Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree143Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: What Is A Boat Really Worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Are you implying that I disregarded advice given to me on this forum, and then showed up later, claiming the same knowledge as if it were brand-new?
Just giving you a hard time dude.

As for disregarding advice - hell yes you did! Remember that winter sail that was surely going to kill you?

Granted, you didn't come back dead and start advising others to avoid the cold. So you got me there.

I am totally with you on the planning versus doing thing though. Sailing is ALWAYS better than planning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Just giving you a hard time dude.

As for disregarding advice - hell yes you did! Remember that winter sail that was surely going to kill you?

Granted, you didn't come back dead and start advising others to avoid the cold. So you got me there.

I am totally with you on the planning versus doing thing though. Sailing is ALWAYS better than planning.

I respect you. Tease away, my friend.
But yeah, I don't sail in the winter and then tell other people not to do it, like it's magical, new advice.

Speaking of sailing, what's it like being "Master and Commander" on your monster Hunter? From the photos, the deck just stretches on and on, from the wheel!
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 07-18-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I respect you. Tease away, my friend.
But yeah, I don't sail in the winter and then tell other people not to do it, like it's magical, new advice.

Speaking of sailing, what's it like being "Master and Commander" on your monster Hunter? From the photos, the deck just stretches on and on, from the wheel!
Actually, it's still scary as hell. But I'm getting more used to it. I really does make me (and the boys) feel SO good being on that boat. It's so big and nice - we just can't believe it.

I plan to do a series of write-ups on BFS that will go through the every step of the process. I paid cash for her. I think this was a good way to go for us - though it was seriously sobering wiring that wad.
jimgo likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-18-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Actually, it's still scary as hell. But I'm getting more used to it. I really does make me (and the boys) feel SO good being on that boat. It's so big and nice - we just can't believe it.

I plan to do a series of write-ups on BFS that will go through the every step of the process. I paid cash for her. I think this was a good way to go for us - though it was seriously sobering wiring that wad.
That's a helluva lot of boat for $42k. Great find!
smackdaddy and TJC45 like this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 07-19-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm just saying that she's been offered 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinions here, ignored all of it, and now it's gospel because she's spent a weekend with brokers and surveyors.
See? There you go again. Putting words into my mouth. I really, really tried to explain to you I didn't ignore anyone's advice here. I really did Bubble. But, like so many replies I've seen you make, it seems you read something in part, process that through your Bubble mind and then write whatever fits you.

I took all the advice given here into account. In fact I have a Word file into which I've copied and pasted a lot of it and I have referred to it often. I value every bit of it. If that's "ignoring" to you, then please let me know so I can stop thinking that one day we could actually communicate on an adult level.

On another note (and putting the thread back on track): We looked at a 1989 E38-200 yesterday. This particular boat was priced by the owner. He priced it at the high end of E38s on Yachtworld. Apparently, the owner didn't take into consideration that his boat had no refrigeration, electronics that were almost as old as the boat and virtually no upgrades or add-ons over the past ~20 years. Many of the boats in his price range had A/C, new motors or other big ticket items. Others far better equipped (some also with A/C) and recently upgraded were asking $10K or more less than he was asking.

But I did find the E38 gives me the warm fuzzies. I was surprised by that because none of the pictures I've seen on any E38 did that to me. And we really like this broker and he agreed to represent us no matter who we buy from. Then we ended the day at a place called The Sailloft and I had a very tasty Rum Runner (or two). So it was a good day, even if it was 95 in the shade.

Last edited by JulieMor; 07-19-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-19-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you are on to something. if you really like the boat you saw, for now, look past the pricing, the older equipment and concentrate on the basic structure. New equipment and options like AC can always be added.

If the boat meets all your size and condition requirements then it's only a matter of price. If you've got a bead on what these boats are worth make the owner an offer. If you believe the boat is overpriced don't be afraid of insulting the guy with a realistic offer. Of course give yourself some room to move up. While it is his boat, it is your money.

