Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft" - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Get the 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
and blow away everyone of those boats. The thing (10M) is a tank yet goes like a scalded dog. My mooring neighbor has a Catalina 30. He leaves the mooring 5 minutes before we do under motor then starts sailing when he gets about 300 yards away. We leave our mooring under sail and catch him within 10-15 minutes.

Not many boats in it's size range, with it's roominess, and sailing characteristics going to touch it with re: performance. Often you'll have to go up in length/size or much newer design to touch her. For a boat that can be bought for around 15K well equipped, it's a real bargain if you want a fast, comfy, cruiser/racer.

The draft isn't really a factor. In the Chessy, unless your draft is <5 ft, your not really going to be gunk holeing anyway.
Well it's all about balance and priorities isn't it?

How do you want to use the boat? The Pearson 10M and the Catalina 30 are at opposite ends of the cruiser/racer spectrum and targeted toward very different sailors.

We live aboard every weekend and I can tell you the 10M wouldn't work for us. But then our sailing style is more about relaxed cruising. If you sailed past us I'd wave and smile, spread some more crab dip on a cracker and go back to discussing how bad the Eagles will be this season. You wouldn't hurt my feelings at all

To the OP, I still say the best way to find a boat is to get your spouse and go boat shopping. Getting on board is the only way to figure out what's right for you.
shanedennis and TJC45 like this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2013

DrB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Well it's all about balance and priorities isn't it?

How do you want to use the boat? The Pearson 10M and the Catalina 30 are at opposite ends of the cruiser/racer spectrum and targeted toward very different sailors.

We live aboard every weekend and I can tell you the 10M wouldn't work for us. But then our sailing style is more about relaxed cruising. If you sailed past us I'd wave and smile, spread some more crab dip on a cracker and go back to discussing how bad the Eagles will be this season. You wouldn't hurt my feelings at all

To the OP, I still say the best way to find a boat is to get your spouse and go boat shopping. Getting on board is the only way to figure out what's right for you.
Why wouldn't a 10M work for you aside from maybe the draft (5' 11") too deep for some parts of Barnegat Bay? It has all the creature comforts of a Catalina 30, just larger. It's not a race boat by any means. I can sleep 5+ on real berths, have a two burner stove, full enclosed head with shower, fold down table, lockers, etc. While my 10M doesn't have an oven, some do. I have an decent sized ice box.

And while some folks always say, it isn't always about the speed, to which I mostly agree with, I could argue because I can sail more efficiently (less wind for same speed), I do more sailing than motoring.

The OP said he wanted 10M, but had concerns about it's draft for the Chessy. My point was that unless he gets a boat <5' for a draft to allow him more anchoring areas in the Chessy, a boat that is 5' 3" isn't really any different than one that is say 5' 9" for that purpose. So if he'sgoing to get a boat with a draft over 5', get the one that he already has his eye on.
Old 08-13-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft"

I'm a performance guy. I feel the need for speed. But i also feel the need not to bump my head every time i go down below and have enough creature comforts to spend a week at a time. Figure of what is most important to you. trading seconds per mile for a more comfortable ride is a trade off well made.

Right now i too am looking for a Chessie boat. Cat 30 is on the list as is the Pearson 323. I figure they are fast enough. And, when i get the jonesin' for real speed on a sailboat i'll just take out the Hobie 16 or hitch a ride on my buddy's Hobie Tiger. Not many blow boats gonna touch either of them in the speed department.
Old 08-13-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Why wouldn't a 10M work for you aside from maybe the draft (5' 11") too deep for some parts of Barnegat Bay? It has all the creature comforts of a Catalina 30, just larger. It's not a race boat by any means. I can sleep 5+ on real berths, have a two burner stove, full enclosed head with shower, fold down table, lockers, etc. While my 10M doesn't have an oven, some do. I have an decent sized ice box.

And while some folks always say, it isn't always about the speed, to which I mostly agree with, I could argue because I can sail more efficiently (less wind for same speed), I do more sailing than motoring.

The OP said he wanted 10M, but had concerns about it's draft for the Chessy. My point was that unless he gets a boat <5' for a draft to allow him more anchoring areas in the Chessy, a boat that is 5' 3" isn't really any different than one that is say 5' 9" for that purpose. So if he'sgoing to get a boat with a draft over 5', get the one that he already has his eye on.
DrB, Just wanted to chime in here. Anything over 5 feet is going to limit you in Barnegat. And 5'11" is really pushing it to unusable in most of the bay. While there are parts of the bay that are over 12 feet deep, more of it is between 6 and 8, with large areas of 5 and 6 feet. Many of the marina's, even sailboat marinas, can't handle more than 5 feet of keel.

