Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft" - Page 10 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2013

daledog is on a distinguished road
Re: Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft"

Wing keels? Not for me. If you sail, you eventually go aground. Wing keels aren't fun in mud. As for draft, use your depth finder and charts...it's no problem...you just have to stay more aware. But really, consider you draw either 3'6" or 6', in 7' of water either way you'd better pay attention. I've always sailed fins. Love the way they point and turn. I had a Cal 9.2 that drew 5'7", and it turned like it was on a lazy susan.

About NC, better spend some time there to see if you like the a.heat b. mosquitos c.the...culture (do you have diverse culinary tastes? good luck finding...oh...hummas?). And (I lived in Oriental for 2+years) on the Chesapeake there are endless destinations. On the Pamlico? nothing. Ocracoke is great but mot an easy trip, and once there you can be stuck for days by weather. Other than Ocracoke, really not much. Yeah Oriental is cute, but nothing there. New Bern is cute, but WAAAY up the river. Lotta crab docks tho....

And the Tartan is about ready! I've decided to shave the bottom. Varying opinions on the necessity, but I'm OCD and want her to be a jewel....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2013

Robcooper0767 is on a distinguished road

I'm with you on fins, but the boats I like are 5'11" fins and that is too long for Upper Ches. I checked with Tidewater in Havre de Grace, just to see what they thought. They have all under 5'6" and the only 6' draft basically never goes out, or so rarely due to requirement to come and go at a high enough depth.
I'm concerned about that NC issue of "not much to see when sailing". I'm ok with the other issues you note, one reason we are looking there. But, I keep noting to the wife that Tidewater VA is still in the lead for me. We looked at 33 houses there (drive-by's) all around the Norfolk area, from Toano north and in a large (more rural/suburban) circular route, Smithfield, Chesapeake, Moyock (NC), over to Pungo, and up to Gloucester. If I can stay off the Peninsula Traffic and find good schools, that area has Chesapeake, James, York, Atlantic Ocean, and many Bays (Mobjack, etc.) to explore and stay. I lived in North San Diego County, in Carlsbad, CA and sailed out of Camp Pendleton/Oceanside.....same thing as NC, out in the Ocean, around here and there, parallel to the shore, never really seeing anything but the same, basic shoreline.....very boring.
The Sabre 34 MkI has 5'6" fin, but prices can be higher than later Pearson's, and they don't look any different than a Pearson. I also read somewhere they used wood in places that can be prone to rot and you need to watch for that. The MKI's are in the high $20's and 30's, and probably compare to the Pearson 34's (5'11" fin are faster, and the P-34 CBs are no slouch either, in similar design/layout.
Any thoughts on the 1983-1986 P-34 vs the later (newer design P31-2 or P33-2's?)
thanks for the info.

Rob
Passeggiata - Pearson 30, #644
Old 09-24-2013
chucklehead

mr_f is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcooper0767 View Post
I'm with you on fins, but the boats I like are 5'11" fins and that is too long for Upper Ches. I checked with Tidewater in Havre de Grace, just to see what they thought. They have all under 5'6" and the only 6' draft basically never goes out, or so rarely due to requirement to come and go at a high enough depth.
My 5'11" fin visited Havre de Grace this summer without problem. So there are two data points (coming and going) that may or may not have happened at high tide (no idea). Must be OK.
Old 09-26-2013
Just A Member

Dick6969 is on a distinguished road

Look at the Pearson 323. Has 4.5 draft, Plenty of room in the **** pit 8', Lots of room inside and very sea friendly.
Pearson 323 Hull #89 (Frayed Knot)
Old 09-29-2013

I saw a Hunter Legend 37.5 and a 35.5 and, boy, were they nice inside....that said, I read alot about how bad Hunter's are (McDonalds of sailboats, flexing decks, etc according to the detractors). Any ground truth? A 1991 Hunter 35.5 Legend is a true 35.5 ft boat and (on the surface) alot of boat, good turn of speed, nicely done interior, for about the same price as a Pearson 33-2 (that is really a 32ft boat).
Problem 7/8ths Fractional versus Masthead (but at least not a full fractional).
Is it even worth considering.....at all? Are they really worse than Catalina's (according to some)
I would still love a Tartan 37-2 but I don't happen to have the extra $40,000 laying around.
R

Am looking at a couple of 33-2's and still have an eye on a P34.... I have to say, the Hunter interior makes these boats look bad....so, I'm looking at both aspects....SAILING still wins, believe me, but what you get and the dollars you spend DO matter.

