Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013

CheckedOutRob is on a distinguished road
Are ALL Sellers LYING MORONIC DOUCHBAGS??

I've been looking for a year now for a cruising yacht 40-45 feet. My budget is $170. That money I thought would find me with a boat that needs some items fixed or one big item and a few small ones.

Am I not being realistic? Am I naive in thinking that money would get me an ocean worthy boat not at all bristol condition but mostly good to go with a few months of work?
So far I've walked a **** ton of boats and they are all just a wreck. Buyers are not representing themselves. I understand where a buyer wants to get you on the boat but I just get pissed off by them wasting my time. I find the items listed as new are either missing or many years old. And, does "teak in great condition" mean I'm supposed to ignore the miles of hardened peeled up caulking in-between all that teak????

My favorite new euphemism is "deferred maintenance". It is so glaringly obvious when someone has not done squat to their boat for at least the last five years. Not even hose it off. Sure your engine has less than 1,000 hours but you have not changed your oil in 4 years and the head pump-out pump has failed and those tanks are full and sitting there for years!!! I just ran across this today. Oh, and your transmission is completely devoid of any liquid product resembling lubricant!

I am in Seattle now this being my second trip here in one month flying up from Los Angeles area. What a waste of time and money.

Just looked at a 44' boat that was represented as "recent extensive refit". I paid for the haul and pressure wash ($475) and inspection ($800) plus engine survey ($275). ******* keel to hull join has delaminations, crack in rudder fin, and here's the best one of all THE HULL IS DISTORTED BECAUSE THE MAST HAS SHOVED THE BILGES DOWN AWAY FROM THE BULKHEAD. The radar and chart plotter are so old they are not worth dealing with. It has the wrong prop (18 instead of 16) and it can't make full rpm's and on and on.

And I'm not looking at silly boats (HunterBenLinas). My short list is Passport 40, Nordic 44, Passport 42/Slocum 43 and the likes and about any Perry boat worthy of crossing oceans.

LOOK. IF YOU ARE A SELLER DON'T FREEKING LYE TO MY FACE -I'M GONNA FIND THIS STUFF OUT ANYWAY. STOP BEING A DOUCHBAG.

Is it supposed to be this difficult? What am I doing wrong? Really dismayed with the whole process so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2013

Alive3and3Well is on a distinguished road
Re: Are ALL Sellers LYING MORONIC DOUCHBAGS??

Maybe it's time to find a "good" broker that will cull through the bad boats and present good boats to earn a fair commission.
Old 07-16-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I agree with Alive. Find someone whose time is worth less than yours and pay them to do the initial legwork for you. If that's a broker, then that's fine. It could also be a surveyor. The guy who surveyed my boat offered a "sanity check" survey option. For $100-$200 (depending on the size of the boat) he would spend an hour or so aboard, taking pictures and looking for the glaringly obvious stuff (like your mast/bilge issue). If you were happy with the results, he would credit half of the cost toward the full survey of the boat. You'll spend more than $100-200 just on the plane ticket.

Granted, it may not have helped you much in this case (can't really see a keel/hull delamination from in the water), but still worth considering.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimgo For This Useful Post:
robertluster (01-30-2014)
Old 07-16-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Find a broker. Many people ask for what they still owe on a boat, not for what it's worth.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 07-16-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

The problem(for buyers) is that the good boats go fast. It is a matter of timing that is hurting you. Set a tickler in YW to email you when one of your preferred boats first gets listed and be the first to go see it. You also want to check with the broker to make sure it is in fact new to YW instead of being re-listed by a new broker.

This is how we got our Ericson 35 for well below market value and sold it for well above market value.

Another good way to find a boat is to frequent the users forums of the boats you like.

This is how we found our current boat. I had actually started corresponding with the owner well before he decided to sell. We ended up buying the boat from them while they were actively cruising and on their way to SC to put it on the market.

Not all sellers are DBs. I have been a seller of many boats and always represented my boats accurately with honest descriptions including a list of items that need to be addresses and lots of high resolution detailed photos. Guess that is why I never used a broker to sell my boats.