Last edited by TJC45; 08-13-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-13-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
I'm a performance guy. I feel the need for speed. But i also feel the need not to bump my head every time i go down below and have enough creature comforts to spend a week at a time. Figure of what is most important to you. trading seconds per mile for a more comfortable ride is a trade off well made.

Right now i too am looking for a Chessie boat. Cat 30 is on the list as is the Pearson 323. I figure they are fast enough. And, when i get the jonesin' for real speed on a sailboat i'll just take out the Hobie 16 or hitch a ride on my buddy's Hobie Tiger. Not many blow boats gonna touch either of them in the speed department.
Catalina 30s are known for comfort, not performance nor speed. Definitely not speed. "Fast enough" for a performance and speed lover may leave you disappointed. Unless, of course, you're racing against another C30, in which case you can give yourself the illusion of flying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-13-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
DrB you asked so please take this as comparing differences not criticizing your boat.

We spent a fair bit of time looking at different boats before deciding the C30 was the best boat for us. We wanted a boat that wasn't a slug but had a comfortable motion. Shallow draft (3'10") for Barnegat Bay and would be comfortable living aboard every weekend and occasionally for a week or more. The boat should also have good resale value if we decided to go to something larger at some point.

Comparing Pearson 10M's on yachtworld to our boat a couple of things jumped out at me. First the 5'11" draft would really limit us on the Barnegat. It's not at all unusual for us to be sailing with only 18" under our keel 4' keel. It's also not unusual for us to bump bottom.

Cockpit. Our cockpit is roomier, with an open transom and stern seats that are a favorite for my wife and guests. On our boat the traveler is on the cabin top and the wheel is at the back of the cockpit. On the 10M both the traveler and the wheel block the companionway. It makes tweaking the main sheet and handling your jib lines a bit easier than ours but would drive me crazy living aboard and squeezing past them (I'm a big dude). Do I lose a couple of seconds when I have to set the autopilot and go forward to adjust the traveler? Yep, but for our style of sailing that's OK.

Ground tackle. Our anchor lives in a bow roller making anchoring easier. All lines are run to the cockpit, so you don't have to go to the mast to raise/lower the sail or to reef.

Belowdeck. We have an "L" shaped settee that I've enlarged. It gives us plenty of room to stretch out and comfortable corners to curl up with a book or watch TV. The interior of the 10M with the parallel bench seats (and sea berths above the settees?) seems much tighter, though you actually have 2" more beam. The usable room in the 10M salon seems more comparable in size to my friend's 28 O'Day. But if those are sea berths they make perfect sense for a race crew.

The galley is also a big difference. Ours is big enough to cook real meals and we have an oven that can cook a warm stew on chilly fall day. The 10M galley seems more suited to re-heating meals for the on deck crew.

Like I said just different priorities.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 08-13-2013

DrB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
DrB you asked so please take this as comparing differences not criticizing your boat.

We spent a fair bit of time looking at different boats before deciding the C30 was the best boat for us. We wanted a boat that wasn't a slug but had a comfortable motion. Shallow draft (3'10") for Barnegat Bay and would be comfortable living aboard every weekend and occasionally for a week or more. The boat should also have good resale value if we decided to go to something larger at some point.

Comparing Pearson 10M's on yachtworld to our boat a couple of things jumped out at me. First the 5'11" draft would really limit us on the Barnegat. It's not at all unusual for us to be sailing with only 18" under our keel 4' keel. It's also not unusual for us to bump bottom.

Cockpit. Our cockpit is roomier, with an open transom and stern seats that are a favorite for my wife and guests. On our boat the traveler is on the cabin top and the wheel is at the back of the cockpit. On the 10M both the traveler and the wheel block the companionway. It makes tweaking the main sheet and handling your jib lines a bit easier than ours but would drive me crazy living aboard and squeezing past them (I'm a big dude). Do I lose a couple of seconds when I have to set the autopilot and go forward to adjust the traveler? Yep, but for our style of sailing that's OK.

Ground tackle. Our anchor lives in a bow roller making anchoring easier. All lines are run to the cockpit, so you don't have to go to the mast to raise/lower the sail or to reef.

Belowdeck. We have an "L" shaped settee that I've enlarged. It gives us plenty of room to stretch out and comfortable corners to curl up with a book or watch TV. The interior of the 10M with the parallel bench seats (and sea berths above the settees?) seems much tighter, though you actually have 2" more beam. The usable room in the 10M salon seems more comparable in size to my friend's 28 O'Day. But if those are sea berths they make perfect sense for a race crew.

