SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Hull Inspection (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/102006-hull-inspection.html)

wanderlustjoe 07-31-2013 05:50 PM

Hull Inspection

Looking at buying a 1971 Tanzer 22. It's selling cheap. The cabin, cockpit, rigging, sails, etc are all in great shape. You can tell this is a boat that was well looked after. However there's a little paint chipping on the hull above the water line and boat is in salt water. The owner has already said it will probably need new paint in a year or so. Is it worth paying a diver $150 to check out the hull and keel and take a video?

Thanks,

aeventyr60 07-31-2013 07:08 PM

Re: Hull Inspection

What's cheap? You can probably do a one way haul out at a local yard for 150 bucks. Make an offer contingent on your inspection/survey... buy it and go sailing!

capttb 07-31-2013 07:53 PM

If it's ready to sail and cheap enough to consider it disposable at the end of your season when you haul, (if it's toast), why not? If you plan to get all emotional and dump time and money into it, haul it and see if it's worth starting with that one.
Is it bottom paint chipping or a painted hull starting to chip ?

miatapaul 07-31-2013 09:33 PM

Is it this one?

1974 Tanzer 22' Sailboat

If so offer a grand and take your chances, if the sails and rigging are good.

overbored 08-01-2013 12:24 AM

hire the diver to clean the bottom and look it over at that time. should not cost more then $60 for a 22' boat

boatpoker 08-01-2013 06:08 AM

The bottom is the part that holds the rest of it up.
kind of important to take a look.

Fstbttms 08-01-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overbored (Post 1067459)
hire the diver to clean the bottom and look it over at that time. should not cost more then $60 for a 22' boat

+1

A diver will be able to tell you little of value without first cleaning the hull. Hull cleaning rates vary widely region to region, but unless the bottom is extremely foul, $150 sounds a little steep, even including the video service.

wanderlustjoe 08-01-2013 12:15 PM

miatapaul - that's the one I was looking at.

Thanks for all the advice. I called a # of different diving services and the cheapest I could find was $150. I don't know if this is just Pudget Sound pricing or if I'm calling the wrong people.

Thanks for the advice folks. I guess I'll keep trying to find someone cheaper to clean the hull.

chuck53 08-01-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderlustjoe (Post 1067623)
miatapaul - that's the one I was looking at.

Thanks for all the advice. I called a # of different diving services and the cheapest I could find was $150. I don't know if this is just Pudget Sound pricing or if I'm calling the wrong people.

Thanks for the advice folks. I guess I'll keep trying to find someone cheaper to clean the hull.

I'm in a low rent district, but for $150, I could get a short haul for my 34 footer, and the yard owner would probably let me use his power washer to clean it. Then it's out of the water for a good inspection.

aeventyr60 08-01-2013 05:37 PM

Give Seaview boat yard a call and see what they charge for a one way haul and pressure wash.