SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Seeking recommendations / advice (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/101799-seeking-recommendations-advice.html)

dave6330 07-25-2013 02:21 PM

Seeking recommendations / advice

OK - I started a thread a couple of weeks back called "full keel" and got some pretty good input from a lot of really great people.

Based on some of that input (and an ongoing conversation I'm having with a broker) I'll pose another question (fully understanding the subjective nature of both the question and the probable answers):

If one wanted to purchase a 35-40 foot boat for under $100K that will -

1) offer acceptably comfortable accommodations for a couple living aboard with space for occational guests
2) be used primarilly for coastal cruising
3) occasionally venture out into more challenging conditions (crossing the Gulf of Alaska)
4) reasonably stand up over time
5) occupy a midpoint between the lightweight racing boats and the super heavy cruisers.

What would be your recommendations and why?

Bottom Line: We are still evaluating our options and covet the recommendations of more informed and experienced sailors.

FirstCandC 07-25-2013 03:43 PM

Re: Seeking recommendations / advice

Sorry that I cannot be much help, but thanks for an excellent post. Hope you will get some good suggestions.

Seaduction 07-25-2013 04:02 PM

:laugher:laugher
Oh Boy, now you started it! I'm gonna go get the popcorn and beer!
:clobber :gunner :hammer :hothead :chainsaw

JulieMor 07-25-2013 04:08 PM

We're kind of in the same situation but our high end in price is a bit less.

Boats are very personal but for us the boats we've whittled the list down to are the Ericson 38-200, Sabre 38 and, possibly, the Moody 376. The latter is a CC and not as good a sailer as the other two, so that's something to consider.

You might be able to get a Sabre 38 MKII for a bit under $100K. Sabre is a quality built boat. Excellent joinery. Great sailing ability.

The Ericson 38-200, built by Pacific Seacraft (PSC), is in the same price range for boats built through 1993. FWIW, there's a 1998 that's listed for $144K We've seen a E34 by PSC that got us started looking into Ericson. The PSC build adds about $20K to the price but many say it's a much better build. Any Ericsons built 1991 or later are PSC built.

The Moody is not so common but there are Moodys up to 41' for less than $100K. They are said to be very comfortable but need a lot of wind to sail well.

If you want comfort but don't care about speed, especially in light air, the Cabo Rico 38 is a very nice boat. Island Packet falls into that category too but, from what I hear, is a bit slower under sail than the Cabo.

34crealock 07-25-2013 04:21 PM

While we are talking Pacific Seacraft, the Crealock 34 and 37 fall into that range.

dave6330 07-25-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieMor (Post 1064633)
We're kind of in the same situation but our high end in price is a bit less.

Boats are very personal but for us the boats we've whittled the list down to are the Ericson 38-200, Sabre 38 and, possibly, the Moody 376. The latter is a CC and not as good a sailer as the other two, so that's something to consider.

You might be able to get a Sabre 38 MKII for a bit under $100K. Sabre is a quality built boat. Excellent joinery. Great sailing ability.

The Ericson 38-200, built by Pacific Seacraft (PSC), is in the same price range for boats built through 1993. FWIW, there's a 1998 that's listed for $144K We've seen a E34 by PSC that got us started looking into Ericson. The PSC build adds about $20K to the price but many say it's a much better build. Any Ericsons built 1991 or later are PSC built.

The Moody is not so common but there are Moodys up to 41' for less than $100K. They are said to be very comfortable but need a lot of wind to sail well.

If you want comfort but don't care about speed, especially in light air, the Cabo Rico 38 is a very nice boat. Island Packet falls into that category too but, from what I hear, is a bit slower under sail than the Cabo.

I read your thread on "buying by the numbers". Thanks for your candid input.

dave6330 07-25-2013 04:30 PM

...and before I get beaten up too badly, I've looked (with interest) at the "buying a cruiser", "boat buying by the numbers", "any suggestions??" and "boat inspection trip tips" threads. I KNOW there's a lot of good stuff out there and a lot of it overlaps. This is such an important decision - I would be remiss in not seeking all the input I can handle.

V/R
Dave

BarryL 07-25-2013 04:45 PM

Hey,

Your requirements are pretty basic and, IMHO, are easily met by most production type boats. If you plan on having guests more often, or you just want the space I would look at boats like:
Beneteau 400
Hunter 40.5
Catalina 380
Hunter 380

If you won't be having guests that often and / or want something smaller and cheaper, the Catalina 36, Hunter 36, Beneteau 361 type boats would be a good choice.

For me personally I would prefer something newer and more modern design than something older and more primitive. I would insist on features like walk through or open transom, separate shower stall, etc. I would probably want a furling mainsail, generator with heat and a/c and the rest of the comforts.

Good luck,
Barry

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave6330 (Post 1064580)
OK - I started a thread a couple of weeks back called "full keel" and got some pretty good input from a lot of really great people.

Based on some of that input (and an ongoing conversation I'm having with a broker) I'll pose another question (fully understanding the subjective nature of both the question and the probable answers):

If one wanted to purchase a 35-40 foot boat for under $100K that will -

1) offer acceptably comfortable accommodations for a couple living aboard with space for occational guests
2) be used primarilly for coastal cruising
3) occasionally venture out into more challenging conditions (crossing the Gulf of Alaska)
4) reasonably stand up over time
5) occupy a midpoint between the lightweight racing boats and the super heavy cruisers.

What would be your recommendations and why?

Bottom Line: We are still evaluating our options and covet the recommendations of more informed and experienced sailors.

dave6330 07-25-2013 06:26 PM

All right, I know I've been warned about putting too much stock in the 'numbers', but I've always used the capsize ratio as one of my threshold benchmarks. Anything over 2.0 doesn't even get a second look. Am I off base on that one as well? That criteria alone has eliminated MANY of the more modern contenders.

JulieMor 07-25-2013 07:17 PM

Personally, I think it's EVERYTHING when it comes to numbers, opinions and scuttlebutt. But NOTHING can take the place of boarding a boat and taking the time to get to know her.