SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Possible Trade for a boat... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/101605-possible-trade-boat.html)

rob_d 07-21-2013 12:31 AM

Possible Trade for a boat...

Okay, so here it is. I found a guy with a Catalina 25 pop top. I went and looked at it today. Appears to be in decent condition. current owner traded her for an old car he had...the couple was getting more and more into cars than boats. has a title. he needed something to live on, so a trade was made. he didnt get a survey. boat appears to be in okay shape, but i wont really know until either i have one done myself or i can contact the previous owners. okay, so heres the skinny...he wants a harley. i have a harley that i was considering selling so i could buy a boat. now, otiginally i had in mind all of the things i wanted in a boat and i think i have been shooting for the stars thinking im going to get what i want as my first boat. yes, now it seems silly. i am wondering a few things and i wanted everyones feedback.
A) Is this a decent boat to learn on?
B) Should i do a trade to get me into a boat, learn to sail/liveaboard and then upgrade when im ready for a bigger/better boat anf actually ready to sail to Mexico?
C) Am i a bit nutty for even considering a tdade?
D) Would i be screwing myself over if i got this boat, or would she be good to learn on?

Heres the ad
1985 catalina 25 Pop-Top

Its a swing keel, pop top, etc. Found similar listings in the US from 2k to 8k.

Anyway, I'd love the feedback since everyone here has more knowledge than i do and have been a great sounding board!

Fyi, if there are spelling errors, I've done this on my tablet and it doesn't really love this website, so I do apologize!

lajimo 07-21-2013 01:30 AM

Possible Trade for a boat...

Offhand I'd say the price is very high for a 1985 model. You should realize that if you went a little bigger, say 27-30', you'd still have an easy to learn on boat, but with the right boat you could even sail down to Mexico.

Unkle Toad 07-21-2013 01:32 AM

Re: Possible Trade for a boat...

only you know if its worth it. looks like he droped the price to 4,000 I have read the catalina 25 as "forgiving, easy to sail, ok prefomance, comfortable for weekends" that all sounds like a definitely workable first boat. I personally feel a 25 is a little tight for liveaboard but there are people who do it. sorry I cant give you much more

rob_d 07-21-2013 01:57 AM

I think living aboard would be a bit cramped, But since it's just going to be me, probably doable. The previous owners had a new shroud made for the pop top with windows, so headroom is a bit better.

Funny thing about this guy...he's not really interested in money. he's a bit of a "free spirit". he only traded the boat for his car so he'd have a place to live. now a new opportunity has come up for him to move somewhere for him and his dog to live and needs to be mobile, travel for work, etc. I'm nervous though that I won't be able to at least get what he's valued her at as of right now when I am at the point where I'm ready to upgrade. I really want to talk to the previous owners since he's only had the boat for a few months.

bljones 07-21-2013 02:09 AM

if you're asking the question, you know the answer.
All of the buyer-is-into-cars-not-into-boats-and-i-really-want-a-boat is, quite frankly, meaningless.
their reasons for selling and your reasons for buying have aboslutely, 100%, no relation to the boat's actual value.

if they are selling below market, and you are buying above market, you're both idiots.
You can figure out the rest of the equation.

Once a Harley is involved, all bets go out the window.

Look, what do you want? a sailboat with no headroom barely acceptable for weekending, that you can trade your motorcycle for, dead even, or do you want a boat suitable for cruising, which this boat is not?

Quite frankly, if your goal is to live aboard and cruise, your harley is a better live-aboard than this catalina.

Don't apologize for your spelling errors, apologize to your Harley for even considering this trade.

Unless it is a 883.

BTW, anybody who says the porta-potti on a 28 year old boat has never been used is either lying or wears adult diapers.

rob_d 07-21-2013 12:01 PM

Why does everyone knock the 883? If you ever owned one, you know they are excellent bikes with plenty of power.
As for the port o potty, it's very new. it's not the original that came with the boat.

BTW, I'm here looking for advice from people who know about boats. Not for criticism.

manatee 07-21-2013 01:18 PM

What would the Harley sell for? Right now, as is, cash in hand. I see prices for them from $3000 to $20000 - where on that spectrum does yours lie?

rob_d 07-21-2013 01:27 PM

In all honesty, it's probably only worth $3500. I was going to ask $4500 and see what I got. And thats probably a high estimate. I just don't want to get into a boat that's going to depreciate by half when I want to sell in a couple of years when I'm ready to upgrade. Mainly I'm looking to see how people really feel about the Catalina 25.

DRFerron 07-21-2013 01:38 PM

I gave away my 1972 22 footer with never-used-not-even-unwrapped porta potti so it is possible.

If you are concerned about resale value being at or below what you paid, buying a boat probably isn't for you. Selling at a profit is rare. Most people buy boats (again and again) knowing that the value will steadily decline over time no matter what. Their enjoyment is in the boating. In order to even sell the boat at a decent price you'll have to put a lot of money into maintenance so that eats into the profit margin right there as well as hope that the market doesn't tank again. That said, Catalinas are very popular fist boats so I doubt you'll have a problem selling it if she's still looking good.

Shooting for the stars is not silly. Shooting for the stars after you learn how to build the rocket makes the dream that much more obtainable.

artbyjody 07-21-2013 01:49 PM

My .02 cents...

Both your bike and his boat are actually worth only what someone is willing to pay for them.

If you are just interested in learning how to sail and realize that the boat is nt going to make a live aboard... then maybe a good deal for you both.

Other things to think about though.
  • Does it have a an engine?Ad didn't state
  • Batteries
  • Are you prepared for dock fees, insurance, surveyor, mooring fees etc....

Not to make things complicated but they are nice boats to learn on and if the deal seems decent to you... then go forth......