Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft" - Page 7 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2013

Robcooper0767 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft"

Here's a CB version in MA. (4'2" draft)
1985 C&C 35 sailboat for sale in Massachusetts

Here's one that has a 5'5" keel (That I noted in earlier page asking if this has an "unconventional" 5'5" keel. a C&C option keel, or something someone did through keel modification?).
1984 C&C Mark III 35 sailboat for sale in Michigan
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/29273

Anyone know either of these boats?....or the answer to the 5'5" keel?
Rob
Passeggiata - Pearson 30, #644

Last edited by Robcooper0767; 08-18-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2013

Question for all:
Thinking about Keel/CBs and the comments on "marine growth" etc. that can cause problems. As noted, we are very north Chesapeake Bay, but if we relocate to Norfolk or New Bern area, would we face a bigger growth problem? I know that bottoms get a whole lot messier even above Baltimore, at Middle River. MD. I plan to take the boat out of the water each winter like I do here.....but, if Norfolk or New Bern are not in the freeze zones, do I need to take it out each year? Or, do most folks "just do it" to give their boats a break/for inspection and bottom work?
Haven't lived down in those areas, so really don't know.
Old 08-19-2013

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

I am not of fan of keel/CB boats. Just something else to maintain and have problems with (board jamming, cable breaking, etc). A Pearson 34 in our club almost sank when the fitting for the CB cable broke. I am happy with the performance of my shoal keel Cal 33-2.
Old 08-19-2013

swimnfit is on a distinguished road

Rob,

Not certain if the C34 is still in consideration for you but I certainly would not write it off just yet. Although I'm a West Coaster, many folks I know are sailing in the same waters that you are sailing. The C34 has a fantastic layout, easy to maintain and has a very solid owners site to answer any questions you might have.
BTW.. Thank You for your service... I am also retired Navy :-)

Check out the C34IA site. lots of answers to any question you may have regarding the C34.

Wing Keels vs. Fin Keels

Main Message Board

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“A wet sheet and a flowing sea, / A wind that follows fast / And fills the white and rustling sail / And bends the gallant mast.”
The Following User Says Thank You to swimnfit For This Useful Post:
Robcooper0767 (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013

S:
Appreciate your comments, thank you for your Service to our Nation!
I'm still considering them. A fellow in the Marina I'm temporarily at with the P30 (he works at the Marina) gave me his keys to his C34 (1988). This boat is probably in the best shape of any sailboat I have ever seen (I'm not exaggerating at all). Large cockpit, large foredeck for the girls to tan (yes, we know they will), and nice belowdecks. What I did notice is the aft head "shortens" the cabin from the ladder forward. The vee berth seems very "close", since there is no midships head to lengthen the visual distance to the vee berth bulkhead. That took some getting used to and I just stayed below to get adjusted to it. It is a VERY family friendly layout, I know the wife would like it. Sailing characteristics are good, nice PHRF rating.
It's still on the list......the "newer ones", like John's 1988 are probably as old as I want to go. Can you tell me when the 1988-like design would have begun? Since C34's are so large in numbers, did that "1988" look start a few years earlier? I noticed that the Catalina Yachts emblem is the "newer" design on his boat, on the port and starboard stern area...
Thanks for the websites!
R
Old 08-19-2013

BTW:
I know many have asked why I care about PHRF for a "family boat". I probably should have explained that while I do want a competitive racer/cruiser for future beer can racing, I use the PHRF as a good litmus test for the turn of speed I'm looking for. Seems the 150's and below are where I'm feeling most comfortable.
R
Old 08-19-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL:1076127
I am not of fan of keel/CB boats. Just something else to maintain and have problems with (board jamming, cable breaking, etc).
Often as we see here, opinions are often based on just that, opinion. But how often do we get facts? While I have only owned our boat for 8 years, only once have I had to do any maintenance other than paint our c/b. I pulled the c/b to reglass the eye for the pennet ...that was it. It was a about a 4 hour project give or take. True it is another item to maintain, same can be said for a fridge for example. In the big picture of boat ownership, its pretty insignificant. For the Chesapeake a c/b offers a lot of positives with few drawbacks.

Key is finding manufacturers who built good c/b designs.
chef2sail likes this.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 08-19-2013

I've noticed too that many CB'ers don't even put the board down and use the boat basically with a shoal keel depth.......go figure.
Old 08-19-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcooper0767 View Post
BTW:
I know many have asked why I care about PHRF for a "family boat". I probably should have explained that while I do want a competitive racer/cruiser for future beer can racing, I use the PHRF as a good litmus test for the turn of speed I'm looking for. Seems the 150's and below are where I'm feeling most comfortable.
R
Read about the base handicap for PHRF too. It is usually something like 500 seconds. A 170 vs 150 boat is only about 3% slower, not the 13% that you'd guess if you did ((170/150)*100)-100.

I have a boat that is pretty typical speed wise of 30' cruisers with base PHRF in the 170s, setup for cruising (dodger, anchor, fixed prop, etc) we were given a PHRF of 201. When cruising I find that we still pass a lot of boats that should have a base PHRF in the 130s, the difference between the two isn't that great and really comes down to paying attention to sail trim. I've also been passed by boats that have a higher PHRF than mine, but that are being better sailed.

There are a lot of ways that a boat with a base handicap of 170 could outperform a boat with a base handicap of 150. A folding prop, smaller dodger, not dragging a dinghy, and better sails would more than make up that difference.

Even if the true handicaps were 20 seconds apart that is a difference of 5 minutes on a 30 mile day.

I think it's worth paying some attention to PHRF if you want to avoid really slow boats, but I wouldn't worry about the difference of 20 seconds.
Old 08-19-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
I am not of fan of keel/CB boats. Just something else to maintain and have problems with (board jamming, cable breaking, etc). A Pearson 34 in our club almost sank when the fitting for the CB cable broke. I am happy with the performance of my shoal keel Cal 33-2.
That comment is really one for one particular boat in one marinia. There is no reason a keel/ cb boat would have more chance of sinking than any other boat.

Not sure how Pearson made their C/B but ours is on a cable which run through a thru hull with a stainless steel conduit attached to it with the opening above the deck. Irt is never benn hard to maintain, you change the cable as part of regular maintainence every 3 years, Takes 15 minutes. It attaches to the end of a 500 lb weighed cb. The trunk cabinet in the keel; it tucks into is wide enough and the diver says there is no more growth than the rest of the hull.

The performance you gain with a CB is noticeable to windward.

If you keep you boat on the Chessie you will find you need a diver to go down a couple times a year no matter where you keep it. We are mid to north in Rock Creek. Good bottom paint...ours is on its third year, a diver to wipe off the prop and shaft and touch up the hull is all you need. Since you are north, sometimes we go into Still Pond, and Sassafrass, and I snorkel under the boat and wipe her off as there are no nettles there.

Many good manufacturers made k/ cb boats like Bristol, Shannon, Island packet, Tartan Sabre, C&C Morgan etc. I have never heard of any great number sinking because of the centerboards.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner