Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2013

Dave_E is on a distinguished road
New Old Boat

Hi All,

I have been a sailor since 1985, all on rental sailboats from the Navy , friends boats etc. Never owned one, just a lifelong dream. I'm 56 years strong now, my new wife of 2 years is also 56 and I took her out twice now on a friends old 26' Columbia (on nice days of course) and she is hooked. So we started looking for a boat. The first attemp, a San Juan 28, blew the motor on the sea trial (found tons of other things that quickly turned that 1980 boat into a project boat. Now our offer on a 1979 Allmand 31 has been accepted. It's in pristine condition, turn key ready. We go for the water test next Saturday, and of course the survey after that.

My wife asks me last night, "how many people buy 34 year old sailboats"? I don't know, so I'll pass the question to you readers. The price of a new 27 footer is just jaw dropping!

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2013

capecodda is on a distinguished road
Re: New Old Boat

Hey, we are of similar age....

Nothing at all wrong with an old boat, we've owned one that old. What matters is how it was taken care of. Get a good survey, and I assume you are a Navy man, thanks for your service!
Old 08-12-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
New Old Boat

The short answer is "lots". Not really much different than asking if anyone buys a 34 yo house. I have a 1984 boat and would buy it again if in the condition that it is now.

Just a question of time and money.
Old 08-12-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road

Three years ago I bought my first boat, a 1966 Pearson Triton. Just bought my second boat, a 1986 Catalina 34. Chances are a fiberglass hull will last longer than you will, so if the boat has been well taken care of age shouldn't be an issue.

The survey should give you an idea of what might need attention, some things (hardware, rigging, etc) might be nearing end of life and need replacing. Depends on what the previous owner has done.
Old 08-12-2013

gamayun is on a distinguished road

For buying my first sailboat, I'd been given sage advice to buy an older one that was well taken care of. Mine is just a baby (25 years old), but looks and runs great. A 34-year-old turnkey boat sounds like a good deal to me. The only issue might be trying to get financing on an older boat and here's hoping you don't have to do that, which makes it an even better deal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

s/v Kynntana
Freedom 38
Old 08-12-2013

seanreid71 is on a distinguished road

Just bought a 76 hunter 30' so i get it. was an offer I couldn't (but maybe should have) refused. I am sure I have tripled its value with the few mods I have already done.
Old 08-12-2013

cthoops is on a distinguished road

We bought our first boat this spring, and it's a 1975. I agree with the advice about trying to find an old boat that has been well taken care of. We love our new old boat.
Old 08-12-2013

cranki is on a distinguished road

There will be things that will break and there are things that need replacing. They may not be expensive things and if you are handy you can fix or replace them yourself. For example, there will be a number of rubber hoses: intake for the engine, intake for the head, drains... all those hoses are going to be old and brittle. You should consider replacing them. The cost will likely be a few hundred dollars and a lot of choice curse words. Practice cursing...wait, you were in the navy.

My boat was built in 1976. I have another I am selling from 1973. No way I could afford a brand new boat.
Old 08-12-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
My wife asks me last night, "how many people buy 34 year old sailboats"? I don't know, so I'll pass the question to you readers. The price of a new 27 footer is just jaw dropping!

Dave
So long as boats are taken care of, they can last a long time.

My boat was built in 1981 and aside from some cleaning up it needed when I bought it and some upgrades/repairs I plan to do in the future, it is in great condition. Looking back, with the boat in the condition it was in when I bought it, I would do it again. I've only had my boat a little over a year. I love my boat.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 08-12-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

My current boat is 34 years old. Bought her when she was 30. I think it's feasible to by a turnkey boat that age if there are signs of renovations and improvements in the last 5+ years. At 30+ years you definitely see major systems that need a replacement, rebuild or overhaul - rigging, deck hardware, engine, plumbing, paint, electrical. It may not be drastic, but it requires some thoughtful attention. Our rigging was the original from 1979. We demasted and replaced everything with improvements. It also may be the case that this work could be spread over several seasons.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.