Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree143Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: What Is A Boat Really Worth?

david, i don't think there is a "standard" contract, certainly not for private sales. Standard from broker's organizations, sure, but that's not this.

And your response to sell "as is where is" could get you in trouble in a number of US venues, where that's illegal for any type of motor vehicle sale. Ah, yes, there are warranty laws (or merchantability, of suitability for use, etc.) that crop up in all sorts of pesky places. Not to mention, federal versus state laws.

And with 61 venues (50 states plus the 11 insular possessions, and maybe DC makes 52) when someone says "show me a statute" I have to ask, what color paper would you like to see it on? Sixty one or two venues, sixty three if you count federal overrides....There's plenty of rules to go around.

And you know, if I believe half of what I read in the papers? They're passing more of them every year, because would you believe, there are people out there who keep getting arrested for ignoring all those rules? Tsk, what has the world come to?! Businessmen ignoring laws! Oh my goodness, so shocking. So so shocking.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Can't blame a girl for getting educated.
Yet a lot of people here seem to want to.
Old 08-05-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
1.6 The Broker in his/her advertising will be especially careful to present a true picture of the vessel and/or its condition and will not advertise without disclosing his/her name, nor permit his/her sales people to use the individual's name or telephone numbers, unless the sales person's connection with the Broker is obvious in the advertisement.
You mean the photos that I constantly see that were obviously taken back in 1979 of the boats listed on various sales sites are not really how a broker should represent a vessel?

That seems to be something some of them have not been good at doing. I want to see photos of the boat that show its current condition, not how it looked back when the original owner still had hair. I want to see something that helps me understand how the boat looks now. Oh, and once again, sellers please clean up your boat, make it look like you were actually trying to impress someone you like, not like you are selling the boat because you are disgusted with it and too exhausted from trying to keep it from sinking to clean it up before you take the photos.
TJC45 likes this.
Old 08-05-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I just found a stanchion had loosened and was leaking pretty badly last weekend. I pulled it out, cleaned out all the cruddy goop that the OEM used to bed it and re-bed it properly.

Would anyone expect me to inform a buyer that this had happened? No core damage.

I'm just thinking that yesterday's survey is meaningless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-05-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I just found a stanchion had loosened and was leaking pretty badly last weekend. I pulled it out, cleaned out all the cruddy goop that the OEM used to bed it and re-bed it properly.

Would anyone expect me to inform a buyer that this had happened? No core damage.

Totally agree.
Also you "think" their is no core damage. But what is damage, is is wet, if wet how wet and how far.
No one knows.

Every seller has to make a judgement call as to what is relevant and needs to be disclosed and what is not relevant.

Every seller will draw the line someplace else.
Old 08-05-2013

mstern is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

Really? Totally meaningless? So if you knew that there was a survey done last year on a boat you were thinking of buying, you wouldn't want to even see it? I wouldn't rely on an old survey to make a purchase; I mean you don't know the provence or potential bias of whoever wrote it, and all sorts of things can happen in a year. But you wouldn't even want to see it? At all? No interest whatsoever?

I disagree. I would definitely want to see it. I would use it as one more tool in my evaluation of the boat. I would compare the old survey to my survey to see if conditions had changed, and if repairs had been made due to the earlier survey. When I bought my boat, my surveyor interviewed the owner and used that information in preparing the final document. I would want to see if the story the owner was telling had changed from last year to this year. Maybe the owner told the first surveyor about rebedding the stanchions, but that story "slipped his mind" this time around.

I can think of many more uses for an older survey, but I don't want to beat a dead horse. I think that any survey will have information that may be useful in your evaluation.
Old 08-17-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Julie,

So how is the boat search comming.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-17-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

I had the pleasure of looking at a couple boats with Julie last weekend. I can assure you guys that whatever boat Julie gets will be the the best for the money. She is methodical, observant and has made herself very knowledgeable.

I know we all worry about new people but Julie can take care of herself.

That is unless she falls in love with a boat and turns off her brain and buys the boat she loves. Which I suspect is what happens eventually to all of us.
Old 08-17-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Sailing Texas seems to have prices boats sold for too.
Old 08-18-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Julie,

So how is the boat search comming.

Dave
Been having problems logging in...

To answer your question Dave, we sure have learned a lot but we won't be going home with a boat. It's more the two person decision making process than the boats. One boat I seriously considered making an offer, we had to pass on so my SO could get a better idea of the other boats. A couple days after we saw it, it was listed as "Sale Pending." But I'm okay with that. As we looked at more boats we both agreed Tartan deserved a closer look. I had never been on a Tartan before this trip.

Our first boat was a Sabre 38 that was advertised as "turnkey" and in "perfect condition." Once we actually saw it, "storm damaged" and "neglected" described it better. The broker seemed unfazed about the discrepancy in advertising.

The majority of brokers were good though, and when asked the hard questions didn't try to skirt the obvious answer in an attempt to sell us on the boat.

We dealt directly with two owners and both were very upfront and honest about their boats. One even went so far as to take us on his inflatable and show us each and every scratch on the hull. Had he not pointed them out, I would have never seen them. The brokers pretty much let us find the flaws and address the ones we felt might be an issue.

The East coast is like a boat mall. That's what drew us here. That, and the fact we have a good friend in CT we haven't seen in a couple of years. We're heading home tomorrow. No regrets.