Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft" - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2013

Robcooper0767 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft"

Just like the Masthead look, purely aesthetics for me. Tartan 33 is fractional and has right keel depth and turn of speed, but I like the Tartan 33R looks better, but, of course, it has a 6+ foot draft.......
Might have to look at a few, even sail them, and maybe I can be a convert...not sure.
Passeggiata - Pearson 30, #644
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2013

Robcooper0767 is on a distinguished road

@Chuck, I'm favoring the 36' only because the PHRF is 147 vice 159 for Wing and 12 pts lower for Fin.
But, I do like the Aft head on the 34 better.....
How do you like the performance of the Wing? I'd really like to get your in depth thoughts on that, and your buddies if possible. Any comparisons to fins would help too.
Thanks.
Rob
Passeggiata - Pearson 30, #644
Old 08-13-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcooper0767 View Post
@Chuck, I'm favoring the 36' only because the PHRF is 147 vice 159 for Wing and 12 pts lower for Fin.
How do you like the performance of the Wing? I'd really like to get your in depth thoughts on that, and your buddies if possible. Any comparisons to fins would help too.
Thanks.
Rob
I talked to a lot of C30 owners before we bought our boat. Everybody said the same thing - unless you're racing you won't notice the difference between the fin and the wing.

You also won't notice the difference between a 147 rated boat and a 159 rated boat.

In the real world the performance of two boats rated that close, sailing side by side will have more to do with the condition of the sails, how the boat is loaded and the skills of the captain.

Find a boat with a layout you like, in good condition and go enjoy the bay with your family.
chuck53 and TJC45 like this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 08-13-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I cannot argue with your sense of what looks right to you, since we all have our own personal aesthetic sense and when it comes to buying a boat, what matters is what looks good to you. But in terms of ease of handling, once you try a fractional rig, you might learn to avert your eyes.

The only trouble with the wing that I can see is that if you run aground, they are much harder to free. There was a time when this was a frequent topic around here. I spoke to a number of people with wing keel boats who also had owned conventional keels, as well as tow boat operators. While some wing keel operators ademantly denied that there was any problem freeing a wing keeled boat, the vast majority of wing keel owners and all of the tow boat operators that I spoke to said that wing keels are much harder to free when they run aground.

To me, here on the Chesapeake a wing keel is a deal breaker. If shoal draft is needed, and performance is even a remote priority either a shoal keel with a bulb or a shoal keel with a centerboard will generally outperform a wing keel, without the difficulty in freeing the boat in a grounding....

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 08-13-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
The only trouble with the wing that I can see is that if you run aground, they are much harder to free. There was a time when this was a frequent topic around here. I spoke to a number of people with wing keel boats who also had owned conventional keels, as well as tow boat operators. While some wing keel operators ademantly denied that there was any problem freeing a wing keeled boat, the vast majority of wing keel owners and all of the tow boat operators that I spoke to said that wing keels are much harder to free when they run aground.

Jeff
Jeff,
I've seen this sentiment on SailNet quite a few times, and almost always from Chesapeake Bay sailors.

Sailing Barnegat Bay, where bumping bottom is just part of sailing, I haven't had trouble getting off on the occasional soft grounding (we have a wing).

Did the folks you spoke with make a distinction between a mud and sand bottom? I would think mud would have a suction effect on your keel.

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 08-13-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Chesapeake is a mix of mud and sand, but there was no discussion of bottom types.

In talking with the towboat operators, they unanimously concluded that it just took more force to free similar sized boats with wing keels and that various freeing strategies (fishtailing, bow downing, standing the boat up, or heeling it over) did not seem to work as well.

I had a similar response from some of the owners. There seemed to be a sense that their wing keels had been seriously planted and they were unable to free them when they might have been able to get out with a previous boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 08-13-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcooper0767 View Post
Thanks.
Rob
Obviously I don't want to sail a slug, but....things like PHRF ratings, full keels being able to point higher than wings and other "performance" issues really don't concern me at all.
Old 08-13-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I find that upwind performance matters a lot to me for cruising. I'd rather be sailing than motoring, and being able to point higher and go faster upwind is often the difference between sailing and motoring.

Based on my month long cruise in lower BC this last July I may be in the minority. We were often in short company of sailboats who actually used their sails, especially when going upwind. However we had fun "racing" the others who do like to sail.
Old 08-13-2013

DrB will become famous soon enough
Get the 10M

and blow away everyone of those boats. The thing (10M) is a tank yet goes like a scalded dog. My mooring neighbor has a Catalina 30. He leaves the mooring 5 minutes before we do under motor then starts sailing when he gets about 300 yards away. We leave our mooring under sail and catch him within 10-15 minutes.

Not many boats in it's size range, with it's roominess, and sailing characteristics going to touch it with re: performance. Often you'll have to go up in length/size or much newer design to touch her. For a boat that can be bought for around 15K well equipped, it's a real bargain if you want a fast, comfy, cruiser/racer.

The draft isn't really a factor. In the Chessy, unless your draft is <5 ft, your not really going to be gunk holeing anyway.
Old 08-13-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Get the 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
...My mooring neighbor has a Catalina 30. He leaves the mooring 5 minutes before we do under motor then starts sailing when he gets about 300 yards away. We leave our mooring under sail and catch him within 10-15 minutes....
*hmph* Fastest is not always the bestest.

chuck53 and TJC45 like this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.