Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree143Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: What Is A Boat Really Worth?

Have then film that days newspaper at the start so you know it's a current video.

A tire kicker traveling 1000 miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2013
Hughes 38 Mark II

lgherb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
I recently went over 1000 miles round trip to look at a boat that was called "turnkey, ready for cruising" in the ad, and yet when I got there it was anything but, and when I confronted the owner with the obvious defects he called me a tire kicker, I wanted to kick him in the tires. I was soooo angry, but it is part of the process and I was also able to visit some friends. Next time I will have the seller take a video camera on board.
Maybe we should formulate a list of standard questions to ask any boat seller that could provide a potential scoring grade to eliminate boats you'll waste your time on.

I'm thinking of questions along the lines of:
  1. Which marinas in your area charge the lowest price per foot for hauling out and pressure washing?
  2. What is the current compression reading for each cylinder of your auxillary engine?
  3. Can you provide receipts for the last time you had your fuel polished?
  4. What is the manufacturer, model number, and serial number of the last piece of electronics that you upgraded?
  5. How many gallons of anti-fouling paint did you buy last time you had your boat hauled out, what brand of paint was it, and how much did you spend per gallon?
  6. Name 3 pieces of standing rigging you replaced in the last 5 years.

At the very least it might separate the owners who are actively involved in upkeep on their boats from the ones who are letting their boats die a slow, painful death.
Old 07-22-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

After looking at a boat that appeared lightly used, my SO said, "Lightly used, lightly maintained." I could see that easily being the case.

"If it ain't broke, don't even give it a thought."
Old 07-22-2013
Stowaway

juliekristine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
I recently went over 1000 miles round trip to look at a boat that was called "turnkey, ready for cruising" in the ad, and yet when I got there it was anything but, and when I confronted the owner with the obvious defects he called me a tire kicker, I wanted to kick him in the tires. I was soooo angry, but it is part of the process and I was also able to visit some friends. Next time I will have the seller take a video camera on board.
Sorry to hear about your journey of a 1000 miles. At least you got to visit a friend. Were it not for him or her, I would have appreciated having the video ahead of time. It would have told you to make the trip, or save the gas.

We'll be making quite a distant trip to see boats, but also visit friends. Throw in a little sight seeing and golf, and we're still okay if we come up short on a boat that meets our needs and daydreams.

What is making our trip more worthwhile is the fact that we'll be seeing about a dozen boats made by three different builders. Seeing 3 or 4 Sabres, all in the same size and era, gives us a real basis of comparison. It should also enhance our bargaining power, I believe.
Old 07-22-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgherb View Post
  1. Which marinas in your area charge the lowest price per foot for hauling out and pressure washing?
  2. What is the current compression reading for each cylinder of your auxillary engine?
  3. Can you provide receipts for the last time you had your fuel polished?
  4. What is the manufacturer, model number, and serial number of the last piece of electronics that you upgraded?
  5. How many gallons of anti-fouling paint did you buy last time you had your boat hauled out, what brand of paint was it, and how much did you spend per gallon?
  6. Name 3 pieces of standing rigging you replaced in the last 5 years.
I doubt if even well maintained boats have their compression checked unless thier is a reason to do so.

Fuel polishing is also probably not done unless their was a special reason.

The haul out prices may not matter to someone who is happy with their marina.

I would not put much stock in electronics as even after a 5 years it is dated.

Bottom paint is important of course.
I agree that standing rigging should be on a schedule but their are lots of people who disagree with that.

I like the idea of some specific questions that give you an idea of how the owner thought in reference to caring for the boat.

Maybe we can all help put together a list.

I ask about the maintenance list. What were the last three things you have done and what are the next few things you have in mind to do but didn't get to yet.

I ask about the last time the stuffing box was serviced and why.
Last time the cutlass bearing was serviced and why.
Last time the head was serviced and why.

There seems to be two basic styles:
1. Put everything on a service schedule and try to keep ahead of it.
2. Wait until it breaks.