It is unlikely that the perect boat will show up. Every boat you look at is going to have some warts. Whether they be the condition, the equipment or a price in outer space. If this boat gives you the warm fuzzies give the owner a try. You never know!!!
SloopJonB and JulieMor like this.
Old 07-19-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I've always found that Ericsons give me the warm fuzzies. They were very good boats and all of them are good looking. I'm particularly partial to the race oriented King designs - 34X, 37, 39 & 46.

I doubt you could go far wrong with a decent Ericson.
JulieMor and TJC45 like this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-19-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Good show...a design and boat you liked. I would worry about the add ons as was said as you can do them yourself and then they are new...and state of the art. Concentrate on the realistic price of the boat and the items which were important.. Was it I good shape? How as t used previously? How many owners? Engine maintenance? Thats what really counts here not the add ons. Is it a fresh water boat? How many months a year was it sailed?

Make a fair price offer. Its easier to have the one close by than one far away.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-19-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

If/when you place an offer, point out the lack of improvements as justification for your offer.

Also remember that most improvements do not add to the cash value of the boat. If done properly, they will enhance its attractiveness for a faster sale, but they'll rarely increase its price. (But it's fine for you to claim they do as part of your negotiation - it's all "part of the game.") When shopping for boats, I found more than a few cases where an "improvement" was poorly done and detracted from the boat's value. In a couple cases they were total deal breakers, because the botched jobs could not be undone.

I think some people here have lost patience because your purchase process has taken longer than they would like. You need to proceed at the pace that's right for you. You have missed out on a couple sailing seasons, but if that's what you need to be comfortable, so be it. It's not productive of those people to take out their frustration on you up here, but that's the nature of Internet message boards. Don't let yourself get drawn into an off-topic argument.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 07-19-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

I can't say a lot of how I think this will go because that would require me to put words in the broker's mouth. But, if I was the broker, I'd take the information we provided the broker to the owner and let the owner know he has buyers now who are serious but they know what's on the market and his boat is considerably overpriced. (We showed him comps and let him know we're aware of the costs of putting this boat on the same playing field as the others.) If the owner stands firm, then he'll have to wait for someone who buys solely on emotion and wants to pay cash.

There was a boat owner across the way who came over saying he wanted to move up. He was in and out in a few minutes. Probably because of all that he'd have to put into the boat if he wanted the same creature comforts he now has. Or maybe he just didn't like it. Or maybe it was too darn hot!

Taking in the condition of this boat, I didn't have any major issues, from what I could see from an in-water inspection. It's far from perfect but I never expected perfect. But it's ready to sail now (I think!), we'd just have to lug a few 50# blocks of ice to the boat or bring a cooler if we wanted cold drinks. And what sailor doesn't want cold drinks?

There are a few unanswered questions, like why was the shore power cord laid out, plugged into the dock, but not the boat? Is there a short somewhere? And I have to find the source of water stains on the upper cabin walls. Why so much oil in the bilge? And some other things on the list we made while there.

But the deck had virtually no crazing. The hull (above the waterline) looked in good shape. The rod rigging looked fine, as did the turnbuckles. But the hatches were failing and two were cracked. Fixed ports showed no evidence of leaking but the plexiglass was seriously crazed.

It wasn't the best day to thoroughly inspect a boat. It was 95 outside and about 110 inside, even after we opened all hatches and ports. I kept having to go up top to cool down and didn't do as thorough an inspection as I would have liked. I got plenty of pictures but still missed the stuffing box and a number of storage areas. I also didn't check to see if the boat had a freshwater pump. There was a number of other things I didn't check but it was so hot, spending any time below was torture.

We'll see how it goes. We're still planning on making the trip east. A friend of ours in CT is expecting us, regardless of if we find a boat locally or not. But if the buyer really wants to sell and recognizes what other boats are offering, he might feel a price adjustment is in order. I'd rather approach it that way than throw a number at him before he's nudged to seriously look at other E38s on the market and compares apples to apples, to whatever degree that's possible.