The galley is also a big difference. Ours is big enough to cook real meals and we have an oven that can cook a warm stew on chilly fall day. The 10M galley seems more suited to re-heating meals for the on deck crew.

Like I said just different priorities.
Thanks. Yes, a draft of 5' 11" would be an issue in Barnegat Bay. The traveler in the cockpit (10M) can get in the way when lounging, but I makes it single handing easy as does the wheel forward near the sail controls. I wish my boat had a true anchor locker. The other thing that my boat does well for me is the headroom in the salon. I am 6' 6" and can fit in the 10M, while I can't in many 30-36' boats.
Old 08-13-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Just get the Tartan 37 and be done with it
T37SOLARE and dvuyxx like this.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 08-13-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

I "moved up" from a C&C 30 MKI to a C&C 30 MKII. Draft for the wing keel is 4' 10"

Space down below is bigger than most 30 footers, including the Catalina 30.

Aft cabin, walk through transom, aft head with room for a comfortable shower, six opening ports (not including the companionway and forward hatch), big lazarettes, propane locker and 6' 2"+ headroom throughout the cabin.

I think if you compared this boat with most other boats below 34' you would be amazed.

Did I mention it's pretty darn fast and easy to sail?
Old 08-14-2013

Robcooper0767 is on a distinguished road

Spent much of today with 4 year old daughter as wharf/dock rats. Getting the wife to go boat shopping is like me trying to get her to go look at motorcycles with me.......uh, no.
Looked at C&C 34 MKI, MKII may be out of price range.
C&C 30 and Catalina 30 are probably too small, didn't get a great vibe on C&C 34 MKI, but didn't go inside, not sure if I've looked at the C&C 30 MKII, or the price.
DrB, I love the 10M but concerned over the "classic interior" and the draft... it's not out, but Jim's comment about roomier cockpit, open transom (not a must have), and the "L" shaped settee that gives us plenty of room to stretch out and comfortable corners to curl up with a book or watch TV may be a key for family. The interior of the 10M with the parallel bench seats, or even say an older Sabre 34 with same setup, like my P30, may not be what we end up with.....jury is still out.
Now, I did see a Tartan 37 right across from the C&C 34......wow, muscular, nice looking boat, interested in seeing one inside, any leads for Western Chesapeake (northern) area?
While some say Catalina is the Chevy of boats (don't anyone be insulted, but we've all heard it one way or the other), I'm considering the C34, 36 (Wing versions), and now, the C38 Shoal Draft (Sparkman and Stevens design....love it!) - the C38 has a great PHRF at 123 and the C34 and C36 respectable 140's to high 150's. If I can find a C38 with shoal that I can afford.......Are the 34's and 36's ok for the Bahamas run (not far, but Ocean none the less..
The Tartan 37 and Pearson 34, 33-2, 36-2 with CBs, and the Pearson 37 with Wing keel work for me.....have to do interior considerations and still wonder if CB's will clunk at anchor or dock when trying to sleep (these are quality boats, hope it wouldn't be noisy, anyone know?)
Saw Beneteau's, Hunters and other Fractional's, sorry, still not in the running.....like the Mastheads.
What I did figure out, by seeing and with all your comments so far, is that I saw a beautiful Ericson Racer/Cruiser today (probably 34-36 ft) next to the Tartan 37. It was sleek, looked and I was told, was fast, and comfortable below. Problem was it had more winches on the cabin top, and the Tartan looked plain/simple with much less "equipment". Many of you have said, stop worrying about PHRF/speed.....here's the thing: I know that I want a challenging/"faster" boat, not a bobber. But, since I will probably be singlehanding it, as my wife has 99.9% of her eyes on Juliana when we're sailing, and when I do get to "beer can race" someday, I'll need to do most of the work....many winches, adjustments, equipment just isn't in the cards. I'm not a "racer" and don't plan to do it professionally at 54 years of age!
Dollars and Draft: family friendly cockpit and interior, fast enough for my enjoyment......I'm narrowing the field, but seem to keep dreaming about boats that may be out of reach, dollar-wise. But, offers never hurt anyone in a buyers market.
Keep those inputs coming, if you know of some of these that an owner would be gracious enough to let me on board and "feel it", preferably not too far from home, please respond or PM me.
And keep it going, you all are really helping.
Thanks
Rob
Passeggiata - Pearson 30, #644

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.