Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree143Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: What Is A Boat Really Worth?

You can pay anything you want for a boat. I said that from the start. But if there's comparable boats for considerably less and you want to buy the more expensive boat... you know what P.T. Barnum said.

If a seller has listed considerably higher than the pack, is waiting for that special buyer and has no intentions to negotiate, he or she should say so in the listing. If not, the seller IS wasting the buyer's time because the vast majority of boats do not sell for asking and (almost) everyone knows that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolesailor View Post
...not everyone approaches boat buying with spreadsheets, lenders, etc.
Boy, that spreadsheet thing really sticks in the craw of some people, doesn't it?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

The spreadsheet itself isn't a bad idea.
The questions are:

Is criteria listed in the spreadsheet realistic?
Is the size of the spreadsheet realistic (too many items to realisticly comply with)?
Are you willing to compromise on any items in the spreadsheet, or is it an "all or none" proposition?

I've met women with "checklists" for men. These women had long, unrealistic sets of criteria that they were absolutely uncompromising on. If the man didn't satisfy every criteria on that list, he wasn't a viable mate...or even a date.

These same women bemoan the lack of suitable men on the market...or boats. Take your pic.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 07-24-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

I view boat buying the way i view every major purchase. Information is the key. First to nail it down to the exact brand. Then learning the market, how it works and how things are priced. Even financing, learning the process - how interest rate collars are set for example.

An informed customer is a seller's best customer. The deal won't go south based on misperception. An informed customer knows a good deal when they find one. Knows the product and knows the process. They also know a fair deal when they are offered one. It is the uninformed that gum up the works.
davidpm and JulieMor like this.
Old 07-24-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

As for those who set unrealistic prices - the market deals with them. Noone buys their boat.

Other not so smart ways to kill the marketing of your boat, include a hard nosed comment like Price firm! or, as one recent ad read, "i have no tolerence for low ballers or tire kickers!" gee, i wonder how many call he's getting?

The idea of marketing any product for sale is to get customer flow to your ad/site. location, product or item for sale. The last thing you want to do is say anything that will put people off. Usually, when such stand offish comments are made it indicates to me that the person is uncomfortable with the sales process, doesn't understand how it works, and is going to be difficult to negotiate with.

Last edited by TJC45; 07-24-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-24-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Actually PT Barnum wrote a good deal about how to get the most from the rubes. Some of it available in the free electronic libraries.

And he made a point to get their money up front, before they ever saw the show. If Barnum was a yacht broker, you might feel scr*wd but you would be smiling when you walked away. And ready to come back next year to the same guy, for another boat.

Oddly enough, good business advice.
TJC45 likes this.
Old 07-24-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Boy, that spreadsheet thing really sticks in the craw of some people, doesn't it?
For a lot of people emotional, spur-of-the-moment purchases are an ego stroke. It makes them feel better about themselves. It annoys them when others take a more calculated approach.

(You keep your spreadsheet and I'll keep mine. )
JulieMor likes this.
Old 07-24-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

d0n, one of the many business sales programs over the years was called "TA" Transactional Analysis. To oversimplify, they break down all transactions (sales) into one of three mindsets for each party: Adult, Parent, Child. Two adults would have no problem with a spreadsheet and a rational discussion about a fair price but that leaves 2/3 of all transactions having at least one "parent" or "child" in them, and that's going to mean emotions and tantrums and rationality being only an impediment to the sale. So...

When in doubt, don't waste time negotiating. Take hostages, tie 'em up on the railroad tracks. That way everyone knows how the movie is going to end, because the cavalry don't come round any more.

And no, TA doesn't teach that. (G)
Old 07-24-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
The idea of marketing any product for sale is to get customer flow to your ad/site. location, product or item for sale. The last thing you want to do is say anything that will put people off. Usually, when such stand offish comments are made it indicates to me that the person is uncomfortable with the sales process, doesn't understand how it works, and is going to be difficult to negotiate with.
Just as there are buyers who aren't serious (haven't really looked at all that's involved in owning a boat) there are also are sellers who aren't serious ("I'm just curious what my boat will fetch on the market" or "Anything I own is for sale, for the right price.")

It can be hard for either party to identify that in the other party. Sometimes you have to let the chips fall where they may. For the potential buyer this process can become very costly. The brokers incur their own costs too. The seller can sit back and wait out the whole process until the right offer comes along.

That's why I think it's fair to ask the seller to be as upfront as possible but I certainly understand avoiding anything that will mark the seller as having unrealistic expectations, if in fact they don't.
Old 07-24-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Why is it such a shock that an owner would place a higher value on his boat than a potential buyer? The average of all negotiations will ultimately determine the “market value”, not some listing or book. Financial institutions do not determine market value. They do a risk analysis and the security needs to be low enough that they can recover all their costs in a repro/sale. Also, use the “blue book” and “comps” as a guide, not a bible. Unlike autos, there is way too much variation (condition/features) in a given boat model and numbers sold are not statistically significant. Besides, why would an owner low ball his asking price knowing full well that there may be a reduction resulting from a negotiation? I have never heard of a boat owner who has placed an advertisement but did not (seriously) want to sell. They do what I do, look at the listings and compare those boats to theirs. They talk to brokers just like you.

You have kicked a lot of tires out there, you are trending the asking prices as well as the settling prices. You have your spreadsheet. You know the market as well as anyone. Find a boat you like and put an offer on it for what it is worth to you and negotiate from there. You are getting a little hung up on your own “ego”. You want the perfect boat and at a below market price so you can feel good about besting someone. If you see a price that you think is way above “market value” and you don’t want to make an offer – wait the guy out an make another offer on the boat a year later. I do not know why a seller wouldn’t be “upfront” with you? Are you really want him to begin negotiating with you before you have even seen the boat? How does he know that you are serious? You could be just exercising him to give yourself leverage on another negotiation.
Old 07-24-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

When are you coming to ct.