Originally Posted by lgherb
- Which marinas in your area charge the lowest price per foot for hauling out and pressure washing?
- What is the current compression reading for each cylinder of your auxillary engine?
- Can you provide receipts for the last time you had your fuel polished?
- What is the manufacturer, model number, and serial number of the last piece of electronics that you upgraded?
- How many gallons of anti-fouling paint did you buy last time you had your boat hauled out, what brand of paint was it, and how much did you spend per gallon?
- Name 3 pieces of standing rigging you replaced in the last 5 years.
I doubt if even well maintained boats have their compression checked unless thier is a reason to do so.
Fuel polishing is also probably not done unless their was a special reason.
The haul out prices may not matter to someone who is happy with their marina.
I would not put much stock in electronics as even after a 5 years it is dated.
Bottom paint is important of course.
I agree that standing rigging should be on a schedule but their are lots of people who disagree with that.
I like the idea of some specific questions that give you an idea of how the owner thought in reference to caring for the boat.
Maybe we can all help put together a list.
I ask about the maintenance list. What were the last three things you have done and what are the next few things you have in mind to do but didn't get to yet.
I ask about the last time the stuffing box was serviced and why.
Last time the cutlass bearing was serviced and why.
Last time the head was serviced and why.
There seems to be two basic styles:
1. Put everything on a service schedule and try to keep ahead of it.
2. Wait until it breaks.
I like to hear:
I had the stuffing box repacked because when I bought the boat the PO didn't know when it was serviced.
It wasn't leaking but it looked good and the shaft looked good when we had it apart and repacked it so I figure we are good for 5 years.
I don't like to hear:
Yea I noticed the stuffing box was leaking really bad but we tightened up on the nut and it all better now.
No I don't know what kind of packing it has.