Last edited by Robcooper0767; 09-29-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old 09-29-2013

I'll tell you what I've read, and I'm sure you've heard most of this..........When you search for Hunter info, holy man! People just really crap all over them. One thing I read that did puzzle me was a guy who said he was on a Legend, and "what a nice boat", but when he was trying to plot a course on the Chart table with the GPS, he had a very hard time reading the GPS because it was bouncing around from the deck flexing....

I saw a 35.5 Legend in Deltaville, VA,

1991 Hunter 35.5 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

not terribly far away from me at a reasonable price. Not sure why the guy moved the furler outboard of the well where it was designed (heard that the lines that go inside the deck to feed the furler can cause deck moisture issues so maybe that's it?) He also noted it's set up as a cruiser, and not sure what that means....may call on Monday?)

also, same price but farther away (1990 Hunter Legend 35.5 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com) with normal furler in anchor locker)

They are a little higher priced than I want, but everything is negotiable (I never would pay asking price, who would!)

Don't want to call and waste anyone's time, so have to consider.

To compare, here's a P-33-2 I like, just a few k less, but smaller boat....Nice looking, not as roomy inside or with the larger cockpit....but, other than possible deck moisture on stanchion bases (Pearson curse) and potential around toe rail (on the later Pearson designs)., This is a nice boat too.

1986 Pearson 33-2 sailboat for sale in New York

Last, but not least, looking at this one in Michigan, P-34 CB

1986 Pearson 33-2 sailboat for sale in New York

And, this older MKI Sabre 34 C/B

1983 Sabre 34 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

The Sabre and P-34 are very traditional interiors and frankly, exteriors too (kind of dated look, but great boats)

The Hunter and P-33-2 are defintely the newer look.

Comments?
Old 09-29-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

A few random thoughts on your last couple of emails:

Furler lines run inside the deck: Sounds like a major hassle to debug and handle when things go wrong. They rarely go wrong when you want them to.

Pearson (85+) dampness: The toe rail will show up as damp with a moisture meter, but there is no wood core there to get damp, the side of the deck and hull are solid fiberglass. The moisture is from dirt getting into the hollow under the teak toe rail, the hollow is there to clear the deck/hull join screws. The mud and dirt that lives under there can at worse rot out the teak rail.

The stanchions on my 1986 Pearson were better bedded (with counterboring) than they are on most boats. They do use rubber gaskets that look like a terrible idea, but there was plenty of bedding compound besides those. I don't know for sure that they were never rebedded on my boat, but there is no evidence of it.

If you are measuring half feet you should call the Pearson 33-2 a 32.5 boat. 3' is still a big difference.

Quoting this one: "They are a little higher priced than I want, but everything is negotiable (I never would pay asking price, who would!)"

I've paid asking price on one boat that was listed for a very fair price, and have sold one boat at asking price because the buyer thought it was a very fair price.
Old 09-29-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I agree with Alex regarding asking/selling prices. If I listed a pristine 2012 Catalina 30 at $4,000, would you try to negotiate?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-29-2013

OK, OK!! I give up Good points both of you, seriously. and Alex, your information on the moisture/toe rail is priceless.....this is the first I've seen/heard it explained that way and that makes my looking a whole lot easier for that boat. I hope I can afford the 33-2, but not sure if I can. The 31-2 (according to threads, did have a bigger moisture problem, as I noted the one I looked at in Havre de Grace, MD has moisture 8-10" in from the toe rail.
@Alex - Is that still the joint and mud/dirt, or do the 31-2's have a bigger problem?
@Jim - ok....I get it.
The question is: What is a P33-2, a P31-2, P34 and Sabre 34 CB (MkI) really going to sell for if they are all in "good" condition. Prices are all over the map, and in some cases (personal experience here) we price things where we would like them to be, not what they really should be.
Price ranges, that is "purchase prices" for those boats in good condition?
Thanks
Old 09-29-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Rob,
Check NADA and BoatUS. Both should give you average selling prices for boats in average condition. Then you can adjust up or down based in the specifics of the boat in question. For example, If the engine was just rebuilt, that's worth something (maybe $2-4000). By contrast, if the jib and main are rotten or torn beyond repair, I'd knock off $1000-1500.

That strategy at least gives you a rational basis for an offer, rather than just going based on asking price.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.