SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Full or Shoal Keel on New Oyster 575?

15K views 50 replies 9 participants last post by  blt2ski 
#1 ·
I've purchased a new Oyster 575 and will need to make a "keel decision" in the next few months. While we will be bringing it across the Atlantic, most of the intended sailing will be in the Caribbean, out of the BVI. There are lots of opinions and I want to make the right decision - "realities" of the destinations versus all the performance concerns (pointing, leeway, stability, etc.). FYI, we are cruisers, not racers.

Short of a crystal ball, I'm amassing thoughts/perspectives form those of you who have "been there, done that".

Thanks so much.

#47 ·
What does it matter! he got his 20 posts, we get th phun of watching. He could also go to an ingnoramous thread......not that too many are runing around right now......

oh well, relaxing on boat, getting ready for breakfast.

Marty

#49 ·
sunny day in wonderfull port ludlow, tomorrow get to race home...........

yep, an oyster would be nice,.......but you know what, my 30 Jeanneau does me just fine! Now maybe if I wanted to cruise the world.....but the salish sea.......too bad Oyster does not build a mid 30'r any more! wife would like one I am sure.

marty

#50 ·
Blows me away that people cannot come up with a measly 15 odd posts that contain at least some content.

Anywho, that is neither here not there.

OK you technical wizards ..... all this talk about nowt better than deep draught. Obviously all that draught is yea team for a slog to windward but what about reaching and running ? Is their really any advantage in those situations ?

#51 ·
Must be late winter down under, fuzzy is getting a bit agnoramous, if there is such a word! or is it angstnoramous.........well any way, hope fuzzy gets to go sailing soon on his Malo....heard they make a 37' version, need to check it out and see if spouse can ski on it!......

marty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.