The problem is when a new boat comes into the picture before the old boat gets sold, the old boat gets neglected. The other problem is that there are a lot of ignorant owners out there that think a boat will stay pristine while on the hard or not actively being used. A piece of equipment may be regarded as "new" because it was installed just before the boat went up for sale 3 years ago. Sure, it is in "new condition" but it is not current, especially for electronics.

Good luck and take a breather. We had actually stopped looking for a new boat when our Ericson appeared on YW.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 07-16-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

all brokers are not honest--i have found it is a rare one who is.
i surveyed last year a vagabond 47 in puerto vallarta for someone who was looking for one to cruise.
the BROKER had told me this boat is cruise ready, it has excellent..yada yada yada quack quack..... when i SAW the boat i saw a 150,000 asking price worthy of 40,000 purchase price---rotted teak, sanded away teak, frozen engine, genset frozen, no electronics, dry rot under the hatches which of course are not leaking, but totally watertight--NOT...
capper was the teak helm seat i lifted, and it cracked into two parts in my hand....wow...well maintained.....
puleeze do not tell me how bludi honest are brokers.....rodlmao.
i have to laugh on DECK as i havent a FLOOR

this is only one of many....

but i know a beautiful and cruise ready ct 54 in san diego at yachtfinder/windseekers for sale by broker now--the owner and his wife were cruising mexico, last thanksgiving he blew an aneurysm and died.... but the boat is gorgeous....i know her--she is a perry design and ab-fab....my friend doesnt want to sell, but she cannot handle boat by self, so is for sale. if i had the dough--i saw her electronix--she is packed with goodies and a ssb, everything. he cruised it for 26 yrs. if you are interested, ask for ron at yachtfinders and tell him his crazed lady friend from shelter island is in barra de navidad and sent you to him. he seems least dishonest of any broker i have met, including the one i chose to try to sell my ericson the day before the market tanked (different brokerage).

there are good boats out there, but do not trust a surveyor nor a broker n0r the owner for truth in advertising. there WILL be proms not found nor discussed in every boat , even brand new off the ass-embly line production ones...

oh yes, and as i am still a seller, yes, ALL sellers are liars... except me...rodlmao

ye speelt maroon wrongly
jimgo likes this.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Last edited by zeehag; 07-16-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-16-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Hope you have at typo going on, because if you think you are going to get a decent boat for $170...........LOL......or is that $170K? for that kind of money, you could get a brand new 30-34' boat!! depending upon what you are trying to do and go etc.

Marty
Old 07-16-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

The honest answer is that one mans Princess is another mans pig...

I have owners who think their boat is in top condition and nearly perfect and you'd have to pay me to take the boat off their hands. I also have owners who's boats are a perfect 10 and they are still never satisfied that it is good enough...
deniseO30, arf145, davidpm and 1 others like this.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 07-16-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

I heard a saying a long time ago, "Follow the money", and every time I do I get a good understanding of how the money is doing the motivating.

If you are a buyer, there are countless people looking to get a piece of the money you intend to spend. The broker wants to maximize his or her commission. The seller wants to make a killing selling his or her boat. It's predator vs. prey. In the wild, the prey that thrives is the one always on the lookout for predators.

We've begun our search locally. No real financial hit driving a couple of hours to look at a boat. Our first look-see was a total dud. Even the one the broker and dock walkers talked up was a disappointment. We had dinner and drinks afterwards by the water and all was good again.

We have another look-see on Thursday that will be a 4 hour round trip. We'll take in other things the area has to offer while there so it won't be a total waste of out time if the boat isn't right.

We're planning a trip out east. It will be a vacation, the chance to see friends and take in what the area has to offer. Along the way we plan to check out as many different types of boats as we can. Call it mind games, cuz the real reason we're heading out east is to see boats, but we're making it into a vacation. And we will enjoy the vacation, regardless of what the boats look like.

We have a seller's broker. He seems genuine. But he's on strict commission. Expecting anything other than him wanting a quick and top price sale would be kidding ourselves. In the end, if you aren't constantly looking out for yourself, you will get eaten.
davidpm and CheckedOutRob like this.
Old 07-16-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Rob your angry (rightfully so) for the cost of a survey you didn't need. Knowledge of the boat your going to see is a big help. I stayed a couple of days in the area (deal md) when I was checking out my boat. We spent hours on it. Then when I felt it was the boat I wanted I had the survey done.

My boat is for sale.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.