Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2004

Spang is on a distinguished road
First Boat- Pearson 27 or Tartan 28???

After months of reading SailNet and deliberations on my first sailboat, In my mind I have come down to 2. I live in Florida and this boat would be for daysailing in the bay and some coastal cruising with a family of 4.

I have read many favorable posts on the Pearson along with many favorable posts on the quality of Tartan sailboats. I realize the Tartan lists for 5-6K more, is the quality, layout, extra foot worth it?
What are the pluses and minuses of each?

Please advise...I am open to all feedback as I move closer to my final decision.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2004
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough

Spang,

I owned a P-27 for 15 years, and only sold it this spring because I bought a P-33 last fall. The P-27 is a fine boat that can take more than you can. I did look at a Tartan 28 before I bought the P-27, but frankly can''t remember that much about it. Anyway, please email me directly and I''ll be glad to answer any questions about the P-27. There''s also a P-27 email list I can hook you up with if you''d like input from about 50 or so P-27 owners.
Old 08-09-2004

Spang is on a distinguished road

SailorMitch,

Thank you very much for the reply. I have signed up for the P-27 email list and have noted the positive posts regarding this boat.I will probably be emailing you directly as I run into questions.

Is there anyone who can provide feedback on the Tartan 28?

Thank you!
Old 08-09-2004

lgsailor19 is on a distinguished road

I have owned a P-27 and although, in my opinion, the boat is constructed well, it isn''t my choice .

The P-27 is a bit "tender" (heels quickly) due to its relatively light weight, shoal keel and high freeboard. In addition, due to its external rudder, it is not meant to be sailed with more than 10 degrees os so of heel. ( See the owner''s manual! ) If you do , you will probably experience a rudder "stall", and/or a "round up" as well.

I liked the layout and the quality of construction of the boat,though. I don''t know much about the Tartan model you are considering, but give it a closer look. Good Luck!!
Old 08-09-2004

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Does the Pearson have a wheel or a tiller? The wheels on Pearsons (at least the early 80''s boats I looked at) are located in a strange place, all the way forward in the cockpit. It seems like a strange location to me.

Barry
Old 08-09-2004
Senior Moment

Barry,

The P-27 came with a tiller in early hulls (the first 60 or so), then a wheel became standard. The wheel is at the back of the cockpit. At 27 feet LOA, there isn''t a whole lot of space to move the wheel forward as was done in such boats as the P-35 and (1970''s vintage) P-39, or even the 10M (see Sam Boyle''s articles about converting his 10M from wheel back to a tiller.)

BTW....you''d appreciate the wheel being forward if you were singlehanding, or if you were hit by a storm and wanted some protection from the dodger. As always with a boat -- trade offs.
Old 08-10-2004
Senior Moment

lgsailor19,

Just found your post on the P-27, and I have to offer a different opinion about the ideal angle of heel for the boat. I doubt that any monohull could sail at 10 degrees of heel in a decent sailing breeze. I gave the owners manual to the fellow who bought my P-27 so I can''t look at what it may have said, but I talked directly to Bill Shaw and Bill Richards (who actually designed the P27) about the proper angle of heel when I first had the boat (my wife didn''t like heeling at all, and she thought I was a bad sailor.) According to them, the P-27 was designed to sail at about 15-20 degrees, which is typical of most Pearsons from the mid-80''s on.

At about 15 knots of true wind I started thinking about reefing -- and I had a 155 genoa in place of the factory 130. At 20 knots I definitely reefed. Yes, the boat would round up at higher wind speeds, a sure sign that she was overpowered. To counteract that, lower the main or let out the jib a bit, and you''d regain control right away.

As for quality of constuction, the Tartan is better built, but the Pearson is close behind. I''m still not aware of any structural problems with the P-27, and most of those boats are at least 15 years old now.
Old 08-11-2004

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Thanks for pointing out the difference between the P-27 and other P boats with the wheel forward. I remember reading about Sam B''s boat, and that caused me to write.

Barry

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.