Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2013

Eyerish is on a distinguished road
Re: Choosing a small sailboat

CalebD: not quite, it's a slipper, I think the fox changed some design elements.

I will post pictures when I get home. I sailed her the first time yesterday, and I don't know if it is because it is small or what but we got a few knots out of some light wind, and you barely need to touch the tiller... Could almost rest a foot on it and cruise And this was new to me: tacking without touching a thing except the tiller. That was nice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2013

I've since had a couple of outings in varying weather. It has been nice, it turns much quicker than I was used to, I'm sure because of the fact it is essentially a dinghy. It bounces a lot in waves, not across the bow but the wild swells of a busy lake of huge wake-setters and circling jet skis. But I never felt concerned about tipping, though it did spin me off my heading a few times.
I have found that after a few days I explored under the sink and found quite a bit of water. I can't tell where it is coming from, either the through hullmfromnthe sink or the drop keel? Anyone have any experience?
Old 08-07-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Still waiting for pictures or a link to your Slipper on sailboatdata.com.

Small-ish boats tend to be very responsive to the helm so it is not surprising you found that it turns quickly.

To chase down the source of that leak:
get someone to come sailing with you
have them sail the boat on BOTH a port & starboard tack while
you are below looking for the source of the water.
Ya' can't fix it if you don't know where the water is coming from.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-08-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyerish View Post
Hello,
I am seeking your help with narrowing down a few choices of boat. For background, this would be my first sailboat purchase. It will primarily be used on inland lakes and trailered around 10 miles or less most of the time. It will be kept out of the water primarily (i.e. not docked or moored) at most extreme, someday apostle islands but unlikely b/c would probably charter. I learned to sail on a Rhodes 22, which has been the majority of my hours.
Ok:
1986 seaward slipper 17' - good condition. Sloop rigged. Most of what I have read seems good, but I can't find much info on this particular boat.Hoping some of you have real world experience.
1977 american 22' - good condition. Downside is it is a little heavier and older.
197? Catalina 22' - there are a few of these in varying conditions, but seem the most ubiquitous for parts, questions, etc.
198? Com-PAC 16' - good condition. I have read mixed reviews.

I think it is between the compac and the seaward, and i am leaning towards the seaward slipper. These are all about the same price, btw. Thanks for your input.

Eyerish
i've heard good things about the Com-Pac 16. if you find a holiday20, i can personally vouch for them. they are awesome. they are a 'small boat' that handles like a cruiser.

wow. that was short for a which boat to buy thread. i should have read beyond the original post before i replied.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by captain jack; 01-08-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-30-2014

I don't have enough posts just yet to complete the link to sailboatdata.com. I also had trouble with photos previously but have since succeeded, and will update this thread as soon as the snow melts for future thread searches on the seaward 17.
Old 03-30-2014

and now the link:

SLIPPER 17 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

photos of my particular boat to follow for future reference...

Tags
seaward slipper 17