Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2004

Mike31 is on a distinguished road
Tartan 34-2

Hey all,

My wife and I are seriously considering a 1987 Tartan 34-2 as our first boat. Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Tartan 34-2

I have always liked the Tartan 34''s. They are reasonably wholesome boats featuring reasonably good build quality and sailing abilities. While there are some IOR derived elements of this design that are less than ideal, they were still good boats for their day.

I would not consider them to be a particularly ideal boat if you are learning to sail, but if you are a reasonably knowledgeable sailor these are a reasonable first boat.

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 07-25-2004

Tartan 34-2

Jeff,

Thanks for the info. I have several years sailing experience, the wife has none. If money were no object, we would go with a new T4100 (don''t like the look of the DS4400), but like most people, we have a budget we have to live by.
Old 07-26-2004

paulk is on a distinguished road
Tartan 34-2

There''s one in our harbor that the owner has a great time with, going all over the place. A nice feature is the fold-up dining table whose hinges are strong enough. (Many aren''t, and they break if you lean against them in a seaway. Tartans avoid this problem with good hinges.) It also gives you a good, dry bookcase behind it and lots of room when you''re not actually eating. The forward cabin/main cabin/head door access has looked a bit funny to me on the ones I''ve seen, check that it works for you.
Happy cruising!
Old 07-26-2004

Tartan 34-2

Well,

The wife and I finally got a chance to see the inside of the boat today (we looked at it pierside on Saturday but couldn''t get an appointment with the broker until today). The Admiral was skeptical about there being enough room on a 34 footer until we got a chance to peek belowdecks. There seems to be plenty of storage, and we both felt it had more room than the Hunter 40 we looked at yesterday. We also both agreed that we would rather be living on a smaller Tartan than a bigger BeneHuntAlina.

We are seriously trying to get the finances in order to do this now before it is too late to head south for the year. Speaking of, what is everyone''s opinion for a cutoff date for heading south (we live in CT)? We are planning on doing 40 miles/day or so, stopping every night in a different harbor. The broker''s opinion was that the end of August was about the absolute deadline, but I feel that is fairly early.

Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Tartan 34-2

There is a huge influx of boats through Annapolis in early October. That would suggest a late September departure which should give you a little wiggle room to pick your window for the pretty long offshore jump at New Jersey. The offshore jump speeds things up a bit as you will pretty much need to do that in one shot. You are somewhere around a week north of Annapolis.

I think that you will need every bit of the time and then some between now and the end of September to commission, upgrade and shake things down.

Jeff
Old 08-03-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Tartan 34-2

Mike, congratulations on finding ''the'' boat. And I agree with Jeff''s general description, she''s a moderate choice in many respects and overall a decent cruising choice. Read some of the on-line reviews of the boat, as well. It will give you things to think about during the survey and fitout.

I think your broker is giving you good advice (about departure timing). As just one example, good friends left RI in a sistership to WHOOSH (33'' waterline, powerful engine) and worked hard to get south. They did hit the Annapolis Show, as do many boats going South, but it was slow going (fronts start showing up regularly in September, just when you''re doing some longer runs in a new to you boat) and they didn''t enjoy it much. By the time they made it to the FL border, they were disgusted and had Racoon Tans: cheeks and chin tanned, eye sockets and everything else Albino White. The problem is two fold: first, you''re doing this to have fun, which means stopping to smell the roses regularly. OTOH a good day of weather will motivate you to move the boat, while a bad day will make going ashore a hassle. And then there''s the autumnal weather and sky: each day is shorter (meaning less time to move the boat, forcing you into the ends of the day when its colder), you would want very good cockpit protection to be comfy. Frontal systems increase in number & then severity, which means more hard wind, and cold/wet going. Going offshore is harder going South than North, and with a new boat you''d be more likely to stay inside, anyway. None of this says it can''t be done, and in mild falls-early winters, boats don''t have too hard a time...but they don''t see a lot either, as they work hard to stay ahead of the frost belt. I hope NONE of this discourages you from making the trip, it''s a joy and a special chance to reconnect with America''s roots and what makes her (still) the wonderful country she is. But better you think about the circumstances going in...

Finally, there''s the issue Jeff mentioned re: prepping the boat. You can''t really expect to do more than insure the basic systems are in place, key spares are aboard, you have the right tools and consumables, the navigation is locked up tight, and everything works (it won''t) with time to adjust/repair/replace/amend. This takes time, which is time away from becoming familiar with the boat, thinking about how you might want to modify things, etc. You might consider asking the owner for a day on the water right now, as the sales process unfolds, to see what you think about the boat''s current condition and exercise every piece of gear. Explain this is in her/his interest as it might speed up the sale. If it seems to you that there''s a significant gap between time needed and time remaining, it will free you up to move methodically thru the sale (e.g. when negotiating niggly survey issues).

Folks we spent time with who''d left your neck of the woods, come south in their T33 (same hull/underbody/engine) and were again headed north mentioned to us that it was a slow boat when motoring into a chop or without a sail up. 40NM-day is not a bad estimate and that would be a full workday at 5 kts...not counting bridges, adverse tidal currents in the Carolinas, etc.

Good luck and I hope it comes together for you.

Jack
Old 08-04-2004

Billpjr is on a distinguished road
Tartan 34-2

Masses of cruising sailboats arrive in South Florida during the Dec-Jan period. Larger boats "ride" northers down from St. Simons to Canaveral...that''s done well west of the gulfstream. Then it''s an easy shot outside to Ft.Pierce. After Ft. Pierce it can be day hops outside (and against the edge of the stream)or the ICW with lots of bridges down to Miami. You can make Miami in 4 winter days from Canaveral if taking the ICW all the way.
Old 09-10-2004

mtc is on a distinguished road
Tartan 34-2

Hello,

Have you had any luck finding that t34? We''re looking for the same boat. Would like to learn more.

Thanks,

Michael
Old 09-10-2004

mtc is on a distinguished road
Tartan 34-2

Hello,

Have you had any luck finding that t34? We''re looking for the same boat. Would like to learn more.

Thanks,

Michael