SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Your boat suggestions?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Delirious 
#1 ·
I'd appreciate your suggestions for the make, length, keel design for a used boat that would best meet these factors -
1. Large inland lake sailing with 70% daysailing, 30% weekend cruising
2. 40% single-handing, 30% couple, 30% two couples daysailing
3. With these amenities in order of importance: enclosed head, wheel, diesel
4. Reasonably stiff & stable handling
5. Under $25,000

Thanks fr your input!

#2 ·
Welcome to SailNet.

You'll probably want something in the 30 foot range but that means it won't be trailerable. Does the lake have a marina? If not, that places you around 28 and smaller.

#4 ·
Lots of choices that meet your criteria in that price range. You should be able find a good selection of decent condition 28-30 footers made in the 80s or maybe even early 90s. Boats like Catalina 30, ODay 28 and 30, CAL 28, etc. etc. Do a search on Yachtworld and see what pops up in your area.

#6 · (Edited)
Agree with the Catalina 30 - or the 34. A Cal 2-27 would be excellent as well. A C&C 30 might be the perfect boat at your price point. Also keep an eye out for a Sabre 30.

We sail your conditions in a Pearson 31-2 and I feel it is an ideal lake sailboat for two. I have single-handed as well and it docks and anchors like a lady. Comfortable cockpit that easily accomidates four adults. I would not hesitate to take her coastal cruising or out on the Great Lakes for an extended circuit.

However, it is not stiff at all until you get to 20 or 25° heel and then it locks up. That gives you the waterline for speed and, with the wing keel, gives you depth for pointing. Though I feel she is very seakindly. Tracks very well and sails well in varying conditions. Good motion and a gust speeds you up rather than broaching you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.