Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Full or Shoal Keel on New Oyster 575?

Just looked at the specs, there is a deep, shoal AND a Centerboard version which goes from 5.5' to 12' of draft. Could be a very good option for some!

Marty
Old 08-05-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Yeah, why let a little thing like VCG bother you.
5.5 ' sure, that'll work just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2013

How about 5' on a 43' boat? We have a bene DS43 in the fleet, I can out point that on by some 10*. At a race afew weeks back, while they did the same 2 mile or so upwind leg in the same amount of time i did, they had to sail at least 50% more distance than I did! so not sure where the 40 secs a mile they have on me helps them!

sailing is fun, to me make it fun from your stand point. For me, the faster I can go, more upright etc is the way to do it, Deep keels make this and easier option than a shoal with a in mast furling like the 43ds I have mentioned. Or the C28II. THe T2's frankly do move along and those boats are hard to beat. They might have a bit of a gift rating, or since the owners have owned them for a LONG time, they probably know every current, how to set the sails perfect ea time etc.......

Marty
Old 08-05-2013
grumpy old man

There is no substitute for draft.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 08-05-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Is the PHRF on the particular boat in question actually different by 20-30 seconds per mile between the shoal and deep keel? If so, I get it. That would be a lot more than I expected. On my boat, I find it hard to image it would be the case, but I could be wrong.

However, I don't think cruisers do very many 2000 mile legs, with 50 to maybe 100 mile days being most common.

I guess the OPs answer will somewhat depend on what they mean by cruising.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-05-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhammill View Post
I neglected to include the draft differences on the 575 in my original post...

Full keel is 8' 10", shoal keel is 6' 9".

Thx
NINE FEET!???

Hope you enjoy the carribean cuz you sure aint bringing that boat to the keys or Bahamas... And if you ever want to sell it, where would you sell it? Having a boat with that kind of draft would wipe out any buyers that wanted to use it in my neck of the woods.

I guess you know what my answer is. But in full disclosure, I hate 6 feet (what mine is).

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-05-2013

SWAN 53 CB SM 48 48 48
SWAN 53 DK SM 30 30 30
SWAN 53 SM SD 42 42 42
Mcgregor 65 std keel -45 shoal draft -9 wing keel 15
J44 36 vs 45 for the WK
Islander Peterson 40 87 for DK 111 for the shoal draft
Gulfstar 60 48 to 57
Grand soliel 39 108 vs 120
catalina 400 117 vs 126
Bene Oceanus 473 78 vs 96

Not too many larger boats like this in phrf. If I were to look up IRC/IRS or one of the more common rating systems in Europe, I could probably find ratings for Oysters. In NQ where PHRF is king, no one else in the world uses this system too much.... hard to get comparisons. But the few I did find in larger boats, there is at least a 12-20 sec difference. Even Minne's boat is not listed, be it shoal or deep draft, as no one has raced it, or not enough have raced to get into the system to look up at this time.

One can see that there is a difference in speed. As I sorta pointed out, as did minne, if you only go 10-50 miles then hit a dock....probably not enough to make a big deal out of. If you cross oceans or equal for a 2-4 day trip......now things will change a bit!

I still say, if one needs shoal, yet wants the deep draft pointing ability, a daggerboard or CB would be the way to go. But many of those seem to be slower in ratings than a shoal is! Probably because the board does not carry a lot of the ballast, and MOST of it is in the upper keel area, so the thing is BOGGED down by a LOT more wt. Vs a deep vs shoal can be 300-500 lbs for a boat my size, to 3000-5000 lbs for boats in the 40's and 50 foot range. A bunch of added wt to get the same righting moment, then add in drift, lack of pointing........adds up, whether a person cares or not is another story.

Marty
Old 08-05-2013
grumpy old man

Marty:
Problem is if we are comparing a 6' draft Oyster to a 10' draft Oyster you are NOT going to get the same Rm. I don't care what humungous shape that they hang on that 6' keel tip. You will never get the VCG of the 10' draft model. And just adding ballast will have it's own set of negative effects.

Go now.
Go deep.
Don't go to the Bahamas.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 08-05-2013

Bob,

I would have no doubt there would be a BIG difference in 4' as to how much lead one would have to add. Hence why the CB versions of some of the boats have such a slow rating, the lead is probably all in the upper 2-3' of the keel per say, in the housing below the hull. Now that I typed all that giberish, not sure if it made sense.......hopefully it did.

Now if I could figure out how to make my current boat 6' deep! then put the lake rig on it......not sure what that would do to the rating or speed or what ever.....probably not worth it frankly, better to spend some money on a proper designed boat in the mid 30' range, wife would be happy as it is bigger, for me faster.........

If I could afford an oyster, not sure 4' would be an issue, or the putting a daggerboard like Icon has or some of the other larger boats in the Oysters class of boats. That would be my way to deal with this issue. Not that 10' here in the salish sea is an issue, other than Fishermans bay on lopez or slot going thru laconner. Even those places one could get a 10' draft thru them if one had to. FB would be the harder one! Since at 0 it is 5' deep or there abouts, max I have seen is 9', so 13' of water to deal with......hmmmmmmm.

Marty
Old 08-05-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I think we can all agree that a 57ft Oyster is going to be a pretty fast and comfortable boat, regardless of keel choice. It's just a question of how fast for cruising.

BTW, I think Bob likes the boat for what it is. That's about all I could make of this.

Oyster 575

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.