Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft" - Page 6 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2013
Just A Member

Dick6969 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft"

Have you looked at a Pearson 323? 4.5 Draft.
Pearson 323 Hull #89 (Frayed Knot)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2013

Robcooper0767 is on a distinguished road

I did and the PHRF is in the mid-170's. I'm trying to stay at the 150's or lower if possible. I think the 323 is more of a cruiser, than cruiser/racer.....total sail area is 477.02, vs about 510 to 550 for the 33-2, 34, 34-2's and they all sit in the 150 arena. I do like the interior layout, if it had the performance too, it would be a keeper for me!
Passeggiata - Pearson 30, #644
Old 08-17-2013

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

I've owned a 1985 Cal 33-2 shoal keel for the last 4 years and it would seem to fit your requirements pretty well. Base PHRF rating is 138 and draft is 4'8". Most seem to be priced from high 20s to 40s. I like the interior layout much better than most boats her size and its a great performer in both light and heavy winds. Here's a link with data.

CAL 33 (HUNT) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Old 08-17-2013

Have a CAL 35 MKII I found on Sailboatlistings.com - 1984 Cal 35 MK II sailboat for sale in Massachusetts
That I've saved....it's nice too, a Lapworth design. - 5' fin keel
The 33 (Hunt) Shoal (yours) is a very nice boat.....I've got that on the list too, Any issues I should know of with CALs?
I didn't mean to exclude them, for whatever reason they fell off, but shouldn't have. My 30' decision was shortlisted to P30 and CAL30, and I found a P30 I liked/condition I wanted first.

Appreciate the reminder.....what are the things to look for/avoid (other than the "obvious" moisture in deck, etc. Did CAL 33 and 35's have any known, special problems to look out for?
THanks again,
Rob
Old 08-17-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Cal's (and lots of other boats) have the chainplates mounted to wooden bulkheads instead of to fiberglass knees. You need to give special attention to those in a survey to make sure that there isn't any rot.

I haven't been on a Pearson 33-2, but I'd guess that the chainplates go to fiberglass knees like in my 28-2. There is no bulkhead in a suitable location. I really like how these boats are rigged.

As an aside it's weird that Pearson rounded up the name of the 32.5' long boat to 33-2, but rounded down the name of the 28.5' boat to 28-2. There is a 4' difference in length, but a 5' difference in naming convention.
Old 08-17-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

The answer to your needs is a C&C 35 MKIII k/cb. Draft is 4'6" board up and 7 board down. Nice weighted board so it doesn't rattle in its trunk. Great 6'6" interior headroom. C shaped setee makes it a great set up for cruising. We sail the Chessie and also take her offshore to Ne England every year.

Most C&C are not cored hulls so don't let others scared you off. Thickness of hull fiberglass is huge compared to most boats. Topside have end grain balsa core which makes the boat stiff.
Lines lead aft. Gigantic anchor compartment and very large V compared to the other boats you are looking at. Large refrigerated box at 6 cubic , nice safe galley.

This model is a true racer/ cruiser which will keep you at the front of the pack with others on your heels with a PHRF of 127. Set up with drastic inboard jib tracks which allow for very tight pointing angles to windward and when it pipes up you drop the cb and sail inside made others. Good quality workmanship, nice warm teak inside with very little on the outside. Great lines.

We bought ours with a Sabre 36, and a Tartan 37 in close competition. It came down to which was in the best condition.

If you want a truly fast hybrid which is comfortable...can't go wrong with most C&C . Feel free to PM me if you wish to.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-18-2013

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcooper0767 View Post
Appreciate the reminder.....what are the things to look for/avoid (other than the "obvious" moisture in deck, etc. Did CAL 33 and 35's have any known, special problems to look out for?
THanks again,
Rob
Never been on a Cal 35, but the construction of my 33-2 is impressive. The shrouds are NOT just tied to plywood bulkheads, but stainless rods tie the loads into the structural grid. Hull is solid (no core) and interior finish is a step above most of the popular boats of her day. Engine access is exceptional. No unique issues to watch out for that I'm aware of.
Old 08-18-2013

@Alex W: And why is the 34-2 really a 34.5' boat!! And the "old" P34 is a 33.78'.......one explanation might be the same as the one for my P30, a 29 and change' boat. The P30 has to be "under 30'" to allow it to compete on the race circle when it was first introduced...I think that the P34 might have similar rationale, but maybe the later Pearsons didn't have that race thing that they had to meet.....or something??

@Dave and Jim,
Thanks for info. As I further and further refine, I'm using the input to search in smaller and smaller circles.
Interesting that the Sabre 34MKI is a nice, nicely built boat, but 20 points higher than the MKII. I'm not sure what I'm really getting on a MKI that would justify the traditional layout inside and a higher PHRF number than the nicer, faster MKII that is over 50K and out of my range.

SABRE: Any Sabre owners want to chime in on the MKI....I know there is a very faithful following, and they are built well, but the galley, creature comforts (shower), seem limited on a 34'er.
Old 08-18-2013

@Dave,
What year is your 35 MKIII?
Old 08-18-2013

@Dave
Check this one out. Since you have one, This has an "unconventional" 5'5" keel. Was that a C&C option keel, or something someone did?
1984 C&C Mark III 35 sailboat for sale in Michigan
Pretty boat!
Thanks

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.