the intellectual brain power doctor/lawyer type skills; ie., no 'do it youself' ability whatsoever.........but not such a rich lawyer or doctor that I can pay someone else to do everything. In other words; I cannot do a 'fix-me-up' boat because I suck at changing a light bulb (although if you have been arrested or in need of an appendectomy our crew can save you- ha-ha..)
Based on the above criterion.....does anybody have a 'top 10 blue water sailboats readily accessible for review on America's east coast that do not require major deck work or tens of thousands of dollars in refit costs for blue water work for a crew of 2?)

Is that asking too much?
Help me to focus.....I am getting weary of my sailboat search...
HELP! Any ideas on what boats to focus in on?
(And dont tell me to buy what my heart falls in love with...
Would you consider a 1982 Dufour 12000ct located in Florida?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.