I like to hear:
I had the stuffing box repacked because when I bought the boat the PO didn't know when it was serviced.
It wasn't leaking but it looked good and the shaft looked good when we had it apart and repacked it so I figure we are good for 5 years.

I don't like to hear:
Yea I noticed the stuffing box was leaking really bad but we tightened up on the nut and it all better now.
No I don't know what kind of packing it has.

Last edited by davidpm; 07-22-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-23-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I don't like to hear:
Yea I noticed the stuffing box was leaking really bad but we tightened up on the nut and it all better now.
No I don't know what kind of packing it has.
And the worst kind of answer to get is "Look, I don't have time to answer all these questions. Are you interested in the boat or not?"

NOT!

No offense intended to anyone who has done this, but if you don't get answers to your questions, but spend the time and money to go look at the boat anyway, that's on you.
Old 07-23-2013

sailpower is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgherb
Maybe we should formulate a list of standard questions to ask any boat seller that could provide a potential scoring grade to eliminate boats you'll waste your time on.

I'm thinking of questions along the lines of:
1. Which marinas in your area charge the lowest price per foot for hauling out and pressure washing? Owner says that he doesn’t know but does give you the rates for his marina. Do you reject on that basis?

2. What is the current compression reading for each cylinder of your auxiliary engine? Owner says that he has not had a compression check done. Do you reject on that basis?

3. Can you provide receipts for the last time you had your fuel polished? Owner says that his fuel has not been polished. Do you reject on that basis?

4. What is the manufacturer, model number, and serial number of the last piece of electronics that you upgraded? Owner answers the question but points out the the information for all electronics except for serial numbers is already contained in the listing. How helpful was that?

5. How many gallons of anti-fouling paint did you buy last time you had your boat hauled out, what brand of paint was it, and how much did you spend per gallon? Owner says that he has the yard do it and pays by the foot. He says that he will check with the yard but wants to know how that will affect your buying decision. Do you reject on that basis?

6. Name 3 pieces of standing rigging you replaced in the last 5 years. Owner says that, like most owners, he hasn’t replaced any rigging in the last five years. Do you reject on that basis?

Scenario 2:
Owners says that he will be happy to provide any and all information prior to you making the trip. He then asks if you are in a position to buy his boat if your inspection is satisfactory? Do you retreat quickly and reject on that basis?
lgherb, davidpm and jameswilson29 like this.

Last edited by sailpower; 07-23-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-23-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"What in the world took that much money?"
Smack, hand-knotted high density purple silk shag rugs are damned expensive. So are the really beautiful exotic granite countertops. Of course that won't affect the NADA value of the boat, but, really, you need to have some compassion for the poor folk, who can't afford to install these necessities.

Now, if I was selling a boat and got that long-winded questionnaire? I'd crumble it up and throw it out along with the RFPITA picky buyer's phone number. By all means, as if there is an engine or maintenance log. It is a rare day in hell but some owners keep them, and if they keep them, the odds are what you want is in there. If the owner doesn't keep one...right, they're going to look up all that stuff and not just lie about it? They're just gonna ball up the paper and toss it.

Last edited by hellosailor; 07-23-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-24-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

While you don't learn much about the value of boats on YW or SL, you can get an idea about how serious the seller is. If the boat has been on the market a couple of years and there's no mention of a price reduction, odds are the seller is just waiting for that special buyer who is willing to pay asking price. Those sellers are often listing at the high end of asking prices.
Old 07-24-2013

nolesailor is on a distinguished road

And that buyer may very well come along...not everyone approaches boat buying with spreadsheets, lenders, etc. For some it is a purely emotional purchase (myself included)...and I would be willing to pay list if that was the boat I wanted. But then again, my boat purchasing would be limited to boats that I can afford at list (or slightly less). From this thread it seems you have a fair amount of animosity towards sellers who in your opinion are over-pricing their boats (I believe you may have went so far as to say they are even wasting the buyer's time)...if it is too much for you...move on...
kd3pc likes this.